Which ADSL for homeworker (VPN)

Old January 4th 06, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Which ADSL for homeworker (VPN)

I work from home one day a week and currently use Metronet as my ISP.
This allows me to connect via the internet (over VPN) to my work
network.

Metronet have just been bought by Plusnet and they have already started
hinting that things are going to 'improve' (ie services that I dont
want and masive price rises etc)

....so im preparing for a posible change of providers - but my choice
*might* be restricted by the fact im not just a bog standard browser
plus email user, but will be connecting over various other IP ports.

Which ISPs offer value for money and allow 'full' internet access?

Thanks

David Bevan
http://www.davidbevan.co.uk

Old January 4th 06, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
keymaster

wrote in message
oups.com...
I work from home one day a week and currently use Metronet as my ISP.
This allows me to connect via the internet (over VPN) to my work
network.

Metronet have just been bought by Plusnet and they have already started
hinting that things are going to 'improve' (ie services that I dont
want and masive price rises etc)

...so im preparing for a posible change of providers - but my choice
*might* be restricted by the fact im not just a bog standard browser
plus email user, but will be connecting over various other IP ports.

Which ISPs offer value for money and allow 'full' internet access?

Thanks

David Bevan
http://www.davidbevan.co.uk

Hi
well I just done a runner from plusnet to newnet seen to offer lots for
little.
cheers
Roy

Old January 5th 06, 01:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

PlusNet is one of the cheapest ISP's, there is no reason to expect a price
rise.
If you just use browser and email, you won't be affected by any of the
'traffic shaping',
that upset the heavy users.
ASFAIK no ports are blocked.
No reason to panic, but of course there is no harm in looking around.
Regards,
Martin

Old January 8th 06, 03:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Martin² wrote:

there is no reason to expect a price rise.

Someone on the basic 1000 kbps will pay 13.75/month and gets an
allowance of 2 GB of traffic, while Plus.Net charges 14.99, and
I doubt anyone on the 11.75 account will be allowed to pay that
small a monthly fee in future.

ASFAIK no ports are blocked.

Yet no guarantee that traffic calming will not affect some users
now, or at any time in the future, since it could be implemented
"on a whim" and initially denied, then later confirmed, and much
later fixed (or not, depending on how they feel). Peter M.