Plusnet - slightly confusing?

Old January 9th 06, 01:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

Default Plusnet - slightly confusing?

I posted previously how I'm finding my connection being throttled. Well I
found these two web pages on the plusnet site that I think are slightly
confusing.

http://portal.plus.net/support/broad...ge_guide.shtml

This one tells how much you can download before having your connection
managed peak time. 100GB usage or 30GB peak time usage. Note it states that
peak-time is 4pm to 12am (midnight) I have never no where near exceeded
these values.

Also this one, plusnet support sent me explaining why my connection was
being throttled

http://www.plus.net/support/broadban...nagement.shtml

Which says that anything you download over 20GB will be throttled, with the
amount of throttling increasing as you download more. It also says that
peaktime is from 8am-midnight. It also says downloads will still be fast but
might take a minute or two longer!! Ha, whatever.

Anybody have any clues?

Had ADSL with Pipex for 4 years before migrating to Plusnet. Only been with
them for three months and hopefully only a few weeks longer!

Dan

Old January 9th 06, 02:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"Daniel" wrote in message
[...]

OK it goes like this.

You are allowed to download 100Gb total a month IN TOTAL before they start
shouting. However of that 100, you are only allowed 30Gb of peak time
useage. Basically...If you exceed 30Gb peak time *OR* 100Gb total you will
be told off. The peak time for this is 4pm - midnight.

COMPLETELY SEPERATLY.....

You are allowed to download 20Gb using p2p, ftp or usenet peak time before
they start throttling you. The peak time for THIS ONLY is 8am-midnight.
After 20Gb you get throttled a bit, after 25 a bit more, 30 a bit more until
finally you are throttled down to 64k (wooo basically dial up speeds!) -
However this throttle should ONLY affect p2p/ftp/undernet transfers, http
should be as fast as usual. The peak time is apparently being moved to
match the other peak time of 4-12 sometime in feburary.

Yes, its confusing, yes its bloody stupid and yes there is no way at present
to see exactly how much p2p/usenet/ftp useage you have used.

Old January 9th 06, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shaun aRe

Default Plusnet - slightly confusing? Plus net Usenet throttling?!?

http://portal.plus.net/support/broad...sage_guide.sht
[...]

We have been having a bloody ****e news service from them lately - we only
do plain text groups so I am sure we cannot be even nearly touching any
limits, but it gets so slow DL'ing even just headers, opening messages and
sending that we have to just give up in the end. Sometimes it just goes off
altogether - server has dropped the connection. Cannot find server. Yet
E-mail and web are just fine. FFS we're paying for this and it's worse than
any of the free accts. I've had by far. The only time it seems to be
reasonable is in the mornings, mostly...

Shaun aRe

Old January 9th 06, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Cannot find server. Yet
E-mail and web are just fine. FFS we're paying for this and it's worse
than
any of the free accts. I've had by far. The only time it seems to be
reasonable is in the mornings, mostly...

ARe you using the correct news server? text.usenet.plus.net is the text only
one that works perfectly.

Peter Crosland

Old January 9th 06, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shaun aRe

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Cannot find server. Yet
E-mail and web are just fine. FFS we're paying for this and it's worse
than
any of the free accts. I've had by far. The only time it seems to be
reasonable is in the mornings, mostly...

ARe you using the correct news server? text.usenet.plus.net is the text

only
one that works perfectly.

Peter Crosland

Ahhh well then, thanks! news.plus.net was the only server name we were given
for news - I was not aware there was another for text only - I will sort
that out tonight - thanks again ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Old January 9th 06, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"James" wrote in news:43c1bb05
:

COMPLETELY SEPERATLY.....

Just something to point out that even though you are allowed to
upload/download X amount to/from these classes of traffic, the traffic is
still counted towards the SUP limits. You don't get 30/100 + X for these
from what I understand. I say X as it varies depending on how much you pay.

--
Colin
Old January 9th 06, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Cannot find server. Yet
E-mail and web are just fine. FFS we're paying for this and it's worse
than
any of the free accts. I've had by far. The only time it seems to be
reasonable is in the mornings, mostly...

ARe you using the correct news server? text.usenet.plus.net is the text

only
one that works perfectly.

Ahhh well then, thanks! news.plus.net was the only server name we were
given
for news - I was not aware there was another for text only - I will sort
that out tonight - thanks again ',;~}~

Your'e welcome.

Peter Crosland

Old January 9th 06, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

What is nildram like as an ISP? Do they shape or throttle traffic?

Thanks

Dan