How can Tiscali advertise like this?

Old January 11th 06, 02:18 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
secret squiddle

Default How can Tiscali advertise like this?

They are promoting their 'unlimited' broadband package for 14.99 a month,
but in small print it says fair usage allowance applies!

How can this be advertised as unlimited, when it clearly isn't unlimited at
all?

I know Tiscali aren't the only ISP doing this.

**SS**

Old January 11th 06, 02:25 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Just Another Legal Fan

secret squiddle wrote:

I know Tiscali aren't the only ISP doing this.

Knock AOL all you like but they offer genuine unlimited 24/7 BB

Old January 11th 06, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:18:58 -0000, "secret squiddle"
wrote:

How can this be advertised as unlimited, when it clearly isn't unlimited at
all?

becasue nobody makes a coherent complaint to someone prepared to make
it stick.

Phil

Old January 11th 06, 02:37 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

"secret squiddle" wrote:
They are promoting their 'unlimited' broadband package for 14.99 a month,
but in small print it says fair usage allowance applies!

How can this be advertised as unlimited, when it clearly isn't unlimited at
all?

They can advertise like that until the Advertising Standards Authority
tells them not to.

You can complain to the ASA at http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/how_to_complain/
if you wish. They're quite good at taking action.

Mike.
Old January 11th 06, 04:57 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
gonzo

"Mike" wrote in message
"secret squiddle" wrote:
They are promoting their 'unlimited' broadband package for 14.99 a

month,
but in small print it says fair usage allowance applies!

How can this be advertised as unlimited, when it clearly isn't unlimited

at
all?

They can advertise like that until the Advertising Standards Authority
tells them not to.

You can complain to the ASA at http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/how_to_complain/
if you wish. They're quite good at taking action.

and then they do it again and again. take british gas who apparently last
year had 21 things in their adverts overruled by the ASA and every single tv
advert they ran pulled. of course they just make another misleading advert.
the ASA changes nothing because it doesnt force advertisers to do an equally
publicised retraction so people remember the untrue advert but have no idea
its not true.
cheers
james

Old January 11th 06, 07:06 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Howells

Mike wrote:
They can advertise like that until the Advertising Standards Authority
tells them not to.

You can complain to the ASA at http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/how_to_complain/
if you wish. They're quite good at taking action.

Unfortunately the ASA are highly unlikely to do anything in this
instance. I complained to the ASA about another ISP with a similar
advert and received the following response:

http://ktown.kde.org/~howells/asa-unlimited.pdf

They have got this area badly wrong.
Old January 11th 06, 09:15 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

In message , secret squiddle
wrote
They are promoting their 'unlimited' broadband package for 14.99 a month,
but in small print it says fair usage allowance applies!

How can this be advertised as unlimited, when it clearly isn't unlimited at
all?

Unlimited access to their Network - not an unlimited number of bits to
download/upload.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old January 11th 06, 09:31 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

Unfortunately the ASA are highly unlikely to do anything in this
instance. I complained to the ASA about another ISP with a similar
advert and received the following response:

http://ktown.kde.org/~howells/asa-unlimited.pdf

They have got this area badly wrong.

Wonder what they will say when the norm is for people to use large
bandwidth? I don't think it's that far off when we will have broadband
connected to the TV and can watch what we want when we want and selct a film
to of our choice.

When people start doping that they will use more bandwidth than they ever
thought they would, I giove it two years before we see it as a mass market.

Old January 11th 06, 10:29 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:06:47 +0000, Chris Howells
wrote:

Mike wrote:
They can advertise like that until the Advertising Standards Authority
tells them not to.

You can complain to the ASA at http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/how_to_complain/
if you wish. They're quite good at taking action.

Unfortunately the ASA are highly unlikely to do anything in this
instance. I complained to the ASA about another ISP with a similar
advert and received the following response:

http://ktown.kde.org/~howells/asa-unlimited.pdf

They have got this area badly wrong.

That's disappointing. In effect, the ASA are saying that unlimited
doesn't mean what it says and they're refusing to allow ISPs that
really do allow unlimited bandwidth (within the technical constraints
of the pipe) to distinguish themselves from those who don't.

I do note, though, that they require the "fair usage" qualification to
be made clear within the advertisement so they should still consider a
complaint about any ISP that doesn't make this clear.

Mike.

--
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Old January 11th 06, 10:45 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Howells

It's Me wrote:

Wonder what they will say when the norm is for people to use large
bandwidth? I don't think it's that far off when we will have broadband
connected to the TV and can watch what we want when we want and selct a film
to of our choice.

To an extent it's already started with Sky By Broadband
(http://www.sky.com/skybybroadband/home/0,,,00.html). I imagine some
people are going to get some nasty surprises when they start downloading
stuff on their "unlimited" 14.99 broadband and get charged masses for
going over their allowance etc.