Migrate away from e7 - but where to ?

Old January 14th 06, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob382

Default Migrate away from e7 - but where to ?

Following the earlier thread re e7 problems and the fact its now over 2
weeks without service, their offer of a refund for unused time and migration
code seem to good to miss, so the question is where to ? most important is a
reliable service that does not grind to a crawl, fixed ip is nice to have
and I don't need domain or hosting, just an unrestricted service (no
blocked ports)

Eclipse seem a possibility - any one got anything good or bad to report on
them ?

All ideas greatly appreciated.

Rob

Old January 14th 06, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:51:07 +0000 (UTC), "Rob382"
wrote:

Eclipse seem a possibility - any one got anything good or bad to report on
them ?

generally get good words, owned by Kingston Comms. There packages are
priced by speed, the unlimited 2M is 30 or 24 for 1M. Monthly
contract.

Demon HomeOffice at 25/month for 2M also has a fixed IP but is 12
month contract.

Phil

Old January 14th 06, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

"Rob382" wrote in message
Following the earlier thread re e7 problems and the fact its now over 2
weeks without service, their offer of a refund for unused time and
migration code seem to good to miss, so the question is where to ? most
important is a reliable service that does not grind to a crawl, fixed ip
is nice to have and I don't need domain or hosting, just an unrestricted
service (no blocked ports)

Demon or Zen.
You get what you pay for ;o)

Eclipse seem a possibility - any one got anything good or bad to report on
them ?

Never had any experience of them, so can;' comment either way.

Old January 15th 06, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tekguru (Daron Brewood)

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:51:07 +0000 (UTC), Rob382 wrote:

Eclipse seem a possibility - any one got anything good or bad to report on
them ?

I had a lot of connectivity / customer service issues with Eclipse - plus a
_lot_ of downtime. So ended up moving to Plusnet. Not that much better.
--
Tekguru (Daron Brewood)
MS-MVP/Mobile Devices

Webmaster: UKs largest Pocket PC Site
http://www.4WinMobile.com

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old January 15th 06, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[L.]

wrote:

Following the earlier thread re e7 problems and the fact its now over 2
weeks without service, their offer of a refund for unused time and migration
code seem to good to miss, so the question is where to ? most important is a
reliable service that does not grind to a crawl, fixed ip is nice to have
and I don't need domain or hosting, just an unrestricted service (no
blocked ports)

Eclipse seem a possibility - any one got anything good or bad to report on
them ?

AOL has generally a bad name, but is it really bad?
And how is it bad?
They are promising unlimited everything for 25 GBP a month

Lorenz (worried by the developments at PlusNet)

[L.]
Old January 15th 06, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Tekguru (Daron Brewood) wrote:

I had a lot of connectivity / customer service issues with Eclipse - plus a
_lot_ of downtime. So ended up moving to Plusnet. Not that much better.

Sounds like your line, or your router/ADSL hardware, is 'jinxed'.

What are the line attenuation and SNR figures, if you have them,
as lots of disconnections sounds more like equipment/line than
ISP (while I have my own complaints about Plus.Net policies, I
would still need convincing it was their end always causing a
lot of disconnections - there would be others complaining if
it was happening on a wider scale, wouldn't there). Peter M.

Old January 15th 06, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Rob382 wrote:

Eclipse seem a possibility - any one got anything good or bad to report on
them ?

A friend used them very happily for a couple of years (he then decided
to cancel his second phone line, only being used for ADSL, and had his
first line connected with another ISP, which was a bit cheaper for the
needs of his family (PN Home Surf). No complaints with Eclipse, but I
know that was well before the disruption they had recently - a bad few
days, that's all, from the comments of another friend who is using the
Flex account. He's using Metronet in his city office, but if they're
planning to mess about with things (he's happy to use Supernews with a
decent set of binaries) then he will not hesitate to switch from Metro
(ie Plus.Net) to Eclipse and get newsgroups from somewhere reliable (I
don't know what service Eclipse uses/offers for news, it did none some
time back). Peter M.

Old January 15th 06, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Happychappy

Just signed with Eclipse - waiting for connection at mo. They do have a news
service, not sure who provides it, only restriction is bandwidth is limited
to 2 x 15Kbps connections at a time.

HTH

Happychappy

Old January 16th 06, 01:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
if

Phil Thompson wrote in
:

wrote:

Eclipse seem a possibility - any one got anything good or bad to
report on them ?

generally get good words, owned by Kingston Comms. There packages are
priced by speed, the unlimited 2M is 30 or 24 for 1M. Monthly
contract.

I switched from Plusnet's BB+ to Eclipse a couple of weeks ago, bit early
to say but in general things go a lot faster now that I'm free of plusnet's
accursed traffic throttling. Torrents are much faster for instance, often
reaching the max. the line is capable of.

I went for Flex-500 as it's only 18/month, unlimited usage, and I didn't
feel an extra 6/month for a 1Mb account was worth it for my level of usage
(~15GB/month). I had a 1Mb connection with Plusnet but their throttling
made it more like 250K, so this downgrade to a 500k account is in practice
an upgrade (I hope that makes sense!)

The Web based account management is somewhat dire, a bit more confusing
than Plusnet's (which was also pretty unnavigable I always thought), but
the actual adsl service is ok.

Usenet is limited to 2 x 15KB/sec connections to Giganews (but at least
that means good binary retention). It's good enough for me (and about 10
times faster than plusnet was at peak times) but might be a hassle if you
want to download huge amounts.

--
See other side for details.