I'm switching to NTL

Old January 12th 06, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default I'm switching to NTL

I'm tired of waiting for LLU in my area. NTL provide 10Mb (with a 75Gb/month
cap) cable in my area and apparently I can still keep my BT line.

My currently on Metronet 2Mb. Is there anything I would lose in terms of the
service level? Blocked ports/services?

Is 10Mb just a theoretical maximum to does the actual speed come close to
that?

Thanks

Old January 12th 06, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"Steve" wrote in message
I'm tired of waiting for LLU in my area. NTL provide 10Mb (with a

75Gb/month
cap) cable in my area and apparently I can still keep my BT line.

My currently on Metronet 2Mb. Is there anything I would lose in terms of

the
service level? Blocked ports/services?

Is 10Mb just a theoretical maximum to does the actual speed come close to
that?

as it's provided by coaxial cable, and not the telephone line, it's close to
maximum. However, the 10Mb roll-out has only begun recently, and there are
reports of folk getting a LOT less than 10Mbps, some even less than their
previous speed. I'd be inclined to hang on a while till things on NTL's
network settle down, and keep on eye on this group for other comments.

P.

Old January 13th 06, 01:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Steve wrote:
I'm tired of waiting for LLU in my area. NTL provide 10Mb (with a
75Gb/month cap) cable in my area and apparently I can still keep my
BT line.
My currently on Metronet 2Mb. Is there anything I would lose in
terms
of the service level? Blocked ports/services?

Is 10Mb just a theoretical maximum to does the actual speed come
close to that?

Remember that most if not all traffic goes thru their infamous
transparent proxies. When I was on NTL some nights you had to play
find the working inktomi & the system only ever ran reasonably fast
when they turned them all off...

Old January 13th 06, 09:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gutz

"Steve" wrote in message
I'm tired of waiting for LLU in my area. NTL provide 10Mb (with a
75Gb/month cap) cable in my area and apparently I can still keep my BT
line.

My currently on Metronet 2Mb. Is there anything I would lose in terms of
the service level? Blocked ports/services?

Is 10Mb just a theoretical maximum to does the actual speed come close to
that?

Thanks

Seriously dont do it! I work for NTL and its not worth it! Basically, they
have no plans to make the 10mb unlimitted, will hold you to a 12 month
contract and will provide pretty abysmal service every step of the way inc
10mb downloads at all times :P
Just wait for ADSL2 mate ukonline is preaching 24mb for 29.99 a month

Old January 13th 06, 09:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

"Steve" wrote in message
I'm tired of waiting for LLU in my area. NTL provide 10Mb (with a
75Gb/month cap) cable in my area and apparently I can still keep my BT
line.

And don't forget that when it goes wrong you'll spend hours on hold, or
being cut off, trying to get it sorted.

Old January 13th 06, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

WCZ wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

I'm tired of waiting for LLU in my area. NTL provide 10Mb (with a
75Gb/month cap) cable in my area and apparently I can still keep my BT
line.

And don't forget that when it goes wrong you'll spend hours on hold, or
being cut off, trying to get it sorted.

Not always. I got through in 20 seconds this week. But my record is
around 2 /hours/, and I seem to recall some have exceeded even that.

Don't expect fast response even after you've logged a fault call. I've
had to wait several days for an engineer to turn up to fix a fault (and
I keep an active non-ntl dial-up account for such eventualities - you
don't get a free 'fall-back' dialup account with ntl).

My currently on Metronet 2Mb. Is there anything I would lose in terms of
the service level? Blocked ports/services?

No major port blockages. IIRC ntl block a few known trojan ports, but
I'm running web and email servers at home without a problem. Oh, their
email is 'dubious' - I don't use it much now after some important mail
was delayed for 3 days for no obvious reason.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old January 13th 06, 01:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Blessing

"Steve" wrote in message
I'm tired of waiting for LLU in my area. NTL provide 10Mb (with a
75Gb/month cap) cable in my area and apparently I can still keep my BT
line.

My currently on Metronet 2Mb. Is there anything I would lose in terms of
the service level? Blocked ports/services?

Is 10Mb just a theoretical maximum to does the actual speed come close to
that?

Thanks

I've had NTL cable for a few years, recently upgraded to 10MB. No complaints
at all.

--
John Blessing

businesses
for your meeting/class over the web.
http://www.lbetoolbox.com - Remove Duplicates from MS Outlook, find/replace,
send newsletters

Old January 13th 06, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"Mark" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:50:29 GMT, "John Blessing"
wrote:

I've had NTL cable for a few years, recently upgraded to 10MB. No

complaints
at all.

...so you don't suffer their flaky DNS where you sometime have to
refresh a web page 2 or 3 times because of a "Cannot find server or
DNS Error"?

Or the pop3 server on a third-party ISP is "not found" and is suddenly
there (and was all the time, only the DNS failed to look it up)?

Lucky you.

don't use NTL's dns servers, you're not obliged to, and there are plenty of
free access dns servers around ;-)
I've been with, firstly BTOpenworld, and NTL, and never used the dns servers
from either company.

P.

Old January 13th 06, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Blessing

wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

I've been with 6 or more different ISPs over the years. None have been
perfect. NTL has been the best so far. YMMV

--
John Blessing

Old January 13th 06, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gutz

wrote:

I've had NTL cable for a few years, recently upgraded to 10MB. No

complaints
at all.

...so you don't suffer their flaky DNS where you sometime have to
refresh a web page 2 or 3 times because of a "Cannot find server or
DNS Error"?

Or the pop3 server on a third-party ISP is "not found" and is suddenly
there (and was all the time, only the DNS failed to look it up)?

Lucky you.

don't use NTL's dns servers, you're not obliged to, and there are plenty
of
free access dns servers around ;-)
I've been with, firstly BTOpenworld, and NTL, and never used the dns
servers
from either company.

I find AOLs DNS servers to kick ass

P.