DG834G misbehaviour?

Old January 9th 06, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Default DG834G misbehaviour?

The Netgear is left on and connected 24/7....

I have occasionally found I was not use the Internet, so I was curious
to know what the problem was. I have put together a small batch file
which pings various items on my LAN, the router, then progresses to
ping several servers on the Internet.

This evening I arrived home to find that none of the software I use
could connect to anything on the Internet, so I ran the above batch
file. It was able to successfully ping all of the IP's my software was
trying to connect to. I then logged into the routers connection status
page and found the Netgear thought it was not actually connected.

The Connection Status page showed as the final item in the list 'LCP is
allowed to come up'. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting via the
buttons on the above page several times, but could not get it to
progress beyond the above 'LCP is allowed to come up'. Power cycling
the Netgear brought it back to normal operation.

So the questions are-

1. How come I could ping, but not connect when the Netgear showed I had
no connection?

2. Why could I not reset the connection via the routers web page?

Just curious, as this problem does seem to recur every few
weeks/months.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old January 9th 06, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MM

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
[...]

its hard to say - usually if LCP is up then your line is OK, but then it
will say something like 'CHAP authentication failed' etc if either you had
the wrong credentials or theres something up at the RADIUS server at the
ISP.

what version of firmware do you have on the DG834G? 3.0.1.25? ...also whos
your ISP?

Old January 9th 06, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

MM has brought this to us :
its hard to say - usually if LCP is up then your line is OK, but then it will
say something like 'CHAP authentication failed' etc if either you had the
wrong credentials or theres something up at the RADIUS server at the ISP.

what version of firmware do you have on the DG834G? 3.0.1.25? ...also whos
your ISP?

I'm using the latest firmware v3, though this problem has been with me
through all of the versions and since I started using broadband
originally with another modem.

ISP is Tiscali and I am around 1km from the exchange with good s/n.

Old January 9th 06, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chirpy

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message

ISP is Tiscali

I think you might have just told us your problem : ))

Old January 10th 06, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MM

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Chirpy formulated on Monday :
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message

ISP is Tiscali

I think you might have just told us your problem : ))

Hmmmm :-)

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

yes - if youve had it across other products from the start then It would
point to the ISP/the physical line etc rather than the router