Eclipse and 2Mbps ADSL connection

Old January 8th 06, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve C

Default Eclipse and 2Mbps ADSL connection

Hi folks,

I've been with Eclipse for about 3 years now with a 1Mbps connection.

As I'm using it for both Business and Domestic - I have to have an
Eclipse "Business" account (so you can have your Company name on the
invoice etc.etc).

Anyhow - I'll cut to the chase.. To go 2Mbps with Eclipse as a
business customer is £34.00 a month plus VAT

Yet - all people registered as "home users" pay £23.95(incl VAT) for a
1Mbps connection and then Eclipse - double your speed to 2Mbps for
FREE.

I contacted Eclipse about 6 months ago and said I didn't want to pay
£34 a month when home users get is for £23.95- and I was told that
business users will be getting a separate deal shortly..

Clearly nothing is forthcoming, and the fool that I am - have done
nothing about it and am still paying £30.00 for my 1Mbps connection
(yep- and home users pay £23.95 for 2mbps - how fair is that??)

So - Now I've got some time to look into this - my only requirements

2Mbps connection (can get 2Mbps on my line)

Unlimited data transfer (none of this maximum download per month crap)

At least 2 Static Public IP's (I've got SMTP/POP3/HTTP and a few
other bits and pieces that I need for business) Eclipse are currently
providing me a /29 for free (only reason I've stayed with them for
now)

ISP who doesn't block ports

I know this question is how long is a piece of string.. But given my
only requirements above.. which short-list of ISP's should I take a
look at ??

Any pointers would be usefull. I've started looking at
ADSLGUIDE.org.uk and there are lots of ISPs and reviews etc - but some
personal experiences via this N/G wouldn't go a miss!

TIA

Steve C.
Old January 8th 06, 01:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

"Steve C" wrote in message
[...]

Don't you also need it billed to a business name? If this is not an issue
why don't you get Eclipse to give you a home account?

I know this question is how long is a piece of string.. But given my
only requirements above.. which short-list of ISP's should I take a
look at ??

Static IP addresses narrows the list some what. I think ZEN used to be
pretty much the same as Eclipse and did static IP's.

Old January 8th 06, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve C

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 13:58:35 -0000, "David Wade"
wrote:

Don't you also need it billed to a business name? If this is not an issue
why don't you get Eclipse to give you a home account?

Sorry - Yes.. Needs to be invoiced to a business for tax / VAT
purposes.
Else, yes - I'd see if Eclipse could change the account type

The other thing I forgot was that I wanted an ISP that doesn't
throttle bandwidth.

Static IP addresses narrows the list some what. I think ZEN used to be
pretty much the same as Eclipse and did static IP's.

Is ZEN a preferably ISP over Eclipse?

Thanks David for your reply.

Regards

Steve
Old January 8th 06, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
David Wade wrote:

"Steve C" wrote in message
.. .

I know this question is how long is a piece of string.. But given my
only requirements above.. which short-list of ISP's should I take a
look at ??

Static IP addresses narrows the list some what. I think ZEN used to be
pretty much the same as Eclipse and did static IP's.

I'm with Zen. I have a /29 routed down the line. They have no caps, blocks, etc.
and I have a domestic account, but they send me a monthly bill/invoice to my
company name.

It's £35 a month though, but I feel it's worth it - when I got connected
there was a problem with the exchange and they were good at chasing up BT
and keeping things going and keeping me informed until I was happy with
my connection (2Mb solid)

Gordon
Old January 8th 06, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Steve C says...
Anyhow - I'll cut to the chase.. To go 2Mbps with Eclipse as a
business customer is £34.00 a month plus VAT

Yet - all people registered as "home users" pay £23.95(incl VAT) for a
1Mbps connection and then Eclipse - double your speed to 2Mbps for
FREE.

slight correction...Eclipse 2 meg is £29.99 a month for home users. The
1Mbps connection is only 'doubled' during the Flex promotion period.

People paying £23.95 a month get a 2Mbps connection at the exchange
which is then throttled back to 1Mbps by Eclipse.

Business packages often don't have the pound-for-pound equivalence to
home products at many ISPs. When I used to be with BT, they charged
roughly the same rate for the packages but added VAT on top for the
business tariff. With the home one VAT was included. They did explain
that the package was costed differently and it also reflected their
additional costs in collecting payment by manual (invoice) methods and
the additional charges and workload it generated.

FR
Old January 9th 06, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Matthews

"Steve C" wrote in message
[...]

snip

But Business Connections are on a 20 to 1 Contention Ratio, rather than a 50
to 1 Ratio that applies to a private line. If you are on a busy exchange
(lots of students where I live) you will tell the difference after 5:00 p.m.
if you change back to a "private line" connection.

Roger, Aberystwyth

Old January 9th 06, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve C

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 16:38:24 +0000, Brian Morrison
wrote:

On 08/01/06 Steve C wrote:
Anyhow - I'll cut to the chase.. To go 2Mbps with Eclipse as a
business customer is £34.00 a month plus VAT

Yet - all people registered as "home users" pay £23.95(incl VAT) for a
1Mbps connection and then Eclipse - double your speed to 2Mbps for
FREE.

I presume the Business offering is also 20:1 contention rather than
50:1, that alone must add to their costs.

No.. I'm on a 50:1 contention ratio.
The lower contention is significantly more money per month.

Steve C
Old January 9th 06, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve C

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 21:13:36 -0000, Flying Rat wrote:

In article , Steve C says...
[...]

FR - You've raised a valid point to which I never thought about.

I think the flex promotion period has now ended? - I can flex to 2Mbps
as and when, and the cost of doing so (per hour) is not really
expensive.

And yes.. I do pay by Invoice as a business customer (still on 50:1
though, not 20:1 as someone else suggested I may be)
and I pay quarterly - and run them out to 30 days (without penalty)
... and then there's the /29 statics which I have..

I think all in all given the comments I've seen so far.. I'm probably
better sticking with the devil I know.. The service has been good,
else I would have sloped off before now.. Tech Support (was) ok when I
last used it (quite some time ago).

I'm not tempted to move at the moment unless anyone else thinks I'm
wrong?

Thanks for everyone's input.. appreciated.

Steve
Old January 9th 06, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

And yes.. I do pay by Invoice as a business customer (still on 50:1
though, not 20:1 as someone else suggested I may be)
and I pay quarterly - and run them out to 30 days (without penalty)

You won't payment terms like that on any other account I know..

.. and then there's the /29 statics which I have..

You can get those from Eclipse on a domestic line

I think all in all given the comments I've seen so far.. I'm probably
better sticking with the devil I know.. The service has been good,
else I would have sloped off before now.. Tech Support (was) ok when I
last used it (quite some time ago).

Could you get a company credit card to charge the bill too, so you could
have the cheaper rate. You would have to pay monthy ....

Old January 10th 06, 03:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Steve C says...

I think the flex promotion period has now ended? - I can flex to 2Mbps
as and when, and the cost of doing so (per hour) is not really
expensive.

I've never used it as the few pounds Eclipse want to keep you on 2Mbps
rather than 1Mbps isn't really excessive. So I have Flex 2000.

The trial period did prove one thing...they have the capacity for the
forthcoming upgrades and to take on any migrations from other ISPs.
Having everyone who had free flexing taking advantage of it helped them
do network planning and testing.

And yes.. I do pay by Invoice as a business customer (still on 50:1
though, not 20:1 as someone else suggested I may be)
and I pay quarterly - and run them out to 30 days (without penalty)
.. and then there's the /29 statics which I have..

Which is worth a lot to many people. Some companies could chop you off
for going a day over. If you have a 'good working relationship' with a
supplier like that then again it's valuable.

The problem BTConnect had with invoices is that they need to employ
someone to raise them, and then the extra cost of using manual means to
process payments. That takes up employee time and bank charges, so they
charge more. I assume Eclipse cost their deals the same way.

I used to regularly go over the thirty days with Viking Direct office
supplies, and rarely got a reminder call before sixty days had elapsed.
Even with that happening regularly they never bothered as long as it got
paid and my account was kept open with no charges. Same thing really.

I think all in all given the comments I've seen so far.. I'm probably
better sticking with the devil I know.. The service has been good,
else I would have sloped off before now.. Tech Support (was) ok when I
last used it (quite some time ago).

I'm not tempted to move at the moment unless anyone else thinks I'm
wrong?

There's a lot of guff being talked about service deterioration, but I've
not seen it. Support is outstanding (I had an exchange problem and they
worked hard on it for me with useless BT) which is why I am happy at
Eclipse. Again, as a business that has to be worth something to you. Zen
are dearer but offer the same service quality and no nonsense products.

I'm just extremely happy with Eclipse and don't mind telling people so.

FR