Why is BB such a crap system?

Old January 3rd 06, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Why is BB such a crap system?

With so many sync problems is it correct that
BT failed to provide ISP's with SNMP management
or even basic loopback facilities to their
customers exchange NTU?

Similarly a facility for an ISP's customer
to initiate a basic loopback and BERT test to
his exchanges NTU?

And are ISP's spending most of their budget
on advertising and little on their own links
to LINX? It sometimes feel that we are all
in contention on one 10Mb Ethernet link from
our ISP to the outside world.

Maybe BT isn't interested in BB and has
(reluctantly) been forced to embrace it.
Professional corporate comms is monitored
from end to end, and often fault rectification
is in hand before the user reports it.
The network SNMP management having raised
a fault alert. It seems to me as if most
ISP's don't realise there is a fault until
their customers ring in to complain, then
they are reluctant to admit to any problem.
Old January 4th 06, 12:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

wrote in message

loads of stuff sniped

every thought about complaining to pipex?????????

Old January 4th 06, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 21:31:26 GMT, wrote:

[...]

Considering what it costs and the infrastructure that it has to be
delivered over, xDSL broadband is generally pretty decent. Adding
such functionality and complexity would no doubt drive up costs to the
point where consumers can't afford it, which defeats the object of it
being available in the first place.

As it happens there are a few providers (us included) that will offer
a managed broadband service, in which case we provide a Cisco router
and proactively monitor the connection status. But expect to pay
significantly more.

Larger businesses should not be relying on xDSL broadband IMO, if
connectivity is critical then leased lines are still the only sensible
option. Any IT manager that relies on xDSL for critical corporate
comms needs to think hard about whether they're doing the right thing
(and about their own job security when it all goes pear shaped!!).
Unfortunately when it does go wrong everybody tries to pin the blame
on the ISP and/or BT rather than admitting to the boss that they
skimped on the connection so they could afford a shiny new set of
servers and 19" TFT screens out of the IT budget.

Regarding IxP connections (LINX, etc.) then why not log on to your
provider's looking glass (
http://www.bbeng.gxn.net/cgi-bin/lg.pl ) and
run a few checks for yourself from there?

Jake
--
Address munged but valid - remove mungbeans.
Old January 4th 06, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

Muxton wrote in
:

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 21:31:26 GMT,
wrote:

Regarding IxP connections (LINX, etc.) then why not log on to your
provider's looking glass (
http://www.bbeng.gxn.net/cgi-bin/lg.pl ) and
run a few checks for yourself from there?

How do you use this site? It's asking me all sorts of questions that don't
mean a lot to me and there doesn't seem to be a "how to use this site" page
anywhere. Is there an idiots' guide anywhere?

Old January 5th 06, 12:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

wrote:
With so many sync problems is it correct that
BT failed to provide ISP's with SNMP management
or even basic loopback facilities to their
customers exchange NTU?

Does it matter to 'normal' home ISP customers?

Similarly a facility for an ISP's customer
to initiate a basic loopback and BERT test to
his exchanges NTU?

Sorry, don't understand what you're asking.

And are ISP's spending most of their budget
on advertising and little on their own links
to LINX? It sometimes feel that we are all
in contention on one 10Mb Ethernet link from
our ISP to the outside world.

er .... hmmmm. You get what you pay for ?

Maybe BT isn't interested in BB and has
(reluctantly) been forced to embrace it.
Professional corporate comms is monitored
from end to end, and often fault rectification
is in hand before the user reports it.

.... and is paid for with significantly higher prices.

The network SNMP management having raised
a fault alert. It seems to me as if most
ISP's don't realise there is a fault until
their customers ring in to complain, then
they are reluctant to admit to any problem.

ISTM that most ISP's deliver a basic BB package at a cut-down price to
service the majority of home internet users needs.

If you want all you ask for, then maybe you ought to pay for it.
Personally, I prefer cheaper prices and a connection that works, not
stuff that I, my family and my small business will never need.

--
The Caretaker .........
Old January 5th 06, 12:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 21:27:38 -0000, "Martin Underwood"
wrote:

Muxton wrote in
:

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 21:31:26 GMT, wrote:

Regarding IxP connections (LINX, etc.) then why not log on to your
provider's looking glass (
http://www.bbeng.gxn.net/cgi-bin/lg.pl ) and
run a few checks for yourself from there?

How do you use this site? It's asking me all sorts of questions that don't
mean a lot to me and there doesn't seem to be a "how to use this site" page
anywhere. Is there an idiots' guide anywhere?

Looking glasses are useful for checking bits and pieces of network
info from locations other than your own, usually somewhere in the host
ISP's network core. I wouldn't worry too much about using it if I
were you, they're generally only useful for network engineering
purposes.

I referred the OP to it cos he seemed to have a gripe about LINX
connectivity and his provider appears to be Pipex, so he could run a
few pings and traceroutes from inside their network to a few
destinations (via the looking glass) to see the raw data for himself.

Jake
--
Address munged but valid - remove mungbeans.
Old January 5th 06, 12:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

kraftee wrote:
The Caretaker wrote:

wrote:

With so many sync problems is it correct that
BT failed to provide ISP's with SNMP management
or even basic loopback facilities to their
customers exchange NTU?

Does it matter to 'normal' home ISP customers?

Similarly a facility for an ISP's customer
to initiate a basic loopback and BERT test to
his exchanges NTU?

Sorry, don't understand what you're asking.

He's asking for a test system which will allow every user to
individually test for errors & the like, the only thing is that if he
wants it he can do it with a little bit of know how using basic dos
commands or even an off the shelf package like Neotrace.

What the OP really wants is a self test system like there is with ISDN
(If you had the money to buy the equipment of course) provided free
for a fraction of the price. In other words another something for
nothing whinge,,

LOL, I _did_ know.

I was trying to make the point, as you have, that what he wants is
usually much more expensive than on a 'standard' home ADSL / BB line.

--
The Caretaker .........