Broadband Plus - Plus.Net comes clean on 'limits'

Old January 13th 06, 06:15 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Default Broadband Plus - Plus.Net comes clean on 'limits'

I'm glad there has been a lengthy explanation about the Broadband
Plus "product design", and how the acceptable use in peak (0800
to midnight) hours is flexible but currently around 6 GB amonth.

For anyone who has not seen it, ADSLguide has a posting he
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...Number=2219350
and Stew Norriss from Plus.Net has a separate thread for the
further discussion of aspects resulting from that post.

It really is a shame that staff at Plus.Net won't all be 'up to speed'
on the significant aspects until Monday, as there'll be a number of
customer who have noticed poor service speeds and might be wondering
what has happened, and there's no sure way they will get a sensible
answer - witness Gerry's comments:
"For me I had to chase them to find out why I was having
slow speed. Took 4 different attempts before I was told
that I was on a static IP and being throttled."

As it will be like that over the weekend, so I have not even bothered
to ask via Contact Us if my account is being 'managed' (I know it used
to stream OK, whereas it now takes an hour to get 10 minutes of video
to 'play' before it fails and now I get FTP failures - it stalled on
file 2 of 8 for an update to some bit of software... Seems to have
been affected since before Christmas... with no suggestion coming
from Plus.Net that it was (or has) been done. Taking bets on how
long before any e-mail notification arrives...

In plusnet.service.customer-feedback Marksfish wrote:

And they told us porkies at the customer forum too Peter. One of the
questions I specifically asked was about limits and the answer was that
there are none and there were no intentions of them being introduced
because of the severe throttling on the account.

I find it odd that there's any need for such severe throttling, now that
the peak time 'flexible limit' has been suggested. It is all the more
galling to see the example given of someone using the service to be OK
to download 10 x MP3s off iTunes, when that could probably just fail,
if one tried to use their "as good as the best alternative ISP's"
Usenet News service.

I can understand them limiting the number of concurrent connections, and
even putting a cap on how much Usenet traffic is delivered at full speed
(on Premier), but the proposed 15 GB upper limit on using Plus.Net news,
and perhaps a significantly lower limit (I'd be happy with 2 to 5 GB as
I have hardly downloaded anything from Usenet via Plus.Net in at least
6months, given the crummy nature of access) for Broadband Plus could
have prevented abuse by anyone, and allow a two-tier approach, too.

I guess they've spent the last 8 months fussing over these Gold / Silver
etc queues, not setting up a quota system for Usenet that works, and if
there has been work done, I bet they didn't think to allow lower quota
limits for Broadband Plus so users could get a reasonable speed and
not have articles expire before they could be downloaded!

With taking over Metronet (which had been offering up to 2x 128 kbps
links for downloading news, to reduce the effects of very heavy users)
I had hoped Plus.Net might see a way to use an external news service
which is reliable, with suitable limiting to stop 24x7 max use traffic
abuse, and then their binary news problems with the internal service
would be nil.

Clearly Plus.Net is looking to limit everyone's service (the comments
back in the spring of 2005, about users possibly being able to d/l up
to 400 GB off-peak, for example, were just marketing hype), and quite
how the staff will brush under the carpet the previous reversals of
policy will be down to their conscience (or depends on taking on a
series of new customer service agents who nothing of past promises,
so they cannot be blamed for the forever changing user 'experience'
that those who stick with Plus.Net will have to endure).

I've certainly 'tested the water' or 'pushed the envelope' on the a/c
(my usage was 77 GB in October, ~50 in November, ~30 in December) and
in part it was to see if I'd get a warning (none came, of course, but
the connection I have now seems crippled - understandably, to quite a
degree, but since mid December, perhaps earlier, and a long delay in
terms of openly informing the customer about changing their service)
but the most I got on my ticket complaining about speed of Usenet
was the 'access to Usenet is possible but not guaranteed'...

I was 'making the point' that there was plenty enough spare bandwidth
and the crippling they did to Usenet was OTT... no request to me to
moderate my use (I did anyway, it was to 'make a point' after all)
but then I pay a fee to access a service and at least 1/3 of that
fee has been wasted as downloading and streaming is now impossible
via my Plus.Net connection...

If Plus.Net had responded to uses back in August / September / October
with some better guidelines on how the account was constrained, this PR
gaff would not have happened but we've seen it before, and no doubt it
will come again...

From 2005-07-27 http://www.adslguide.org/newsarchive.asp?item=2314

"We should have told our customers about this change before we
implemented it, and I would like to sincerely apologise to all
of our customers for this breakdown in communications.

In order to offer great value and great performance, we will
make changes and improvements to our services. Before we make
changes and improvements from now on, I would like to personally
assure customers that we will always be as open, honest and
upfront as possible."

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...Number=2219350

"It was our intention to send this email to all affected customers.
However, the development of this wasn't effectively managed and
some customers were affected by network management before they
were emailed."

I wouldn't mind, but there has been a consistent failure to address
questions about the 'product design' for Broadband Plus not for just
weeks, but months, whether made in posts on p.s.customer-feedback
where one might expect candid responses from Plus.Net staff, or
in other places.

I know from bitter experience that asking an awkward question in
'contact us' can lead to having access to the portal blocked (and
with it, any access to past tickets, billing or other a/c services)
so I have not done more than query the poor speed of Usenet news,
and even for that, did not push it, because of previously losing
my access (it was a query regarding payments, not technical to do
with the speed/servers/service, which got my access blocked).

I could upgrade to the Premier account but see the 'how you use it'
being "managed" in detail over the next year or two, and as for how
things will change with 8000 kbps service, that's anyone's guess!!

Plus.Net certainly seems to have gone from "download, within reason,
what you like, when you like" to "download, with a maximum of XX GB
during 0800-0000 if using Usenet/peer-to-peer/FTP, a max of YY GB
in total, oh, and don't bother with VoIP from anyone else" :-)

Peter Morgan.

cross-posted to uk.telecom.broadband

(potential users need to know what existing users and Plus.Net staff
are thinking, and non-customers cannot see the posts in the Plus.net
customer-feedback group very easily, if at all.)

Old January 13th 06, 06:20 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Just a quick apology for text going all over the place...

I don't have access to Agent so have used Netscape 7.1 for
news for the last few days... Peter M.

Old January 13th 06, 07:59 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Marksfish

Just dropping in on your thread Peter. I made the following remark in the F9
forum:

"This will be another case of F9 moving the goalposts and "forgetting" to
tell their customers will it Stew? What happened to the comms team being
more focussed at communicating with the userbase? This was discussed at
length in December with you saying you had failed in corresponding with
customers, but it was utmost priority to reverse the situation and get it
right. WRONG, BIG TIME!!!

Whilst 5gb doesn't really affect me, it's a bit miserly isn't it? After all,
BB+ is only 5pm less than Premier and we don't have all the "value added
extras", neither do we have p2p or binary usenet (you may say we have but in
reality it is unachievable) which should more than make up for it. A 10gb
limit would be more acceptable, but I suppose it's the magic 1% again isn't
it? "

The response I got was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhiting
This post was made in order to clarify the current
position of Plus and describe the way that it works. This has been in place
for a while, and the post was made after several people were confused with
the way that the management works on Plus.

There is no cap on it, the 5gb usage level during peak times is there as a
guideline only, and this is something that will be under constant review.
Also, don't forget, that off peak there's a usage guideline of 50gb. But 5gb
is what the package is currently designed to sustain, keep in mind that a
large ammount of the Plus cost comes from the line rental itself, which is
8.40 regardless of line speed. Add to this the cost of bandwidth, which is
about 0.70 per gb and you'll see that Plus can't sustain lots of usage
during peak hours.

Plus was never intended to be a Premier Junior account, it's a basic account
desgined for people new to broadband. Combine this with the generally low
usage of people on Plus and you'll see that the changes are better for the
majority. Whilstthose who's usage requirements exceed what Plus can offer
are free to change accounts or find an alternative provider who can offer
something suitable.
Is there any wonder people were confused about the management on BB+ when we
have continually been told there is noe (apart from p2p, usenet)? Especially
when F9 staff don't even know what is going on, except the priviledged
few!!!

Regards

Mark

Old January 14th 06, 08:27 AM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

Peter M wrote:

I've certainly 'tested the water' or 'pushed the envelope' on the a/c (my
usage was 77 GB in October, ~50 in November, ~30 in December) and in part
it was to see if I'd get a warning (none came, of course, but the
connection I have now seems crippled - understandably, to quite a degree,
but since mid December, perhaps earlier, and a long delay in terms of
openly informing the customer about changing their service)

I managed 66GB last month (by mistake - left a P2P client open) and
although my P2P was being throttled, I never received a warning or any
indication that this was happening (apart from terrible P2P performance,
obviously). At the end of the month I got a 'you are in a new billing
period so all download limits have been lifted' (or words to that
effect) mail.

I still have no idea what the limit is for Premier users. This situation
needs to be made clear.

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk AIM/iChatAV: JCAndrew2

Is anyone interested in helping contribute to a whisky podcast? If so,
please visit http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk/theDram/ thank you.
Old January 14th 06, 12:08 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Jim" wrote in message
. ..
Peter M wrote:

[...]

I'm having great difficulty keeping up with all these tweaks in service
levels, even though I keep in touch with this NG regularly (God help those
that don't!).
I think I just about understand what's going on/about to change (yet again)
but am still undecided if I'm on the right package - I'm coming to the
conclusion that I don't fit into any of the "model customer" packages - does
anyone?.
I'm currently on Broadband Plus working at 512Kb/s - max speed for my
location according to BT Wholesale, as I live in a country area.
My usage is quite low - between 0.8 and 1.5 GB per month.
My broadband is on between about 9 am and midnight daily, mainly to catch
emails as they arrive and do surfing as and when required and access Usenet.
I only use text-only newsgroups on Usenet and since the advent of the new
text server, all is OK on that aspect. (I'm also on news.individual.net
which is also good).
I don't do gaming at all.
I sleep between the hours of midnight and 8 am and the computer goes off
during that period.
However, I do use P2P occasionally (about a couple of hours twice a month)
but find it painfully slow, although it's just about workable if I set it
running and go and watch the telly for an hour or so.

My question is therefore, bearing in mind my realtively low bandwidth
take-up but taking into account my need for P2P occasionally, what pacakge
would suit me best (if there is actualy a suitable PN package)?

George

Old January 14th 06, 12:34 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

George Weston wrote:

I managed 66GB last month (by mistake - left a P2P client open) and
although my P2P was being throttled, I never received a warning or any
indication that this was happening (apart from terrible P2P performance,
obviously). At the end of the month I got a 'you are in a new billing
period so all download limits have been lifted' (or words to that
effect) mail.

I still have no idea what the limit is for Premier users. This situation
needs to be made clear.

Jim

I'm having great difficulty keeping up with all these tweaks in service
levels, even though I keep in touch with this NG regularly (God help those
that don't!).
I think I just about understand what's going on/about to change (yet again)

You have the better of me there, then - I'm totally unaware of any
changes coming down the line.

Quick recap?

Jim

Old January 14th 06, 12:51 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Jim" wrote in message

You have the better of me there, then - I'm totally unaware of any
changes coming down the line.

Quick recap?

Jim

See post from Stew Norriss above this one, entitled Broadband Plus Feedback.
George

Old January 14th 06, 04:02 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

George Weston wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message

You have the better of me there, then - I'm totally unaware of any
changes coming down the line.

Quick recap?

Jim

See post from Stew Norriss above this one, entitled Broadband Plus Feedback.
George

Ah, thanks. Seems to relate to Plus rather than Premier though. I'd
quite like PN to update the state of play with regard to Premier
accounts - any limits, etc.

Jim

Old January 14th 06, 09:15 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Jim wrote:

Ah, thanks. Seems to relate to Plus rather than Premier though. I'd
quite like PN to update the state of play with regard to Premier
accounts - any limits, etc.

Perhaps best to read
http://portal.plus.net/support/membe...n_update.shtml
or view the post in uk.telecom.broadband posted by James... see

Old January 14th 06, 09:20 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

Peter M wrote:

Jim wrote:

Ah, thanks. Seems to relate to Plus rather than Premier though. I'd
quite like PN to update the state of play with regard to Premier
accounts - any limits, etc.

Perhaps best to read
http://portal.plus.net/support/membe...n_update.shtml
or view the post in uk.telecom.broadband posted by James... see

Thanks. I got Premier many years ago, so what's this Gold, Silver and
Bronze nonsense? How do I tell what I have, if any?

Jim