Tiscali Assistance Sought

Old January 11th 06, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

Default Tiscali Assistance Sought

A friend is having problems with their Broadand connection so I have been
asked to give it the once over; I suspect the problem is reallly with the
physical wiring in the house, but we shall see.

Meanwhile I have collated together information to enable me to check their
setup which boils down to this lot:

login
incoming email (POP3) pop.tiscali.co.uk
outgoing email (SMTP) smtp.tiscali.co.uk
FTP server ftp.myweb.tiscali.co.uk
Webspace address
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/directoryname
Usenet news.tiscali.co.uk
Primary DNS 212.74.112.66
Secondary DNS 212.74.112.67

A number of questions spring to mind which I feel someone on this group could
answer.
1) Is the syntax for Broadband and Email logon the same or if different what
is it?
2) Do you get just one POP3 mailbox and if more than one is their a URL I can
refer to that shows how you go about setting up additional email account?
3) Any issues with using your own Domain name in your email address using the
Tiscali SMTP?
4) Is it PPoE or PPoA?
5) If I need to call the held desk, what is their number?

Useful responses would be welcomed.
David Bradley

Old January 11th 06, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:10:17 +0000, David Bradley
wrote:

if they don't have a signal most of this won't help, but...

Virtual Circuit Identifier - VCI
38

Virtual Path Finder- VPI
0

Encapsulation Mode
VCMux

Authentication Type
CHAP

Protocol
RFC 2364:PPP over ATM (PPPoA)

Modulation Type
G.DMT or Auto

Primary DNS Server
212.74.112.66

Secondary DNS Server
212.74.112.67

1) Is the syntax for Broadband and Email logon the same or if different what
is it?
2) Do you get just one POP3 mailbox and if more than one is their a URL I can
refer to that shows how you go about setting up additional email account?

http://uk-tiscali.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/uk_tiscali.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=86
you did read the FAQs I hope ?

3) Any issues with using your own Domain name in your email address using the
Tiscali SMTP?
4) Is it PPoE or PPoA?

PPPoA

5) If I need to call the held desk, what is their number?

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/aboutus/con...broadband.html

http://uk-tiscali.custhelp.com/cgi-b...er/std_alp.php

Phil

Old January 11th 06, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

The answers are all on their website!

Peter Crosland

Old January 11th 06, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:01:22 -0000, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

The answers are all on their website!

Peter Crosland

As for all information being on their web site, that's quite a sweeping
statement. I was looking for that bit extra from the experience of those that
had been there, done that. In particular whether there were any issues using
your own domain name pushed through their SMTP server. For most ISPs this is
not an issue but for some there are extra steps to be taken before it will
work, like registration of your domain name with your ISP and/or configuring
the client email with SMTP authentication. If such information is not on the
website, then it is unwise to assume it is not needed.

David Bradley
Old January 11th 06, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sue

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:27:28 +0000, David Bradley
wrote:

In particular whether there were any issues using
your own domain name pushed through their SMTP server. For most ISPs this is
not an issue but for some there are extra steps to be taken before it will
work, like registration of your domain name with your ISP and/or configuring
the client email with SMTP authentication. If such information is not on the
website, then it is unwise to assume it is not needed.

I am with Tiscali Broadband and use any of seven different other ISP
email addresses, both outgoing to the Tiscali mail server, and, of
course, incoming with no problem. I usually use OE but occasionally
use others. I do notice a message saying "Registering your computer on
the system" when I first go online.
Sue