general question about broadband and dial up

Old January 6th 06, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Reid

Default general question about broadband and dial up

I don't know much about how broadband works. I currently have
dial up with NTL (unmetered) and my websites and email are at a
metered dial up number hosted by Freedomnames.
If I switch my NTL unmetered to broadband does it effect my
metered dial up or will it still just function the same as
before?
I assume NTL will give me an email address with the broadband so
I can redirect my website email to that address and receive it
"always on".
Anything false in my "logic"?
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email [email protected] this site
Old January 6th 06, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

The Reid wrote:

I don't know much about how broadband works. I currently have
dial up with NTL (unmetered) and my websites and email are at a
metered dial up number hosted by Freedomnames.
If I switch my NTL unmetered to broadband does it effect my
metered dial up or will it still just function the same as
before?
I assume NTL will give me an email address with the broadband so
I can redirect my website email to that address and receive it
"always on".
Anything false in my "logic"?

Are you saying that, in order to upload information to your webspace, you
have to dial a *different* number from the one you use to dial into NTL -
and that you cannot upload to it when dialled into NTL?

If that is the case, you will *still* have to dial into your webspace
provider to upload data even when your internet connection is on broadband.
You can do that using an ordinary alalog modem (the one you use at present)
connected to the *voice* side of the connection.

But everything else you want to do will work ok.

--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 6th 06, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

The Reid wrote:

I don't know much about how broadband works. I currently have
dial up with NTL (unmetered) and my websites and email are at a
metered dial up number hosted by Freedomnames.
If I switch my NTL unmetered to broadband does it effect my
metered dial up or will it still just function the same as
before?
I assume NTL will give me an email address with the broadband so
I can redirect my website email to that address and receive it
"always on".
Anything false in my "logic"?

There shouldn't be any effect on your metered dial-up. However, once you
have broadband, you may prefer to be able to do your website maintenance
via broadband. I don't know if your web hoster would allow this though.
The advantages to doing it via broadband are numerous though- you may
want to consider it at some point?

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old January 8th 06, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Reid

Following up to Tiscali Tim

Are you saying that, in order to upload information to your webspace, you
have to dial a *different* number from the one you use to dial into NTL -
and that you cannot upload to it when dialled into NTL?

If that is the case, you will *still* have to dial into your webspace

Yes, that's the case and I'm quite happy to do that as long as
there are no hidden problems of using dial up and broadband..
Old January 8th 06, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Reid

Following up to David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of
besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy

I don't know if your web hoster would allow this though.
The advantages to doing it via broadband are numerous though- you may
want to consider it at some point?

hello!
I had a look at their website, they offer their own broadband
service with a 70 install charge, while NTL is free. I dont
really understand the mechanics, NTL put a cable down the street
and into our house, what happens if I want broadband from other
than them? Presumably its something like differeing gas and elec
suppliers?
Old January 8th 06, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

The Reid wrote:
Following up to David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of
besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy

I don't know if your web hoster would allow this though.
The advantages to doing it via broadband are numerous though- you
may want to consider it at some point?

hello!
I had a look at their website, they offer their own broadband
service with a 70 install charge, while NTL is free. I dont
really understand the mechanics, NTL put a cable down the street
and into our house, what happens if I want broadband from other
than them? Presumably its something like differeing gas and elec
suppliers?

It is completely different, NTL offer their services down their own
cables (if you are in a NTL cabled area) if you want broadband from
any one else (other than AOL I've been led to believe) you will
require a BT line into your house to carry the service..

Old January 8th 06, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

The Reid wrote:

Following up to Tiscali Tim

Are you saying that, in order to upload information to your
webspace, you have to dial a *different* number from the one you use
to dial into NTL - and that you cannot upload to it when dialled
into NTL?

If that is the case, you will *still* have to dial into your webspace

Yes, that's the case and I'm quite happy to do that as long as
there are no hidden problems of using dial up and broadband..

I've no experience of NTL cable, but with a BT line you can certainly have
one computer using a dial-up connection with a modem at the same time as
other computer(s) are connected via broadband. If you want to use one
individual computer sometimes on BB and sometimes on dial-up, you may need
to re-boot it each time you change over. I see no reason why the same thing
shouldn't work with cable. Of course, once you get used to BB, you'll find
dial-up painfully slow - but it's not too bad for uploading files to
websites using ftp - providing you're not sending huge files.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 9th 06, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Reid

Following up to Tiscali Tim

If you want to use one
individual computer sometimes on BB and sometimes on dial-up, you may need
to re-boot it each time you change over. I see no reason why the same thing
shouldn't work with cable. Of course, once you get used to BB, you'll find
dial-up painfully slow - but it's not too bad for uploading files to
websites using ftp

its only a once in a while activity, so wont be a big issue.
Old January 10th 06, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Reid

Following up to kraftee

It is completely different, NTL offer their services down their own
cables (if you are in a NTL cabled area) if you want broadband from
any one else

Its just struck me that my news comes from
news.international.net, I suppose I cant get that through the NTL
broadband connection?
Old January 10th 06, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

The Reid wrote:

Following up to kraftee

It is completely different, NTL offer their services down their own
cables (if you are in a NTL cabled area) if you want broadband from
any one else

Its just struck me that my news comes from
news.international.net, I suppose I cant get that through the NTL
broadband connection?

Of course you can! What makes you think that?
--
Cheers,
Tim