Congestion Fears For UK ADSL ISP's

Old January 12th 06, 03:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Default Congestion Fears For UK ADSL ISP's

See:
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/n...AZkFuVmPtLZmFv

No wonder PlusNet needs to do 'traffic shaping',
and as the article says 'over the long term it will continue to be a
problem'.

So don't blame the ISP's, blame BT !
Regards,
Martin

Old January 12th 06, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
K. A. Nuttall

Martin² wrote in article
:

See:
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/n...id=EEFyAZkFuVm
PtLZmFv

No wonder PlusNet needs to do 'traffic shaping',
and as the article says 'over the long term it will continue to be
a problem'.

So don't blame the ISP's, blame BT !

I don't feel *that* sorry for them. After all, the new model has been
in effect since early summer in 2004. Then, PlusNet were quite happy to
adopt Capacity-Based-Charging in an attempt to undercut the
competition.

My heart bleeds.

--
K. A. Nuttall
www.yammer.co.uk
Old January 12th 06, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Howells

K. A. Nuttall wrote:

in effect since early summer in 2004. Then, PlusNet were quite happy to
adopt Capacity-Based-Charging in an attempt to undercut the
competition.

And cut subscription costs overnight from £39.99 to £21.99 for Premier.
Old January 12th 06, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Chris Howells wrote:

K. A. Nuttall wrote:

in effect since early summer in 2004. Then, PlusNet were quite happy
to adopt Capacity-Based-Charging in an attempt to undercut the
competition.

And cut subscription costs overnight from £39.99 to £21.99 for Premier.

but fail to formally tell their existing customers, paying either 39.99
or 29.99 a month, that they could get the same (or higher) speed for a
lower fee... Yes, great for PR, I don't think. Months after, people
were still commenting on how they had only just found out about that
and feeling (justifiably) that it was a bad policy. Several times,
existing users commented that to keep to their claimed 'open and
honest' approach, Plus.Net should contact people paying more quite
quickly and tell them they could switch to 21.99. Please feel free
to stick up for the firm, if you wish, as I've done on some policies
but the 39.99 to 21.99 price cut was certainly not handled as well as
it could have been. I have (in the past) been happy to recommend PN
and where new customers have signed up via the link I've posted, it
is done anonymously so I was unable to contact account holders who
I felt sure would benefit from the fee reduction. Myself and other
customers urged Plus.Net to inform those paying more than 21.99,
but (and I'd be happy to be corrected) there was nothing done about
this - and if there was, it was not within the first 2 months of
the price reduction. Plus.Net (like the banks) can argue that
they won't change the contract without the user's request, but it
cannot be claimed there was a lack of requests to tell customers!!!