Any really pay-as-you-go ADSL preoviders?

Old January 16th 06, 10:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Any really pay-as-you-go ADSL preoviders?

I suspect the answer is no but I may as well ask. Are there any ISPs
who do a genuine pay-as-you-go broadband? I want to have a service
available as backup to my existing ADSL service. I have two phone
lines so it's prefectly possible but it would only make sense if the
'backup ADSL' had zero, or at least very small, costs per month if it
isn't used.

I believe BT are trialling a payg service.

--
Chris Green

Old January 16th 06, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

wrote:
I suspect the answer is no but I may as well ask. Are there any ISPs
who do a genuine pay-as-you-go broadband?

This lot ? :-

http://www.lixxus.co.uk/

Old January 16th 06, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Mark Carver wrote:

wrote:
I suspect the answer is no but I may as well ask. Are there any ISPs
who do a genuine pay-as-you-go broadband?

This lot ? :-

http://www.lixxus.co.uk/

Coo, yes, it would appear to be ideal, especially as the price is
capped as well. Does anyone have any experience with Lixxus?

--
Chris Green

Old January 16th 06, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

wrote:
I suspect the answer is no but I may as well ask. Are there any
ISPs who do a genuine pay-as-you-go broadband?

This lot ? :-

http://www.lixxus.co.uk/

Coo, yes, it would appear to be ideal, especially as the price is
capped as well. Does anyone have any experience with Lixxus?

They will monitor your usage, and if they're not making enough money out of
you, they will transfer you to another scheme or terminate your contract.
This is stated in their T&C and FUP; it is not based on experience.
No such thing as a free lunch.

Old January 16th 06, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 10:16:44 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

or at least very small, costs per month if it
isn't used.

GBP11.75 for Metronet ?

'bout the lowest cost option.

Phil

Old January 16th 06, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Howells

Grumps wrote:

They will monitor your usage, and if they're not making enough money out of
you, they will transfer you to another scheme or terminate your contract.
This is stated in their T&C and FUP; it is not based on experience.
No such thing as a free lunch.

Ah. Wondered what the catch was considering it costs the ISP around a
tenner a month to have ADSL active on an end user's line. Verging on a
shady business model IMO since it's certainly not obvious from looking
at the sales blurb.
Old January 16th 06, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Grumps wrote:
wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

wrote:
I suspect the answer is no but I may as well ask. Are there any
ISPs who do a genuine pay-as-you-go broadband?

This lot ? :-

http://www.lixxus.co.uk/

Coo, yes, it would appear to be ideal, especially as the price is
capped as well. Does anyone have any experience with Lixxus?

They will monitor your usage, and if they're not making enough money out of
you, they will transfer you to another scheme or terminate your contract.
This is stated in their T&C and FUP; it is not based on experience.
No such thing as a free lunch.

Yes, I read their web site (pretty good by the way, lots of
information and explanations) and found that out.

I also E-Mailed them and asked what minimum spend per month they would
require, I got a very prompt answer saying that they would need about
10/month on average to make the connection viable.

--
Chris Green

Old January 16th 06, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Chris Howells wrote:

They will monitor your usage, and if they're not making enough money out of
you, they will transfer you to another scheme or terminate your contract.
This is stated in their T&C and FUP; it is not based on experience.
No such thing as a free lunch.

Ah. Wondered what the catch was considering it costs the ISP around a
tenner a month to have ADSL active on an end user's line. Verging on a
shady business model IMO since it's certainly not obvious from looking
at the sales blurb.

It's stated pretty clearly in their FAQ.

-- Richard
Old January 16th 06, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Richard Tobin wrote:

It's stated pretty clearly in their FAQ.

Yes, I felt sure it initially looked 'too good to be true'
but they certainly did have a clear warning not to 'take
the mickey' and keep it only as a very low cost backup.