New router/firewall

Old January 1st 06, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Molesworth

Default New router/firewall

I've given up trying to log in to my old Safecom, even though it
synchronises better than my 3Com on my currently noisy phone line.

After this experience I think I want a new router, something reliable
that will work under adverse conditions. I'd like an SPI firewall with
the ability to open ports for online gaming.

It would be nice to have VoIP, and the ability to throttle MAC or IP
addresses on the network. Don't really need wireless.

Any suggestions?
--
Nigel M
Old January 1st 06, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message

I've given up trying to log in to my old Safecom, even
though it synchronises better than my 3Com on my
currently noisy phone line.

After this experience I think I want a new router,
something reliable that will work under adverse
conditions. I'd like an SPI firewall with the ability to
open ports for online gaming.

It would be nice to have VoIP, and the ability to
throttle MAC or IP addresses on the network. Don't really
need wireless.

Any suggestions?

www.avm.de/en - available in wired or wireless versions. Modem/router/VoIP
ATA all in one. Excellent firewall and no need to forward ports for VoIP.
Also has QoS for the VoIP connections. Only problem is a single Ethernet
port, but multi-port switches are cheap enough.

I've been using the non-wireless version for 5 or 6 months and it's been
faultless.

Ivor

Old January 1st 06, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

The new Draytek Vigor 2800 does it all. About £125 from on line suppliers

Peter Crosland

Old January 1st 06, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 16:26:24 +0000, Nigel Molesworth wrote:

After this experience I think I want a new router

Sorry, should have said (although it could be deduced) I want a
built-in ADSL modem as well.

--
Nigel M
Old January 1st 06, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

wrote:

After this experience I think I want a new router

Sorry, should have said (although it could be deduced) I
want a built-in ADSL modem as well.

The AVM box has this.

Ivor

Old January 1st 06, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Noted. The version with ADSL modem should be released before long.

Peter Crosland

Old January 1st 06, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

Peter Crosland wrote:
The new Draytek Vigor 2800 does it all. About £125 from on line
suppliers

Peter Crosland

Or maybe the 2600, I imagine they will soon be reduced in price as the 2800
comes in.
--
Adrian A

Old January 1st 06, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 17:15:44 -0000, Peter Crosland wrote:

Noted. The version with ADSL modem should be released before long.

Now confused: "The Vigor2800's primary WAN interface (its link to the
outside world) is its built-in ADSL modem"

Only thing it doesn't have is VoIP. I guess that would be a 2800V.

--
Nigel M
Old January 1st 06, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Noted. The version with ADSL modem should be released before long.

Now confused: "The Vigor2800's primary WAN interface (its link to the
outside world) is its built-in ADSL modem"

Only thing it doesn't have is VoIP. I guess that would be a 2800V.

The confusion is mine! I should have written that the version with VOIP will
be released soon.

Peter Crosland

Old January 2nd 06, 03:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

You can get Vigor 2600V on eBay at half price, they are dead reliable so I
have no worries getting mine that way.
Regards,
Martin