Some advice on WiFi on Wanadoo please

Old January 1st 06, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
iMark

Default Some advice on WiFi on Wanadoo please

I hope anyone in this newsgroup might be able to shed some light on the
following.

My (English) girlfriend and me live in the Netherlands and we bought a
Linksys kit (ADSL modem/router/WiFi + PCMIA card) in the Netherlands to
give as a Christmas present to her parents.

I got as far as getting the connection on their Wanadoo account. It
worked alright with email but not with any browsing. According to both
the Linksys and Wanadoo helpdesk I had to reset the MTU value to either
1450 (Linksys) or 1500 (Wanadoo). 1450 did not work and 1492 is the
highest value I could enter in the Linksys router.

After two nights of struggling I did get the result I was looking for
and we took the kit back to Dixons in NL and got our money back.

Can anyone recommend a combination of ADSL modem/router/WiFi that will
work with their Wanadoo connection?

TIA for any help.

Regards from Amsterdam,

iMark

--
Reporter: What do you think of western civilization?

Mahatma Gandhi: I think it would be a good idea.
Old January 1st 06, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
iMark

Phil Thompson wrote:

what kit ?

Linksys WAG54G ADSL Gateway.

I got as far as getting the connection on their Wanadoo account. It
worked alright with email but not with any browsing. According to both
the Linksys and Wanadoo helpdesk I had to reset the MTU value to either
1450 (Linksys) or 1500 (Wanadoo). 1450 did not work and 1492 is the
highest value I could enter in the Linksys router.

1492 MTU sounds like PPPoE the UK uses PPPoA. in any case it would be
the PC MTU you should have changed.

It was set up as PPPoA. Where do you change the MTU on a computer? I
only work with a Mac at home and have never had any problems with my
Speedtouch 580.

Right now PC World has a £65 bundle of a Linksys ADSL wireless modem
router and a USB thingy. You may have bought the right kit but
configured it wrong.

The bundle I bought had the WAG54G + a PCMIA card which I prefer to a
USB thingy. After calling a couple of helpdesks the kit still didn't
work so I very much doubt if it was my configuring.

iMark
Old January 2nd 06, 03:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

If your email is working, then there is nothing wrong with your connection.
It could be your browser doesn't get the settings from DHCP server.
Try setting the gateway to the IP of the router (e.g. 192.168.1.1) or if
that still doesn't help
set the client IP address manually (e.g. 192.168.1.10 subnet mask
255.255.255.0)
Regards,
Martin

Old January 2nd 06, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 20:37:55 +0100,
(iMark) wrote:

Linksys WAG54G ADSL Gateway.

that's the right thing for Wanadoo. A quick RTFM reveals
"MTU and Size. The MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) setting specifies
the largest packet size permitted for
network transmission. Select Manual and enter the value desired in the
Size field. It is recommended that
you leave this value in the 1200 to 1500 range. By default, MTU is
configured automatically."

I see if its set to Auto it defaults to 1492 MTU, but not having
played with one I can't comment on whether you can put 1500 in if you
change it to manual, the above suggests you should be able to.
Sometimes a firmware upgrade resolves such anomalies.

It was set up as PPPoA. Where do you change the MTU on a computer?

Google for DrTCP.exe - on a Windows XP computer you make a registry
entry if the MTU needs to be different to the default ethernet 1500.

only work with a Mac at home and have never had any problems with my
Speedtouch 580.

congratulations.

The bundle I bought had the WAG54G + a PCMIA card which I prefer to a
USB thingy. After calling a couple of helpdesks the kit still didn't
work so I very much doubt if it was my configuring.

it worked for email and is the right thing, so I'll leave you to
decide if it was your end or not :-)

Phil

Old January 2nd 06, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
iMark

First of all, thanks for your replies.

Phil Thompson wrote:

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 20:37:55 +0100,
(iMark) wrote:

Linksys WAG54G ADSL Gateway.

that's the right thing for Wanadoo. A quick RTFM reveals
"MTU and Size. The MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) setting specifies
the largest packet size permitted for
network transmission. Select Manual and enter the value desired in the
Size field. It is recommended that
you leave this value in the 1200 to 1500 range. By default, MTU is
configured automatically."

I checked all that after RTFM.

I see if its set to Auto it defaults to 1492 MTU, but not having
played with one I can't comment on whether you can put 1500 in if you
change it to manual, the above suggests you should be able to.
Sometimes a firmware upgrade resolves such anomalies.

I checked for a firmware upgrade too. It had the latest version. :-(

It was set up as PPPoA. Where do you change the MTU on a computer?

Google for DrTCP.exe - on a Windows XP computer you make a registry
entry if the MTU needs to be different to the default ethernet 1500.

That's something I did not know. I expected it to be at the modem end,
not the computer, a Toshiba A60 (Win XP, SP2).

The bundle I bought had the WAG54G + a PCMIA card which I prefer to a
USB thingy. After calling a couple of helpdesks the kit still didn't
work so I very much doubt if it was my configuring.

it worked for email and is the right thing, so I'll leave you to
decide if it was your end or not :-)

There must be some incompatibitly between the computer and the modem.

Thanks again for your advice. We may buy other gear in the UK next time
and have another go.

iMark
Old January 2nd 06, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

Network Type PPPoA

Domain Name Server 195.92.195.95
195.92.195.94

I use the above settings in my Netgear DG834G Router. I am also with
Wanadoo 512 unlimited.

I recommend the Netgear DG834G Router also. Fantastic connections. Have to
force a reboot once per month or else DNS times out.

I have found problem with some other router, like the DLINK that drops the
DNS connection, so that you can connect to the email server but cant browse
the net.

Dont get those problems with the DG834G with the new v3.0125 Firmware.

hope this helps

uptime 595:19:48 to date:

news:1h8hspe.1r332nnathsw6N%[email protected] IDxs4all.nl...