Cabling stapler.

Old January 4th 06, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Rupert

Default Cabling stapler.

Can anyone recommend where to get a specific stapler and staples for UTP
Cat5?

Thanks,

Rupert

Old January 4th 06, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Howes

Rupert wrote:
Can anyone recommend where to get a specific stapler and staples for UTP
Cat5?

From my experience, the ones to avoid are those staple guns that do not have a
head which holds the cable firmly in place while it blats round staples around
it. Otherwise, you end up sending the occasional staple through the cable,
which is embarrassing, especially if you do it infront of customers (although I
have lost count of the number of times I've done this and actually managed not
to sever any conductor, I still replace the cable).

Unfortunately, very few web sites show pictures of the business-end of their
staple guns. You may be better off going to a shop where you can examine the
business end to make sure it holds the cable out of harms way.

As for staples, I just use ordinary 12mm round staples (Clarke part number
1800230, cpc.co.uk TL06017 0.95 for a box of 500.
Old January 4th 06, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Alan Brown

"Rupert" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend where to get a specific stapler and staples for UTP
Cat5?

Thanks,

I use one of these

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...6&r=2084&g=111

I've never had any problems with it and it has a small guide that holds the
cable in place before staping. You can just about see it in the image. I
wouldn't say that its a "professional" stapler for use all day but it does
the job I use it for which is the occasional networking installation.

Alan Brown

Old January 4th 06, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband

On 04/01/2006 12:46, Rupert wrote:
Can anyone recommend where to get a specific stapler and staples for UTP
Cat5?

Thanks,

Rupert

You could try www.netshop.co.uk they used to sell such things, B&Q may
even still sell a tool suitable for CAT5
Old January 4th 06, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Kenee

"Arrow T25" Cable stapler, I got mine from local hardware store , they
ordered it in for me.

Old January 4th 06, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Tennant

Kenee wrote:
"Arrow T25" Cable stapler, I got mine from local hardware store , they
ordered it in for me.

I can also recommend the Arrow's. They use a metal pin that is coated
with a inlay so as not to put too much pressure on the cable but still
hold it in place. The staple guns also have no problem with plaster and
hard wood surfaces.

Bit more than your B&Q fare but worth it.

S.
Old January 5th 06, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband

"Simon Tennant" wrote in message
Kenee wrote:
"Arrow T25" Cable stapler, I got mine from local hardware store , they
ordered it in for me.

I can also recommend the Arrow's. They use a metal pin that is coated
with a inlay so as not to put too much pressure on the cable but still
hold it in place. The staple guns also have no problem with plaster and
hard wood surfaces.

Nobody has yet mentioned that CAT5 should not be stapled because the metal
staple around the cable causes a negative affect on the 'self canceling' EMF
generated by the twisted pairs.

(so my mate told me).

I have stapled many small installation but my mate cables thousands of
points installations and has a 4000 tester and he wouldnt staple a cable
for love nor money.

Old January 6th 06, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Sucuba Dude

Kenee wrote:

" Nobody has yet mentioned that CAT5 should not be stapled because the metal
staple around the cable causes a negative affect on the 'self canceling'
EMF generated by the twisted pairs."

Better not run them in metal framed buildings either then.... There was me
thinking the wires were insulated and the pairs were balanced. You learn
something new every day.

Old January 6th 06, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband

Kenee wrote:

" Nobody has yet mentioned that CAT5 should not be stapled because the
metal
staple around the cable causes a negative affect on the 'self canceling'
EMF generated by the twisted pairs."

Better not run them in metal framed buildings either then.... There was me
thinking the wires were insulated and the pairs were balanced. You learn
something new every day.

I detect sarcasm.

I am first to admit I am not the fountain of all knowledge. the idea that
the twist in the pairs cancel out EMF but by putting a metal clip around the
cable it interferes is just what I was told by my mate who is a certified
connectix installer, I understand the theory and why it is is probably true
but I don't expect you to.

needless to say, those who understand whats being said here will understand
metal trays and metal framed buildings are not a problem.

you just learned something Sucuba Dude!

Old January 6th 06, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Kenee wrote:

" Nobody has yet mentioned that CAT5 should not be stapled because
the metal
staple around the cable causes a negative affect on the 'self
canceling' EMF generated by the twisted pairs."

Better not run them in metal framed buildings either then.... There
was me thinking the wires were insulated and the pairs were
balanced. You learn something new every day.

When Cat 5 cabling (normally for ISDN extensions) was introduced to
the colleagues I work with we were instructed that we had to use a hot
glue gun to fix the cables in place. Well those were never forth
coming (surprise, surprise) so the only gun we had to use was a cleat
gun, we never had any problems but to be honest the number of ISDN
extensions we put in are very small in the order of things..