Tiscali + FUP + VoIP?

Old January 12th 06, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

Default Tiscali + FUP + VoIP?

Hi All,

Now we all know Tiscali have their Fair Use Policy (FUP) in place between
6pm and 11pm every evening, but does anyone know if the FUP disallows the
use of VoIP telephone calls? I ask because recently we had VoIP installed
on the LAN and I am now wondering if Tiscali will be targetting us for using
VoIP in the evenings? Can anyone comment if you know that the FUP means you
cannot use VoIP between 6pm and 11pm?

Thanks

Tony

Old January 12th 06, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John DH

I have tried using voip during the times mentioned.

Because of the very poor service that I get from tiscali, Voip has been
unusable, apart from early in the day.

In fact, I'm thinking of paying tiscali for the remainder of my 12 months
just to get rid of them.

John DH

Old January 15th 06, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Hunt

"John DH" wrote in message
I have tried using voip during the times mentioned.

Because of the very poor service that I get from tiscali, Voip has been
unusable, apart from early in the day.

In fact, I'm thinking of paying tiscali for the remainder of my 12 months
just to get rid of them.

John DH

Yes but do they ban the use of Vo-IP as part of the Fair Use Policy? If
they do, then you wouldn't be able to use Vo-IP in the evenings, which would
basically make Vo-IP not an option with this ISP. Comments anyone?

Old January 15th 06, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 14:06:37 -0000, "Mike Hunt"
wrote:

Yes but do they ban the use of Vo-IP as part of the Fair Use Policy? If
they do, then you wouldn't be able to use Vo-IP in the evenings, which would
basically make Vo-IP not an option with this ISP. Comments anyone?

The FUP refers only to file sharing AFAICS

Phil

Old January 15th 06, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Markus G. Klötzer

Phil Thompson wrote:

The FUP refers only to file sharing AFAICS

VOIP is p2p in the striktest sense

cu

mgk
--
Korpela's 42 Laws about Usenet:
6. On the average, Usenet cannot be much more than average postings by
Old January 15th 06, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Markus G. Klötzer" writes:
Phil Thompson wrote:

The FUP refers only to file sharing AFAICS

VOIP is p2p in the striktest sense

Skype certainly is.
Real VoIP would be a little more debatable.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old January 16th 06, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 17:56:51 +0000, "Markus G. Klötzer"
wrote:

VOIP is p2p in the striktest sense

but not "file sharing" in any sense

"Tiscali's Fair Usage Policy is designed to make sure your broadband
service is quick and reliable whenever you use it. A very small number
of customers use Peer to Peer or file sharing software, which
constantly sends and receives video and other very large files,
throughout the day. This type of activity uses a lot of bandwidth and
can significantly reduce the speed at which other customers can access
the internet during peak hours. Approximately 1% of customers use more
than 30% of the available bandwidth during peak hours. We don't
believe this is fair to the vast majority of our customers. This fair
usage policy automatically identifies the very small number of
extremely heavy users and manages their bandwidth only during peak
hours (6pm to 11pm Monday to Sunday), to protect the service for all
our other customers. Outside peak hours, the use of the internet by
these heavy users is unaffected. "

Phil

Old January 16th 06, 08:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Markus G. Klötzer wrote:

Phil Thompson wrote:

The FUP refers only to file sharing AFAICS

VOIP is p2p in the striktest sense

Yes, but VoIP is so fashionable at the moment, I very much doubt that
Tiscali would want to be seen to be banning it.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

Old January 16th 06, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John DH

Yes, but VoIP is so fashionable at the moment, I very much doubt that
Tiscali would want to be seen to be banning it.

Can't see why not. Email is fashionable and they balls that up!

Old January 19th 06, 02:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cog

wrote:

Yes but do they ban the use of Vo-IP as part of the Fair Use Policy? If
they do, then you wouldn't be able to use Vo-IP in the evenings, which
would basically make Vo-IP not an option with this ISP. Comments
anyone?

The FUP refers only to file sharing AFAICS

No it does not. I've been warned twice despite doing no file sharing *at
all* during the FUP hours.