How are things with Plusnet?

Old January 3rd 06, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default How are things with Plusnet?

Just got my Mac key and considering my options to move to someone cheaper
than BTYahoo.

I have had my eye on Plusnet for months now and wondering what the service
is currently like?

I know all about the p2p restrictions and am not bothered as I am not a user
of those services. I simply use adsl for email, messaging, web and online
gaming. Are they worthy of my 15 per month?

Old January 3rd 06, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marc B

Look at my previous thread, Escape from Tiscali. I've gone for Broadband
PAYG rather than Broadband Plus from Plusnet as it suits my low useage. I
should get transferred to Plusnet tomorrow.

Marc

Old January 3rd 06, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
keymaster

"Beck" wrote in message
Just got my Mac key and considering my options to move to someone cheaper
than BTYahoo.

I have had my eye on Plusnet for months now and wondering what the service
is currently like?

I know all about the p2p restrictions and am not bothered as I am not a
user of those services. I simply use adsl for email, messaging, web and
online gaming. Are they worthy of my 15 per month?

Hi
I suggest they are a shadow of their former greatness and you need look no
further than plusnet.service.customer-feedback newsgroup or the plusnet
section in the adslguide website forums to see that.
should you need further convincing lookey here =
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/com...action=Compare

hope this helps
Roy

Old January 3rd 06, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Marc B wrote:
Look at my previous thread, Escape from Tiscali. I've gone for
Broadband PAYG rather than Broadband Plus from Plusnet as it suits my
low useage. I should get transferred to Plusnet tomorrow.

Thanks

Old January 3rd 06, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

keymaster wrote:
Hi
I suggest they are a shadow of their former greatness and you need
look no further than plusnet.service.customer-feedback newsgroup or
the plusnet section in the adslguide website forums to see that.
should you need further convincing lookey here =
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/com...action=Compare

Thanks, I was just reading adslguide earlier. I would imagine the amount of
complaints on forums are minor compared to the amount of customers they
have.
I haven't been up to date on recent things going on. Have they done any
more smeaky changing of the terms and conditions? Last one I heard was the
idle timeout (which would not affect me as I have a router).

Old January 3rd 06, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

When they first put the packet shaping in it crippled my Internet
connection for all the things it was supposed to be throttling midly.
They fixed that. Now however over the last week ftp and usenet have
become unuseable (except like text.news.plus.net which are higher up in
the shaping hierachy so for the first time I have actually switched over
to using that).
For several days now we have been unable to update our websites hosted on
a server in another location. I have had two responses on the ticket, one
telling me that the packet shaping should not affect me at the moment
(well duh, why else would I raise a ticket) and another asking me if I am
seeing problem with anything else other than ftp.
IMO the packet shaping goes wrong too often and isn't fit for full blown
usage but if you just want web and email it should be fine because that
the kind of user PlusNet is now targetting their products at.

--
Colin
Old January 3rd 06, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

cw wrote:
[...]

Could your problem be on the other server?

Old January 3rd 06, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Marc B wrote:
Look at my previous thread, Escape from Tiscali. I've gone for
Broadband PAYG rather than Broadband Plus from Plusnet as it suits my
low useage. I should get transferred to Plusnet tomorrow.

How long did the migration take?

Old January 3rd 06, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Beck wrote:

Just got my Mac key and considering my options to move to someone
cheaper than BTYahoo.

I have had my eye on Plusnet for months now and wondering what the
service is currently like?

I know all about the p2p restrictions and am not bothered as I am not
a user of those services. I simply use adsl for email, messaging, web
and online gaming. Are they worthy of my 15 per month?

I have been with them for about 20 months, and am perfectly happy - despite
all the griping by some people about capping/shaping etc.. I was originally
on a Premier account, but downgraded to PAYG on the first anniversary. Since
I consistently use between 1 and 2 GB per month, I pre-pay an extra quid for
the second GB, since it's slightly cheaper that way - and I don't have to
worry about my usage. [I don't go in for gaming, so I can't comment on
that].

If you *do* go with them, you could save me a few bob by quoting my referral
code (mills37) when you sign up. [Once you're a customer, you can retreive
part of monthly subscription by referring others.]
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 3rd 06, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Tiscali Tim wrote:
I have been with them for about 20 months, and am perfectly happy -
despite all the griping by some people about capping/shaping etc.. I
was originally on a Premier account, but downgraded to PAYG on the
first anniversary. Since I consistently use between 1 and 2 GB per
month, I pre-pay an extra quid for the second GB, since it's slightly
cheaper that way - and I don't have to worry about my usage. [I don't
go in for gaming, so I can't comment on that].

If you *do* go with them, you could save me a few bob by quoting my
referral code (mills37) when you sign up. [Once you're a customer,
you can retreive part of monthly subscription by referring others.]

Thanks Tim, for the info. If I do sign up, I already have promised a
referral from someone else.
Have you had any notable problems?