modem- router replacement Advice

Old January 16th 06, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com

Default modem- router replacement Advice

I need advise
I'm thinking of purchasing a wireless modem-router to replace the
Binatone USB modem that came when i signed up to Plusnet because i've
got a new laptop with wi-fi and want it and the PC to be able to go on
the net

This is all new -to-me, but i was hoping there would be a suitable
easy to install/configure, reliable, replacement that I could install

A friend has already tried a Netgear WG602 wireless access point. but
had to give up as he couldn't get the Binatone & Netgear to talk to
each other - something about different isp addresses?

Martin

Old January 16th 06, 03:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com wrote:

I need advise
I'm thinking of purchasing a wireless modem-router to replace the
Binatone USB modem that came when i signed up to Plusnet because i've
got a new laptop with wi-fi and want it and the PC to be able to go on
the net

This is all new -to-me, but i was hoping there would be a suitable
easy to install/configure, reliable, replacement that I could install

A friend has already tried a Netgear WG602 wireless access point. but
had to give up as he couldn't get the Binatone & Netgear to talk to
each other - something about different isp addresses?

Martin

You need to bin the USB modem, and get a combined ADSL modem/wireless
router - of which there are many on the market from Netgear, Linksys, 3Com
etc. plus lots of lesser (or no) brands.

The wireless modem/router connects to the ADSL phone socket and makes the
physical connection to your ISP. Most have 4 RJ45 sockets to which up to 4
computers can be connected by wires - requiring an ethernet connection on
each connected PC. A large number of computers can also be connected
wirelessly - using appropriate wireless netword adapters (unless built-in -
as is the case with many modern laptops).

They are all easy to install, and will work virtually straight out of the
box (once you have given them some basic information about your BB account).
BUT, be aware that the default configuration provides absolutely *no*
wireless security - making it easy for all the world and his dog (those
within wireless range, anyway!) to hack into your wireless network. So you
need to gen up on how to secure everything before going too far down this
road.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 16th 06, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Martin wrote:

A friend has already tried a Netgear WG602 wireless access point. but
had to give up as he couldn't get the Binatone & Netgear to talk to
each other - something about different isp addresses?

The general advice is to go for an 'all in one' unit such as the DG834G,
rather than trying a WAP connected to some existing kit. If yours only
has USB, it'll be even more of a 'no no' !

There will be various pro-Netgear/anti-Netgear comments. I'm not using
any wireless kit here, it was just a model to give you an example, with
the Linksys and Belkin models I helped friends with now being 'old' you
would be looking at current model numbers anyway. Peter M.

Old January 16th 06, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Tiscali Tim wrote:

You need to bin the USB modem,

hmmm, unplug and keep on the shelf maybe, in case problems with
the router mean it is sent off for repair, or to order another,
if necessary... Depends whether OP ever lends out kit to some
friend in need, on short loan.

Old January 16th 06, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Peter M wrote:

Tiscali Tim wrote:

You need to bin the USB modem,

hmmm, unplug and keep on the shelf maybe, in case problems with
the router mean it is sent off for repair, or to order another,
if necessary... Depends whether OP ever lends out kit to some
friend in need, on short loan.

Yes OK, you don't actually have to throw it away - just stop using it. I was
trying to make the point that you need a modem/router *instead of* the USB
modem not *as well* as it.

By all means keep it as an emergency backup.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 17th 06, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Perrett

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:28:49 +0000, Peter M wrote:

Martin wrote:

A friend has already tried a Netgear WG602 wireless access point. but
had to give up as he couldn't get the Binatone & Netgear to talk to
each other - something about different isp addresses?

The general advice is to go for an 'all in one' unit such as the DG834G,
rather than trying a WAP connected to some existing kit. If yours only
has USB, it'll be even more of a 'no no' !

I'm a happy DG834G user here. I bought it from Amazon with a free Netgear
USB wireless dongle - I'm not so happy with the USB dongle but as it was
free I guess I can't complain too much.

Cheers

James.
Old January 17th 06, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

wrote:
I'm a happy DG834G user here. I bought it from Amazon with a free
Netgear USB wireless dongle - I'm not so happy with the USB dongle
but as it was free I guess I can't complain too much.

It wasn't free at all, unless you could have had it without buying the
router - which I doubt! If it came bundled with the router, the usual Sale
of Goods stuff applies. You are fully entitled to complain and to get it
replaced/remedied if it doesn't work properly.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 17th 06, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com

Thanks for all the info folks
Now all I have to decide on is make/model
The Vigor 2800G (though a bit pricy) and Netgear DG834G seem to get
reasonable reviews. but the netgear has seen numerous firmware
upgrades. None of these appear to have solved all problems for all
people

Martin