Connection test (try 2)

Old January 11th 06, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Halmarack

Default Connection test (try 2)

Hi, if my inability to make a broadband connection is due to TCP/IP
stack or Winsock damage, would this mean that a dial-up connection
from the same Windows XP PC wouldn't work either?
TIA
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Old January 11th 06, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 09:32:20 +0000, Mike Halmarack
wrote:

Hi, if my inability to make a broadband connection is due to TCP/IP
stack or Winsock damage, would this mean that a dial-up connection
from the same Windows XP PC wouldn't work either?

pass, have you reset it ?

Phil

Old January 11th 06, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Halmarack

wrote:

Hi, if my inability to make a broadband connection is due to TCP/IP
stack or Winsock damage, would this mean that a dial-up connection
from the same Windows XP PC wouldn't work either?

pass, have you reset it ?

Thanks, that's useful.
There are some downloadable utilities that can be run to do this.
Their documentation explains that many people's Internet connection is
dependent on additional customised settings within the TCP/IP stack.
Consequently, to run these utilities or reset the TCP/IP stack to it's
default can be destructive and should only be used as a last resort.
I'm trying to find a test that will help to define the cause of the
problem, before resorting to these more drastic measures.

Phil

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Old January 11th 06, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:08:04 +0000, Mike Halmarack
wrote:

There are some downloadable utilities that can be run to do this.
Their documentation explains that many people's Internet connection is
dependent on additional customised settings within the TCP/IP stack.

sounds like complete BS to me

Consequently, to run these utilities or reset the TCP/IP stack to it's
default can be destructive and should only be used as a last resort.
I'm trying to find a test that will help to define the cause of the
problem, before resorting to these more drastic measures.

the reset routing from microsoft is only required because you can't
stop/start or remove/reinstall the stack in XP. Try it !

Phil

Old January 11th 06, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Halmarack

wrote:

There are some downloadable utilities that can be run to do this.
Their documentation explains that many people's Internet connection is
dependent on additional customised settings within the TCP/IP stack.

sounds like complete BS to me

Consequently, to run these utilities or reset the TCP/IP stack to it's
default can be destructive and should only be used as a last resort.
I'm trying to find a test that will help to define the cause of the
problem, before resorting to these more drastic measures.

the reset routing from microsoft is only required because you can't
stop/start or remove/reinstall the stack in XP. Try it !

OK, ta. :-)
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack