PlusNet Speed results

Old January 10th 06, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default PlusNet Speed results

Moved over to Plusnet this morning from BTYahoo.
Changeover went smoothly other than setting up the router but thats another
story.

Current speed test of Plusnet is:-

Downstream 474 Kbps (59.3 KB/sec) 511 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 245 Kbps (30.6 KB/sec) 264 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Shall repeat the test during peak times this evening.

Old January 10th 06, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

"Beck" wrote in message
Moved over to Plusnet this morning from BTYahoo.
Changeover went smoothly other than setting up the router but thats
another story.

Current speed test of Plusnet is:-

Downstream 474 Kbps (59.3 KB/sec) 511 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 245 Kbps (30.6 KB/sec) 264 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Shall repeat the test during peak times this evening.

I have been considering them instead of BTY. Which package did you go for?
I hope you'll keep us posted over the next few weeks as to how it is running
only I have seen a few posts on here recently about them throttling (instead
of capping like BTY). My son has gone to Plusnet, he is on the cheapest
package.
--
Keith Willcocks

Old January 10th 06, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Keith Willcocks" wrote in message
I have been considering them instead of BTY. Which package did you go
for? I hope you'll keep us posted over the next few weeks as to how it is
running only I have seen a few posts on here recently about them
throttling (instead of capping like BTY). My son has gone to Plusnet, he
is on the cheapest package.

I am on the 14.99 a month package (not the pay and go one).
I hear they throttle the P2P but I do not use those anyway so its not an
issue for me.

Old January 10th 06, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
K. A. Nuttall

Beck wrote in article :

"Keith Willcocks" wrote in message
I have been considering them instead of BTY. Which package did
you go for? I hope you'll keep us posted over the next few weeks
as to how it is running only I have seen a few posts on here
recently about them throttling (instead of capping like BTY).
My son has gone to Plusnet, he is on the cheapest package.

I am on the 14.99 a month package (not the pay and go one).
I hear they throttle the P2P but I do not use those anyway so its
not an issue for me.

They throttle a variety of protocols by different amounts at different
times of day.

At the moment, usenetters and people using ftp are suffering from slow
peak-time speeds as well.

People going for the cut-price 'Broadband Plus' package get more
throttling on usenet and P2P.

It's all a bit of a minefield. There's a page which tries to explain it
he
http://www.plus.net/support/broadban...nagement.shtml

but you may haemmorage before you get to the end of the page.

--
K. A. Nuttall
www.yammer.co.uk
Old January 10th 06, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
K. A. Nuttall

K. A. Nuttall wrote in article news:[email protected]
84.92.1.10:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadban...nagement.shtml

oh, and by the way, when they say 'fast' and 'average' there's a
certain amount of wishful thinking involved.

I was downloading from usenet at about 30kB/s (I used to manage
240kB/s) the other evening, and my web site uploads seem to take longer
than they used to. I'm on the 'Premier' package, which is supposed to
be the best one.

Funny how much of my internet access seems slower than it did a year
ago when I was only on 1mbit. Speed tests say I'm achieving nearly
1.9mbit, but I think that's calcualted on http traffic.

Old January 10th 06, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

"Beck" wrote in message

"Keith Willcocks" wrote in message
I have been considering them instead of BTY. Which package did you go
for? I hope you'll keep us posted over the next few weeks as to how it is
running only I have seen a few posts on here recently about them
throttling (instead of capping like BTY). My son has gone to Plusnet,
he is on the cheapest package.

I am on the 14.99 a month package (not the pay and go one).
I hear they throttle the P2P but I do not use those anyway so its not an
issue for me.

That's the same deal my son has. He has only just gone on line so it will
be interesting to see how you both get on.

Keith

Old January 10th 06, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"K. A. Nuttall" wrote in message

They throttle a variety of protocols by different amounts at different
times of day.

At the moment, usenetters and people using ftp are suffering from slow
peak-time speeds as well.

Is that all FTP or just FTP to their own webspace?

Old January 10th 06, 06:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

"K. A. Nuttall" wrote in message
It's all a bit of a minefield. There's a page which tries to explain it
he
http://www.plus.net/support/broadban...nagement.shtml

but you may haemmorage before you get to the end of the page.

Bloody hell ... that page is a joke.

The first table made me smile - regarding Platinum level.
If their network is already struggling, how on earth do they expect to run
VOD ?!!?
I guess it's Plusnets reason to dig their hole just a "little" bit deeper
)

Old January 10th 06, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marc B

Went to Plusnet PAYG from Tiscali last week. V happy so far downloading at
1855k compared with an average Tiscali of 200-300k.

Marc

Old January 10th 06, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Beck wrote:

I am on the 14.99 a month package (not the pay and go one).
I hear they throttle the P2P but I do not use those anyway so
its not an issue for me.

I've not used peer-to-peer in the (several years) online on ADSL
but did sometimes want to download from binaries newsgroups (the
majority of files were under 10 MB - jazz tracks as MP3s) though
the speed of that has been especially disappointing on Broadband
Plus - it was slow from the time I started on the account around
six months ago, at 15 kB/s daytime and perhaps double that until
October, but then went down to being practically unusable. When
I enquired, Plus.Net's reply was that access to binaries was not
guaranteed but 'possible' (whereas when I signed up, they had no
mention of Usenet and still, as far as I know, have mostly given
restrictions only about 'heavy downloading' without mentioning a
thing about access to newsgroups only being usable if you happen
to use a text-only news service (and their 'at a glance' servers
page still doesn't mention text.usenet.plus.net which you will
need to use for a reasonable response, else you'll think that it
is a dead server if you have to wait 15 seconds for each body to
be downloaded once you've chosen to view it... or if you d/l all
bodies, you'd best go cook a three-course dinner to give it time
to catch up with the bodies!).... Oh yes, here's the text for a
BB Plus account - see how it (fails to) say Usenet is 'calmed':

"With Broadband Plus you get a great-value broadband experience
that's perfect for web surfing and email. Broadband Plus is not
suitable for data-intensive applications such as file-sharing and
large downloads."

Straight off the product page. As you might have guessed, Beck,
I've been seeing it getting slower and slower. I wish you well,
and so long as you never come into the category of 'heavy user'
all should be well. I've downloaded about 1.5 GB in the past
10 days, but now finding speeds so low that streaming fails,
and my update to MS Windows Media Player stalled part way into
the second file of 8 that had to be downloaded. I have been one
of the heavier users in the last quarter of 2005, but soon I will
be off to pastures new, maybe Clara's off-peak service... Peter M.