PlusNet Restrictions

Old January 14th 06, 03:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Boomhauer

Default PlusNet Restrictions

I've just received and email saying I have exceeded the first level of the
Broadband Premier usage policy and that Level 1 management has been applied
to my service. I understand what they are telling me, but not what the
restriction is. I have logged into my account, but can't find information
anywhere on what the restriction is....

Can anyone help.

Old January 14th 06, 03:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Dave Boomhauer wrote:
I've just received and email saying I have exceeded the first level of the
Broadband Premier usage policy and that Level 1 management has been applied
to my service. I understand what they are telling me, but not what the
restriction is. I have logged into my account, but can't find information
anywhere on what the restriction is....

Here's an extract from the recent posting by Stew Norris, subject
"Broadband Plus Feedback" in plusnet.service.customer-feedback and
also posted on www.ADSLguide.org and probably on the Plus.Net forum

Network Management

The effect of this management is to reduce the overall speed of the
connection in 'tiers'. This is applied gradually, based on the amount
of data actually transferred in excess of the sustainable level for
the product. Our aim is to provide a usable basic service (Web, Email,
Instant Messenger etc) even where other protocols (such as Peer-to-
Peer) have been restricted to prevent further high levels of data
transfer occurring in that billing month.

I don't yet know what "Level 1" "Level 2" etc amount to in speed
terms but based on earlier months traffic (around 30 GB in early
December) I guess I'm on level 3 or 4 (!) (maybe not.. just that
file transfers and streaming are stalling nowadays and worked OK
before)

Old January 14th 06, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"Dave Boomhauer" wrote in message
I've just received and email saying I have exceeded the first level of the
Broadband Premier usage policy and that Level 1 management has been
applied to my service. I understand what they are telling me, but not what
the restriction is. I have logged into my account, but can't find
information anywhere on what the restriction is....

Can anyone help.

http://portal.plus.net/support/membe...n_update.shtml

Basically... 100Gb total traffic per month of which 30Gb can be peak time
(4pm - 12am)

SEPERATLY...

During the month after you download 20Gb (peak time 8am-12am) of
p2p/ftp/usenet your speed will be reduced.. after 25Gb peak time, reduced
some more and so on.

The web page above that should be on the front of your p.net member page
should give more details of what speeds you will get and when and so on.

Old January 14th 06, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete M Williams

Also never download at any speed above 80kB/s (on a 2 meg line) when the
wind is blowing from the north if you live north of Sheffield as PlusNet
have placed an download wind restriction in place during winter.
People living south of Sheffield can ignore this, unless of course the wind
does a 180 degree turn.
Customers West and East of Sheffield are only restricted to 100kB/s at these
times but should keep updated on the wind direction at all times.

PlusNet recommend every customer visits the Plus Shop and buys an aerovane
to place outside their house.
These are priced at 99.99 + VAT and delivery.

Hope this helps

Old January 14th 06, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete M Williams

"Pete M Williams" [email protected] wrote in message
Also never download at any speed above 80kB/s (on a 2 meg line) when the
wind is blowing from the north if you live north of Sheffield as PlusNet
have placed an download wind restriction in place during winter.
People living south of Sheffield can ignore this, unless of course the
wind does a 180 degree turn.
Customers West and East of Sheffield are only restricted to 100kB/s at
these times but should keep updated on the wind direction at all times.

PlusNet recommend every customer visits the Plus Shop and buys an aerovane
to place outside their house.
These are priced at 99.99 + VAT and delivery.

Hope this helps

Sorry, I forgot to add that these restrictions will be lifted on the first
day of spring, but PlusNet have wrote it into their new Terms & Conditions
that they can alter the seasons of the year at will and at their own
discretion.
There was talk at the last PlusNet board meeting of extending winter 2006 to
sometime in mid September and just scrapping spring and summer altogether.
The finance director however pointed out at this point that the directors
would lose their five week summer holiday and their annual summer bonus if
this happened.
Due to this it looks likely that only spring will now be scrapped and summer
will be just five weeks long so that the directors do not miss out on their
holidays or bonus's.

I hope this is clear.

Old January 14th 06, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

"Dave Boomhauer" wrote in message
I've just received and email saying I have exceeded the first level of the
Broadband Premier usage policy and that Level 1 management has been
applied to my service. I understand what they are telling me, but not what
the restriction is. I have logged into my account, but can't find
information anywhere on what the restriction is....

Can anyone help.

What they're trying to tell you is ..... Take you money elsewhere and change
ISPs ;o)

Old January 14th 06, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Boomhauer

"Gizmo" wrote in message

"Dave Boomhauer" wrote in message
I've just received and email saying I have exceeded the first level of
the Broadband Premier usage policy and that Level 1 management has been
applied to my service. I understand what they are telling me, but not
what the restriction is. I have logged into my account, but can't find
information anywhere on what the restriction is....

Can anyone help.

What they're trying to tell you is ..... Take you money elsewhere and
change ISPs ;o)

Yeah, I'm going to look at ADSLGUIDE.ORG now to look at the benefits of
another ISP.

Thanks especially to Pete Williams for making my mind up with humour!