Disconnections/reconnections from PlusNet around 0500-0700 in the morning

Old January 15th 06, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

Default Disconnections/reconnections from PlusNet around 0500-0700 in the morning

Has anyone else noticed their router disconnecting from ADSL in the early
morning? I've noticed from my router's log that it disconnects some time
between 0500 and 0700, maybe once or twice a month; sometimes it reconnects
immediately (LCP is down; LCP is allowed to come up; CHAP authentication
success) whereas sometimes it goes through the same cycle several times over
a 2-hour period or else disconnects and then LCP fails to come up again for
a hour or so.

It's not a problem because I'm asleep at that time, but I'm curious as to
what's causing it. Is it PlusNet (actually Force9) doing some maintenance
work, or is it BT doing maintenance?

I think my router (Netgear DG834GT with firmware V1.01.28) is OK. I've never
had it disconnect at any other time.

The other day I had a customer's DG834G (as opposed to GT) which got into a
state where it perpetually connected and then LCP dropped after exactly 40
seconds, so the internet connection was up and down like a whore's drawers.
That seemed to be cured by powering-off the router, though I also took the
opportunity to upgrade it from V1.05.00 to V3.00.25 while I was at it. So
far I've not heard any reports that it's failed again, so either the
power-cycling or the firmware upgrade has fixed things.

Old January 16th 06, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Martin Underwood wrote:

Has anyone else noticed their router disconnecting from ADSL in the early
morning? I've noticed from my router's log that it disconnects some time
between 0500 and 0700, maybe once or twice a month; sometimes it reconnects

It's not a problem because I'm asleep at that time, but I'm curious as to
what's causing it. Is it PlusNet (actually Force9) doing some maintenance
work, or is it BT doing maintenance?

a) why not post this in 'customer-feedback' as you'll find a number of
Plus.Net/Force9 customer will see it there

b) do any of these disconnections coincide with routine maintenance as
once or twice a month is roughly in line with their pattern of work
(though they sometimes give less than 24 hours notice, you can look
at the various postings about maintenance, and/or get mail about it
so should be easy to compare with your logged disconnections).