Router setup - HGxx for BT Broadband

Old January 3rd 06, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

Default Router setup - HGxx for BT Broadband

On 3 Jan 2006 14:27:32 -0800, [Rory] said :-

Got bounced into installing a router for my Father-in-Law over
Christmas.
Stumbling through the set up wizard (Netgear DG834) I entered his
and eventally it connected and worked, but took
ages to find each internet page. I put it down to the local exchange
being busy and got back to celebrating Christmas.
I got home and realised that on my connection there's a HGxx number.
So went back to FIL's house today (internet access seemed OK today
before I changed anything) and checked his ADSL modem connect login and
it's simply . I also now realise that the router
will work with anything before @ and doesn't need a password. I reset
these and it all works fine now.

My question is: Is the HGxx optional on the 'service' login,

It is optional.

or should
he be using that, even though the service works fine without it?

No need, since it works without.

You may like to set up your news reader to point at
news.btinternet.com and ask in the relevant BT support newsgroup
Old January 4th 06, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Pearce

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 07:47:48 -0000, "kraftee"
wrote:

BT Broadband doesn't use H(ome) G(ateway)s as such so it's not
included in the DSL login, as for passwords that would depend on which
flavour of BT Broadband he has subscribed to..

BT (Business) Broadband still uses the "HG" nomenclature AFAIK.
Old January 4th 06, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

wrote:

BT Broadband doesn't use H(ome) G(ateway)s as such so it's not
included in the DSL login, as for passwords that would depend on
which flavour of BT Broadband he has subscribed to..

BT (Business) Broadband still uses the "HG" nomenclature AFAIK.

Different kettle of fish, different services, different service levels
etc...

Old January 4th 06, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rory

Seems the HGxx isn't used (or at least, is ignored) now - I changed my
own router today from nameAThgxx.btinternet.com to
anythingATbtbroadband.com (and took out the password) and it works fine.