BT Line Testing

Old January 13th 06, 12:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Slow John

Default BT Line Testing

Someone once told me you could do a 'BT line test' online. Is this still
so, and where do I find the page within BT?

Thanks

Old January 13th 06, 01:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Slow John wrote:
Someone once told me you could do a 'BT line test' online. Is this
still so, and where do I find the page within BT?

Thanks

The line test you speak about has so many errors that it has been
worse than useles...

Apply & you'll find out soon enough what speeds you can get..

Old January 13th 06, 01:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Slow John

"kraftee" wrote in message
Slow John wrote:
Someone once told me you could do a 'BT line test' online. Is this
still so, and where do I find the page within BT?

Thanks

The line test you speak about has so many errors that it has been
worse than useles...

Apply & you'll find out soon enough what speeds you can get..

Im already a broadband customer using a 1MB service, but I don't appear to
be able to get 2MB, (according to BT Wholesale) even though everyone else in
this street (all fed from the same telephone pole) is showing a 2MB
capability. But not my line....

Old January 13th 06, 08:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Slow John wrote:
"kraftee" wrote in message
Slow John wrote:
Someone once told me you could do a 'BT line test' online. Is
this
still so, and where do I find the page within BT?

Thanks

The line test you speak about has so many errors that it has been
worse than useles...

Apply & you'll find out soon enough what speeds you can get..

Im already a broadband customer using a 1MB service, but I don't
appear to be able to get 2MB, (according to BT Wholesale) even
though
everyone else in this street (all fed from the same telephone pole)
is showing a 2MB capability. But not my line....

It's quite possible.....

Old January 13th 06, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jack Ouzzi

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 00:28:14 -0000, "Slow John"
wrote:

"kraftee" wrote in message
Slow John wrote:
Someone once told me you could do a 'BT line test' online. Is this
still so, and where do I find the page within BT?

Thanks

The line test you speak about has so many errors that it has been
worse than useles...

Apply & you'll find out soon enough what speeds you can get..

Im already a broadband customer using a 1MB service, but I don't appear to
be able to get 2MB, (according to BT Wholesale) even though everyone else in
this street (all fed from the same telephone pole) is showing a 2MB
capability. But not my line....

I have posted this to another thread as well:

John ....Have you got or have you ever had more than one telephone
line INTO your property (this would include residents before you
purchased) ?

It could be the dreaded DAX switch ...........
Old January 13th 06, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Slow John

"Jack Ouzzi" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 00:28:14 -0000, "Slow John"

John ....Have you got or have you ever had more than one telephone
line INTO your property (this would include residents before you
purchased) ?

It could be the dreaded DAX switch ...........

No, but it seems a bit strange to me that our telephone pole feeding this
property was installed in 1978, for us as the first customer on this street.
Since then take many others have also been supplied by this pole (there are
now 15 other lines coming off this same pole). Last night I went through
all of the numbers associated with this pole and everyone is down of being
capable of 2mbit except my line.

I don't understand why my line is different?

Old January 13th 06, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Slow John

"Slow John" wrote in message

Sorry this is a re-post, without the errors of the first (hopefully)

No, but it seems a bit strange to me that our telephone pole feeding this
property was installed in 1978, for us as the first customer on this street.

Since then, many others have also been supplied by this telephone pole
(there are
now 15 other lines coming off this very same pole). Last night I went
through
all of the customers numbers associated with this pole and everyone is down
as being
capable of 2mbit except for my line.

I don't understand why my line is different?

Old January 13th 06, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

In article , Jack Ouzzi
writes
Someone once told me you could do a 'BT line test' online. Is this
still so, and where do I find the page within BT?

The line test you speak about has so many errors that it has been
worse than useles...

Apply & you'll find out soon enough what speeds you can get..

Im already a broadband customer using a 1MB service, but I don't appear to
be able to get 2MB, (according to BT Wholesale) even though everyone else in
this street (all fed from the same telephone pole) is showing a 2MB
capability. But not my line....

I have posted this to another thread as well:

John ....Have you got or have you ever had more than one telephone
line INTO your property (this would include residents before you
purchased) ?

It could be the dreaded DAX switch ...........

I am not sure if the original poster has broadband, as it appears to be
from this thread. If he has, then the DACs will have been removed to
allow the ADSL card to work.
--
John Clark
Old January 13th 06, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , Slow John
writes

"Slow John" wrote in message

Sorry this is a re-post, without the errors of the first (hopefully)

No, but it seems a bit strange to me that our telephone pole feeding this
property was installed in 1978, for us as the first customer on this street.

Since then, many others have also been supplied by this telephone pole
(there are
now 15 other lines coming off this very same pole). Last night I went
through
all of the customers numbers associated with this pole and everyone is down
as being
capable of 2mbit except for my line.

I don't understand why my line is different?

John,

It may be that you are the only one who has got Broadband, and hence BT
know the line state.

I have two lines into this house, one has Broadband (at 1Meg max), the
other shows "capable of 2Meg" on the line checkers.

A neighbour (same pole) also has broadband - again only 1Meg max.

Do any of your neighbours have broadband, and are reporting getting
2Meg?

AFAIK if the BT Wholesale checker appends the statement
Note: If you have an ISDN or Home Highway service connected to this
number ......

then the line probably has broadband already.

Regards
--
Peter R Cook
Old January 13th 06, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

In article , Slow John
writes
No, but it seems a bit strange to me that our telephone pole feeding this
property was installed in 1978, for us as the first customer on this street.
Since then take many others have also been supplied by this pole (there are
now 15 other lines coming off this same pole). Last night I went through
all of the numbers associated with this pole and everyone is down of being
capable of 2mbit except my line.

I don't understand why my line is different?

Strange as it may seem, your line may be further away from the exchange
than the slightly newer BT customers in your road.

I raise this as a possible answer as I have 2 telephone lines in to our
house, 1 which is ADSL enabled. Years ago, when using a BT engineers
number (017070 I think - but it was many years ago), there was a menu
item titled "clear down & ring back". This ran a test and gave you the
line distance from the exchange. My family telephone, and original in
the house, was 7.9Km from the exchange. The upstairs, office, telephone
is 8.2Km from the exchange.

Explain that?

The line length will affect the absorption of the ADSL high frequency
signals (longer line greater signal loss) and the noise margin (ability
to synchronise with the exchange - sort of).

As a note, the line material can also affect signal absorption due to
resistance. Copper lines give lower resistance than aluminium, a
material BT used years ago to save costs (high world copper prices). The
later neighbours may have had copper lines, making the resistance of
your line (1st one in) higher.

As I understand BT figures for different speeds of ADSL over POTS is -

ADSL down connection speed Attenuation Noise margin
(Kbps) (dB) (dB)

512 100 at least 6.5
1,024 (your speed) 43 6.5
2,048 (your neighbours) 60 6.5

Dependent on what attenuation and Noise Margin (SNR) your router is
reporting, you can work out what YOUR BT circuit can support. The main
issue is your Noise Margin, which will loose about 6 dB for every
doubling of ADSL speed.

So, assuming the attenuation is OK for a higher speed, and the increase
looses 6 dB. Then for good solid ADSL synchronisation, and lock with the
exchange, your resultant Noise Margin should be as far above 5.5 dB as
possible.

From this rambling, the reason your neighbours can get 2Mbps and you get
1Mbps may be down to a combination of ADSL signal attenuation and Noise
Margin.

Hope this makes sense?
--
John Clark