Determining IP Address

Old January 3rd 06, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Neil Cameron

Default Determining IP Address

I have a Demon ADSl account with a 'fixed' IP address.
My ADSL connection is via a Speedtouch 510, connected to a 100Mb Ethernet
hub and a WAP - the Speedtouch provides DHCP and NAT.
I have 7 PCs in the house - on one I have MP3 files I want to stream from
outside; in order for this to work I need to know the fixed Internet-facing
IP Address of THAT specific PC.
How do I detect/specify this?

--
Neil

Old January 3rd 06, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Neil Cameron wrote:

I have a Demon ADSl account with a 'fixed' IP address.
My ADSL connection is via a Speedtouch 510, connected to a 100Mb
Ethernet hub and a WAP - the Speedtouch provides DHCP and NAT.
I have 7 PCs in the house - on one I have MP3 files I want to stream
from outside; in order for this to work I need to know the fixed
Internet-facing IP Address of THAT specific PC.
How do I detect/specify this?

It doesn't have one! The whole point of using NAT is that, from the outside
world, each of your PCs appears to have the *same* IP address - namely the
fixed address allocated by your ISP.

If your 510 supports Virtual Servers, you may be able to route external
traffic to a specific internal (LAN) IP address based on the port to which
it is sent. I am quoting below, part of the Help file from my 3Com router in
case it's relevant:

Virtual Servers
This function will allow you to route external (Internet) calls for services
such as a web server (port 80), FTP server (Port 21), or other applications
through your Router to your internal network. Since your internal computers
are protected by a firewall, machines from the Internet cannot get to them
because they cannot be 'seen'. If you need to configure the Virtual Server
function for a specific application, you will need to contact the
application vendor to find out which port settings you need. To manually
enter settings, enter the IP address in the space provided for the internal
machine, the port type (TCP or UDP) and the LAN & Public port(s) required to
pass, select Enable and click "Set". You can only pass one port per internal
IP address. Opening ports in your firewall can pose a security risk. It is
recommended that you disable the settings when you are not using a specific
application.
The ports for well known services are listed below: AUTH port 113
FTP port 21
ISAKMP port 500
Email (POP3) port 110
Email (SMTP) port 25