Dial 9 on a ADSL?

Old January 11th 06, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

Default Dial 9 on a ADSL?

"Rob S" wrote in message
Am I going mad?

I've just been speaking to a client who has had ADSL installed on a
separate
number from his switchboard. When he plugs a normal phone into the filter,
he
has to dial a 9 to make calls.

I didn't think this was possible - why does he need to dial a 9 - what
"switchboard" can his ADSL line be going through?

Avaya or Panasonic perhaps? Or maybe they just wire round it at the
exchange end.

(His ADSL internet connection works fine)

-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com

Old January 11th 06, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Pearson

Rob S wrote:
Am I going mad?

I've just been speaking to a client who has had ADSL installed on a
separate number from his switchboard. When he plugs a normal phone
into the filter, he has to dial a 9 to make calls.

I didn't think this was possible - why does he need to dial a 9 - what
"switchboard" can his ADSL line be going through?

(His ADSL internet connection works fine)

His 'switchboard' isn't BT featureline by any chance??
Jon

Old January 11th 06, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Jonathan Pearson wrote:
Rob S wrote:
Am I going mad?

I've just been speaking to a client who has had ADSL installed on a
separate number from his switchboard. When he plugs a normal phone
into the filter, he has to dial a 9 to make calls.

I didn't think this was possible - why does he need to dial a 9 - what
"switchboard" can his ADSL line be going through?

(His ADSL internet connection works fine)

His 'switchboard' isn't BT featureline by any chance??

The switchboard wouldn't make any difference if the 'separate number'
has been installed as a business line, you get Featureline by default and,
even on a single line, that will require a leading '9' to dial a number.

Why they can't turn the '9' requirement off when Featureline is
installed on a single line I don't understand, the '9' is completely
functionless.

--
Chris Green

Old January 12th 06, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

wrote in message

[snip]

I can't quite make up my mind whether that is intended to
be sarcastic or not!

Didn't look it to me.

You could have all the facilities of Featureline without
having to dial '9' before outgoing calls couldn't you?

No.

Ivor

Old January 13th 06, 01:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

wrote:
kraftee wrote:

wrote:
Jonathan Pearson wrote:
Rob S wrote:
[...]

Because if they turned it off it wouldn't be single line
featureline
anymore, simple really if you put your mind to it..

I can't quite make up my mind whether that is intended to be
sarcastic
or not!

You could have all the facilities of Featureline without having to
dial '9' before outgoing calls couldn't you?

Nope, it's the way the software is written. Mind you those services
aren't much good if there's only one...