Which VOIP router to choose?

Old January 15th 06, 11:17 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Which VOIP router to choose?

I'm looking for an ADSL router that also has a couple of VOIP ports,
front runners at the moment seem to be the Draytek Vigor 2800VG and
the Zyxel Prestige 2602HWL. Does anyone have any comments on these
two or can anyone recommend any alternatives?

Requirements are nothing special but I would like two VOIP channnels
and comprehesive firewall facilities (at least as good as my present
Zyxel 660H).

--
Chris Green

Old January 15th 06, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

wrote in message ...
I'm looking for an ADSL router that also has a couple of VOIP ports,
front runners at the moment seem to be the Draytek Vigor 2800VG and
the Zyxel Prestige 2602HWL. Does anyone have any comments on these
two or can anyone recommend any alternatives?

Requirements are nothing special but I would like two VOIP channnels
and comprehesive firewall facilities (at least as good as my present
Zyxel 660H).

--
Chris Green

The Draytek seems to have issues with VOIP on its 2 ports.

The Sipura 2100 works well with regards to VOIP but the router doesn't have
a firewall, nor an ADSL connection & it's only got a 10Mb WAN port.

AVM's FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN seems to do what you ask, and has good reports, at
least on uk.telecom.voip, which is where I suggest you seek additional
information.

Old January 15th 06, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marty C

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
I'm looking for an ADSL router that also has a couple of VOIP ports,
front runners at the moment seem to be the Draytek Vigor 2800VG and
the Zyxel Prestige 2602HWL. Does anyone have any comments on these
two or can anyone recommend any alternatives?

Requirements are nothing special but I would like two VOIP channnels
and comprehesive firewall facilities (at least as good as my present
Zyxel 660H).

Chris, like you I've been trying get a decent VOIP router for the last 2
months. It's a minefield of products that are bug ridden and some that just
don't work.

First choice was the £140 ZyXel Prestige 2602HWL. Although there were
reports some 6 months previously about power supply problems, they would
obviously have sorted such a fundamental problem in 6 months wouldn't they?
The router duly arrived in late November. Guess what, the power supply
didn't work. Are far as I'm concerned, any company that can't resolve such a
basic problem in 6 months can't be trusted with anything more complicated,
so the router went back.

Next choice was a £135 Billion 7402VGO. An ADSL wireless router with 2 VOIP
ports which seemed to have received decent reviews in Oz. The router
arrived, but there's a bug in the latest firmware and the DHCP server can
not give a wireless connection an IP address. A pretty fundamental problem .
To make matters worse this has been known about for more than 6 months.
Billion tech support provided a Beta version firmware update (why Beta after
6 months?) but that only worked for a couple of days, then the lease timed
out and wouldn't re-new until the unit was re-booted. So that router's gone
back.

Haven't used the new Draytek 2800VG. I have used other Drayteks and they are
excellent, so subject to what's already been said, you can expect the 2800VG
to be as well, but at £180 it ain't cheap.

My current view is to get the Thomson SpeedTouch 716 v5 WL
www.speedtouch.com/prod716.htm (not the 716g though as there are reports of
problems with that as well). At £85 it has 2 VOIP ports and all the main
features of the models you list except the ability to act as a VPN server.
The main reason though is the good reports and that it is the model supplied
/ recommended by the largest number of ISPs. Presumably they wouldn't
continue to supply such units if there were problems with them. If anyone
knows differently please let me know!

Hope this helps.

Marty

Old January 15th 06, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Jono wrote:

wrote in message ...
[...]

Excellent information, thanks, I didn't know there was a uk.telecom.voip
I'll be there in a little while!

--
Chris Green

Old January 15th 06, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Marty C wrote:
"Jono" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
[...]

I've got two Zyxels (non-VOIP ones) and they've both been very
reliable, though there are some buglets in the firmware.

Next choice was a ?135 Billion 7402VGO. An ADSL wireless router with 2 VOIP
ports which seemed to have received decent reviews in Oz. The router
arrived, but there's a bug in the latest firmware and the DHCP server can
not give a wireless connection an IP address. A pretty fundamental problem .
To make matters worse this has been known about for more than 6 months.
Billion tech support provided a Beta version firmware update (why Beta after
6 months?) but that only worked for a couple of days, then the lease timed
out and wouldn't re-new until the unit was re-booted. So that router's gone
back.

I don't use wireless or DHCP so that wouldn't be an issue for me.

Haven't used the new Draytek 2800VG. I have used other Drayteks and they are
excellent, so subject to what's already been said, you can expect the 2800VG
to be as well, but at ?180 it ain't cheap.

See the other response, reportedly buggy VOIP.

My current view is to get the Thomson SpeedTouch 716 v5 WL
www.speedtouch.com/prod716.htm (not the 716g though as there are reports of
problems with that as well). At ?85 it has 2 VOIP ports and all the main
features of the models you list except the ability to act as a VPN server.
The main reason though is the good reports and that it is the model supplied
/ recommended by the largest number of ISPs. Presumably they wouldn't
continue to supply such units if there were problems with them. If anyone
knows differently please let me know!

The SpeedTouch as far as I can see doesn't have a proper firewall,
just NAT.

--
Chris Green

Old January 15th 06, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marty C

wrote in message ...
The SpeedTouch as far as I can see doesn't have a proper firewall,
just NAT.

Chris Green

Elaborate please?

As far as I can see it has:-
ICSA certified firewall
NAT
SPI
DOS protection
IP packet filtering (based on IP address, port, protocol)
URL filtering
Port forwarding
DMZ

It looks OK to me. Am I missing something?

Marty

Old January 15th 06, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Moonshine

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:48:58 -0000, "Marty C"
wrote:

wrote in message ...
The SpeedTouch as far as I can see doesn't have a proper firewall,
just NAT.

Chris Green

Elaborate please?

As far as I can see it has:-
ICSA certified firewall
NAT
SPI
DOS protection
IP packet filtering (based on IP address, port, protocol)
URL filtering
Port forwarding
DMZ

It looks OK to me. Am I missing something?

Marty

You are correct the SpeedTouch does have a full SPI firewall.

Soon to be released firmware will allow you to configure/customise it
via the Web interface as well ;-)
Old January 15th 06, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marty C

"Moonshine" wrote in message

You are correct the SpeedTouch does have a full SPI firewall.

Soon to be released firmware will allow you to configure/customise it
via the Web interface as well ;-)

Moonshine, you sound like you have experience of the SpeedTouch 716 WL?

I'm just after a relaible ADSL wireless router with VOIP that actually works
properly. No VPN server necessary. Preferably one with half decent WiFi
performance and that isn't too bad on a long line (4.5km) with low SNR of
14dB (2Mb service).

Is this a good choice, or can you recommend anything better? Seems a bit of
a bargain to me.

Marty

Old January 15th 06, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Marty C" wrote in message

[snip]

I'm just after a relaible ADSL wireless router with VOIP
that actually works properly. No VPN server necessary.
Preferably one with half decent WiFi performance and that
isn't too bad on a long line (4.5km) with low SNR of 14dB
(2Mb service).

In that case I can thoroughly recommend the AVM Fritz!Box Fon WLAN. I have
the non-wireless version as I don't need that facility and it has worked
faultlessly in the 6 months I've had it. I even have a Sipura SPA-2000
plugged into the LAN port for an additional 2 VoIP lines and I haven't had
to enable forwarding for any ports, it just works.

Incidentally, a feature I've not seen on *any* other equipment - you can
store details for up to 10 SIP accounts from any number of providers and
have the incoming calls ring either or both phone ports.

www.avm.de/en for more info.

Ivor

Old January 16th 06, 02:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

The Zyxel is just fine, had one since May, no problems, power supply is OK,
perhaps it needs to be kept cool, but that's probably true of all power
supplies.
I see that the HW version is just £87 from broadbandbuyer, so unless you
really need PSTN pass-trough, go for that one. (they may have made mistake
with the price, wouldn't be the first time, get one quick)

Draytek makes excellent routers, but, at least on the 2600VG, they haven't
got the VoIP firmware quite right yet. You can't use just one phone to
operate both lines and for some reason no one has been able to get
sipdiscount to work on it either. Not sure if anything improved on the
2800VG.
Regards,
Martin