Modem Router Connections

Old January 12th 06, 03:59 PM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband
Jack Ouzzi

Default Modem Router Connections

Any difference speed wise if the ADSL Modem Router is connected via
USB port or via 10/100 network card ??

TIA

Not sure if it is USB 1 or 2
Old January 12th 06, 04:46 PM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

Jack Ouzzi wrote:
Any difference speed wise if the ADSL Modem Router is connected via
USB port or via 10/100 network card ??

TIA

Not sure if it is USB 1 or 2

Theoretically possibly. USB could be either slower or faster than
ethernet .........

USB 1 is capable of 12Mbits/second USB 2 is capable of [1] 480Mbits/second.

In practice, in many home [2] situations, you wouldn't notice much of a
difference unless you're downloading 24/7 or when/if you occasionally
download very large files. Even then, the actual computer might limit
what can be received from the modem.

I find an ethernet connection to be more stable though, less prone to
slowing down when we have all (only 3) our computers connecting via the
same Access Point, and as a result it offers greater stability for both
regular and irregular use of the main computer or networked laptops.

YMMV ...........

[1] 'Is capable of' is often very different to what can actually be
achieved.

[2] By home situation I mean mainly surfing, browsing, emails,
occasional downloads of video feeds, music and small files etc with
occasional larger downloads.

--
The Caretaker .........
Old January 12th 06, 05:36 PM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband
Jack Ouzzi

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:43:35 -0000, "Martin Underwood"
wrote:

Jack Ouzzi wrote in
:

Any difference speed wise if the ADSL Modem Router is connected via
USB port or via 10/100 network card ??

TIA

Not sure if it is USB 1 or 2

For access to the internet, it doesn't make any difference: 2 Mbps (or even
8 Mbps) ADSL is less than the 12 Mbps limit of USB1 - and much less than the
400 Mbps limit of USB2.

However for LAN access - between PCs and printers on your LAN - it will make
a difference if you've got USB1. The rest of the LAN will be running 100
Mbps - even over wireless you may achieve 24, 36 or 54 Mbps, but the PC that
is connected to the router via USB will only be able to access the LAN at 12
Mbps. If the PC has USB2, then it will be able to talk at 100 Mbps.

My gut feeling is that even with USB2, Ethernet is better than USB, though
I'd be hard-pressed to say exactly why.

Yep, my gut feeling to.

The 'main' PC has the USB connected to the R/M as it has no network
card - the 'second' PC has a network card and is cabled via port 1 (4
ports) on the router.

PC 2 just 'seems' a tidge faster ..

It's just is it worth the hassle of 6 for a network card and putting
it in PC 1 (not my PC BTW)
Old January 12th 06, 07:20 PM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Howells

Martin Underwood wrote:

However for LAN access - between PCs and printers on your LAN - it will make
a difference if you've got USB1. The rest of the LAN will be running 100
Mbps - even over wireless you may achieve 24, 36 or 54 Mbps, but the PC that
is connected to the router via USB will only be able to access the LAN at 12
Mbps. If the PC has USB2, then it will be able to talk at 100 Mbps.

Additionally USB ethernet is likely to put more load onto the CPU which
is liable to reduce performance.
Old January 12th 06, 08:19 PM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Additionally USB ethernet is likely to put more load onto the CPU which
is liable to reduce performance.

Whats ' USB Ethernet ' ?

Dave

Old January 13th 06, 12:30 AM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"Jack Ouzzi" wrote in message
Any difference speed wise if the ADSL Modem Router is connected via
USB port or via 10/100 network card ??

TIA

Not sure if it is USB 1 or 2

Given the choice, use Ethernet over USB any time. USB requires CPU power,
Ethernet does it's own, less of a drain on cpu resources.

P.

Old January 13th 06, 09:42 AM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Howells

Dave Stanton wrote:

Whats ' USB Ethernet ' ?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?clien...o ogle+Search
Old January 13th 06, 11:05 AM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Ah, so we are not talking about an independant protocol here like
Ethernet, we are talking about USB TO Ethernet adaptors. A sort of half
hearted networking.

Dave
Old January 13th 06, 11:52 AM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel James

In article , Jack Ouzzi
wrote:
Any difference speed wise if the ADSL Modem Router is connected via
USB port or via 10/100 network card ??

Not a lot of difference in speed of operation, but ethernet connection is
much quicker to set up and much easier to manage.

I've seen USB ADSL modems, but I don't think I've ever seen a USB router
... I would certainly recommend getting a router (with a firewall) rather
than a modem, partly for ease of use and partly for the firewall.

Cheers,
Daniel.