A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Dial up email from Broadband



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 6th 06, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John G
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Dial up email from Broadband

I am at the moment using BT Pay as You Go and I am thinking of changing to
Nildram Broadband. I would like to keep and use my btinternet email address.
If I keep it alive by accessing it from Pay as You Go once a month is there
anyway I can use it from Nildram broadband?

Many thanks
John


  #2  
Old January 6th 06, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 182
Default Dial up email from Broadband

John G wrote:
I am at the moment using BT Pay as You Go and I am thinking of
changing to Nildram Broadband. I would like to keep and use my
btinternet email address. If I keep it alive by accessing it from Pay
as You Go once a month is there anyway I can use it from Nildram
broadband?

Many thanks
John


It looks like you're using Outlook Express, Click on Tools, Accounts,
Highlight your BT mail account then click properties, then click connection
and untick the box 'always connect using' you will then be able to retrieve
your mail with any connection available. You will still need to dial up if
you ever wish to send mail from that account.
--
Adrian A


  #3  
Old January 6th 06, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John P
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 62
Default Dial up email from Broadband

Adrian wrote:
John G wrote:
I am at the moment using BT Pay as You Go and I am thinking of
changing to Nildram Broadband. I would like to keep and use my
btinternet email address. If I keep it alive by accessing it from Pay
as You Go once a month is there anyway I can use it from Nildram
broadband?

Many thanks
John


It looks like you're using Outlook Express, Click on Tools, Accounts,
Highlight your BT mail account then click properties, then click connection
and untick the box 'always connect using' you will then be able to retrieve
your mail with any connection available. You will still need to dial up if
you ever wish to send mail from that account.


You will be able to send mail from that account but you will need to
change your outgoing mailserver to the Nildram smtp server.

JP
  #4  
Old January 6th 06, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 182
Default Dial up email from Broadband

John P wrote:
Adrian wrote:
John G wrote:
I am at the moment using BT Pay as You Go and I am thinking of
changing to Nildram Broadband. I would like to keep and use my
btinternet email address. If I keep it alive by accessing it from
Pay
as You Go once a month is there anyway I can use it from Nildram
broadband?

Many thanks
John


It looks like you're using Outlook Express, Click on Tools, Accounts,
Highlight your BT mail account then click properties, then click
connection and untick the box 'always connect using' you will then
be able to retrieve your mail with any connection available. You
will still need to dial up if you ever wish to send mail from that
account.


You will be able to send mail from that account but you will need to
change your outgoing mailserver to the Nildram smtp server.

JP


You are of course correct, I'd forgotten that for some reason.
--
Adrian A


  #5  
Old January 7th 06, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jack Ouzzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 30
Default Dial up email from Broadband

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 19:29:13 -0000, Vhit
wrote:

uk.telecom.broadband , John G ,

Fri, 6 Jan 2006 19:17:15 +0000 (UTC)

I am at the moment using BT Pay as You Go and I am thinking of changing to
Nildram Broadband. I would like to keep and use my btinternet email address.
If I keep it alive by accessing it from Pay as You Go once a month is there
anyway I can use it from Nildram broadband?


Most people these days tend to register a .co.uk domain from the likes
of
www.123reg.co.uk so they dont have this sort of hassle if/when they
change their isp .

Email sent to the @.co.uk domain can be forwarded anywhere .


I am staggered at the amount of people that don't ... at around 10
for 2 years (can be cheaper for a .co.uk) it saves SO much hassle
.....and can be personal too.


  #6  
Old January 7th 06, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,472
Default Dial up email from Broadband

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 11:48:54 UTC, Jack Ouzzi
wrote:

I am staggered at the amount of people that don't ... at around 10
for 2 years (can be cheaper for a .co.uk) it saves SO much hassle
....and can be personal too.


I've used oneandone for this, and it's 1.99 a year - min 2 years. That's
just for email, but all most people want. And you can get a .me.uk for
the same price - arguably more relevant for an individual.

--
[ 7'ism - a condition by which the sufferer experiences an inability
to give concise answers, express reasoned argument or opinion.
Usually accompanied by silly noises and gestures - incurable, early
euthanasia recommended. ]
  #7  
Old January 7th 06, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John G
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Dial up email from Broadband


"John G" wrote in message
...
I am at the moment using BT Pay as You Go and I am thinking of changing to
Nildram Broadband. I would like to keep and use my btinternet email
address. If I keep it alive by accessing it from Pay as You Go once a month
is there anyway I can use it from Nildram broadband?

Many thanks
John

Thanks very much for your comment.
The reason that I didn't want to change my email address is that I have had
it for going on 14 years and in that time it has become known to a lot of
people. I could do without the hassle of everybody having to change.
Thanks again
John


  #8  
Old January 7th 06, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 291
Default Dial up email from Broadband

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 14:34:03 +0000 (UTC), [John G] said :-


"John G" wrote in message
...
I am at the moment using BT Pay as You Go and I am thinking of changing to
Nildram Broadband. I would like to keep and use my btinternet email
address. If I keep it alive by accessing it from Pay as You Go once a month
is there anyway I can use it from Nildram broadband?

Many thanks
John

Thanks very much for your comment.
The reason that I didn't want to change my email address is that I have had
it for going on 14 years and in that time it has become known to a lot of


14 years ?

BTinternet started in about 1995.

people. I could do without the hassle of everybody having to change.


All you need to do it keep the existing setup you've got for this
email address, but change the smtp server to your new ISP. Some ISPs
may not actually allow you to have any other mail address domain other
than their own when sending, you need to check.

To keep the BTinternet address alive - you need to dial-up at least
once every 90 days, it's not a question of actually accessing the mail
account. There are other ways, such as downgrading it to a Basic only
account. This can only be accessed via web rather than a mail client.
Also, this does not allow for sub accounts or an webspace you may have
set up.
  #9  
Old January 8th 06, 02:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,496
Default Dial up email from Broadband

Bob Eager wrote:

I've used oneandone for this, and it's 1.99 a year - min 2 years. That's
just for email, but all most people want. And you can get a .me.uk for
the same price - arguably more relevant for an individual.


Don't they still add the VAT to their prices, or is it just 1.99 now ?

I hope they now allow customers to set the DNS entries... that was a
problem for me some time back, and I've not touched them for a while.

  #10  
Old January 8th 06, 02:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,496
Default Dial up email from Broadband

Spin Dryer wrote:

14 years ?
BTinternet started in about 1995.


and he'd still be stuffed if they ever decided to change
name... I had a mail address from 1995 for about 8 years
until RCN, the cable firm which took over the small ISP in
Massachusetts, decided to scrap all the old mail accounts!

ultranet.com is still registered to RCN, else I'd have liked
to register it myself, and accept mail again :-) Peter M.

 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UK prefers broadband to dial-up JohnT uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 5 July 20th 05 12:45 AM
Broadband and Dial up. Donald McTrevor uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 16 June 30th 05 03:08 AM
Broadband *and* dial-up? Cap'n uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 12 May 6th 05 11:51 PM
broadband used with dial-up Jane Vernon uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 3 May 24th 04 10:30 PM
dial up & broadband on same pc vinyljukie uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 3 January 14th 04 12:07 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.