Got my linksys router running - Slow speeds!

Old January 12th 06, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

Default Got my linksys router running - Slow speeds!

Setup my new linksys router this after and receiving poor speeds from
several speed tests sites including the plus.net speed test. Highest
download speed achieved is 1.2Mbps.

I have set the MTU on the router to 1458. I don't think this is the problem
though. I think messing around with DRTCP a while ago messed up my 100Mb
Ethernet connection (nvidia controller) as I can't get over 3MB/s when
tranferring large files between mine and another wired pc.

DRTCP reports that the ethernet has an MTU of 1500 and everything on
default. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Or does anyone know how
I can reset all connections to the windows install default?

Thankyou

Dan

Old January 12th 06, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Munish

"Daniel" wrote in message
Setup my new linksys router this after and receiving poor speeds from
several speed tests sites including the plus.net speed test. Highest
download speed achieved is 1.2Mbps.

I have set the MTU on the router to 1458. I don't think this is the
problem though. I think messing around with DRTCP a while ago messed up my
100Mb Ethernet connection (nvidia controller) as I can't get over 3MB/s
when tranferring large files between mine and another wired pc.

DRTCP reports that the ethernet has an MTU of 1500 and everything on
default. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Or does anyone know
how I can reset all connections to the windows install default?

Thankyou

Dan

What Linksys router do you have? If its the WAG54G, get yourself a another
brand of router. I had the same problem with my router (wag54g). Sending
files to other wired computers would take forever, receiving files was OK.
I thought it was my network card(s) at first, I have 2 cards built into the
motherboard (Nvidia & 3com) and another installed in a PCI slot. I tried
all of them, but no luck.

I tried allot of solutions, including getting another card and new cables,
but it turned out to be the switching Ethernet ports on the router as I
wasn't able to establish connection with the router itself through Ethernet.
Wireless worked perfectly.

I gave-up in the end and purchased a Netgear 834G and everything perfectly
now. It turned out that there was nothing wrong with my network cards,
cables or Windows settings.

Linksys tech. support is terrible, can't get through to their department as
the number is invalid and was told to go through their sales department, but
they don't answer the phones.

HTH

Munish

Old January 12th 06, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

Thanks for the respone. It the WAG354G router. Did you also have slow ADSL
speeds?

Dan

Old January 12th 06, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

Sorry my mistake. I just tried the speed tests with a PCI ADSL modem and a
USB modem on two different computers and the connection is still slow. Looks
like its pussnet even though they sent an email saying the traffic
management had been lifted from my account. (new billing month)

Plusnet sucks. Do not ever go with them!

Dan

Old January 12th 06, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Munish

"Daniel" wrote in message
Sorry my mistake. I just tried the speed tests with a PCI ADSL modem and a
USB modem on two different computers and the connection is still slow.
Looks like its pussnet even though they sent an email saying the traffic
management had been lifted from my account. (new billing month)

Plusnet sucks. Do not ever go with them!

Dan

I'm already with Plusnet and been with them since March 2004. I've seen
their service decline since I've joined, but I don't download or use p2p
much so it doesn't affect me too much. If/when I do use p2p and the file
has enough seeds my speeds are quite respectable, I get between 100 -
210kb/s.

My speeds haven't been affected last few days. Do a BT speed test to see
what speeds you get. If speeds are high with BT, you know the problem is
with PN. If speed is same as before with BT, than it may be your exchange.

Munish

Old January 12th 06, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Munish

"Daniel" wrote in message
Thanks for the respone. It the WAG354G router. Did you also have slow ADSL
speeds?

Dan

Before the router stopped working, my Ethernet connection kept disconnecting
intermittently. This did affect my ADSL speeds and thought it was PN as my
speed tests were showing slow speeds.

Old January 13th 06, 01:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

Just done the BT speed test. Repoted my connection as 1700Kbps. Looks like
the problem, as always is plusnet. I really should start looking for another
ISP. Might join up with eclipse. They seem reasonable.

Dan

Old January 13th 06, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

Daniel wrote:
Just done the BT speed test. Repoted my connection as 1700Kbps. Looks
like the problem, as always is plusnet. I really should start looking
for another ISP. Might join up with eclipse. They seem reasonable.

Dan

I thought eclipse had just been bought by Plusnet.
--
Adrian A

Old January 13th 06, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Adrian wrote:

I thought eclipse had just been bought by Plusnet.

Think again (Kingston Communications, 2004)
KC might be bought by someone (C+W ?)

Cable and Wireless bought Bulldog (2004)

Pipex bought (happy for corrections!)
2004: Nildram, Host Europe
2005: Freedom 2 Surf, Donhost, 123-reg

Plus.Net bought Metronet (2005)

Old January 13th 06, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

Peter M wrote:
Adrian wrote:

I thought eclipse had just been bought by Plusnet.

Think again (Kingston Communications, 2004)
KC might be bought by someone (C+W ?)

Cable and Wireless bought Bulldog (2004)

Pipex bought (happy for corrections!)
2004: Nildram, Host Europe
2005: Freedom 2 Surf, Donhost, 123-reg

Plus.Net bought Metronet (2005)

My mistake, for some reason I got Eclipse and Metronet muddled up. I blame
old age. ;o)
--
Adrian A