Phone line blocked after house move

Old January 16th 06, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

Default Phone line blocked after house move

"RzB" wrote in message
My wife's sister has recently moved back to
the UK from abroad. I have built her a
PC and am trying to help her set up an ISP
and a broadband connection. When we try to
set up an account with an ISP we are told
that the line is already taken by another ISP.

We explained about the move etc and the
advice was to contact the ex householder
and get them to tell their ISP to release the line.
They say they have told the ISP (Tiscali) and it
should have already happened.

Tiscali of course won't discuss the matter
with us.

Also the telephone number did not stay
with the house. My wife's sister insisted on
a new number...

What is our best course of action?

Roy

Put another line on, perhaps with another SP, and cancel the original one.

Old January 16th 06, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
RzB wrote:
Also the telephone number did not stay
with the house. My wife's sister insisted on
a new number...

There's no such thing as a "new number". It will almost certainly
have been used before by someone else. So perhaps whoever had it last
has not cancelled their ADSL contract. Unfortunately, you have no
idea who that was.

-- Richard
Old January 16th 06, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 15:43:35 -0000, RzB wrote:

Tiscali of course won't discuss the matter

Get BT to intervene.

--
Nigel M
Old January 16th 06, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Put another line on, perhaps with another SP, and cancel
the original one.

Why should his wife's sister have to pay 74.99 when BT Retail
should be able to confirm to BT Wholesale that the line rental
has been switched to a new customer, and any ADSL for an earlier
customer should be cancelled ?

It's the rather crazy situation of BT Wholesale not talking to
an end user, and not being willing to accept any 'reasonable'
requests from them. This seems a 'reasonable' request and
OFCOM or someone might need to tell them to sort it out, as
a last resort, if BTW insists on being ridiculous. I can see
why they would not normally want to talk to a residential line
renter but this does seem rather silly, and while you (RMC) gave
a possible solution, it should simply not be a necessary one in
either cost or nuisance (as people will now know the number for
the existing line, and it is a further nuisance to have a new
phone line, especially if sole reason is to cure a BTW 'ill'.

Old January 16th 06, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Clifford

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, RzB wrote:

My wife's sister has recently moved back to
the UK from abroad. I have built her a
PC and am trying to help her set up an ISP
and a broadband connection. When we try to
set up an account with an ISP we are told
that the line is already taken by another ISP.

We explained about the move etc and the
advice was to contact the ex householder
and get them to tell their ISP to release the line.
They say they have told the ISP (Tiscali) and it
should have already happened.

I have had this happen to some customers in the past and the best thing to
do is to complain to BT and ask your ISP to do so as well. It may be that
the cease order has not completed on the line or that Tiscali balls it up.

Either way the line should have been automatically ceased when the old
occupant left and she took over the phone line.

it may take a few days to sort out but it should be farely straight
forward.

Jason Clifford
--
UKPOST.COM get your @ukpost.com address now...
http://www.ukpost.com/ Professional Hosting and Colocation

Old January 16th 06, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:55:06 +0000, Peter M
wrote:

It's the rather crazy situation of BT Wholesale not talking to
an end user, and not being willing to accept any 'reasonable'
requests from them

would they know you from Adam ?

would they be sure that the ISP was happy to have you disconnected ?

there are some potential problems.

Phil

Old January 16th 06, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
YR

"Jason Clifford" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, RzB wrote:

When we try to
set up an account with an ISP we are told
that the line is already taken by another ISP.

I have had this happen to some customers in the past and the best thing to
do is to complain to BT and ask your ISP to do so as well. It may be that
the cease order has not completed on the line or that Tiscali balls it up.

Either way the line should have been automatically ceased when the old
occupant left and she took over the phone line.

it may take a few days to sort out but it should be farely straight
forward.

This has happened to me too on moving house, and can confirm that the best
thing to do is for you to keep on at BT accounts, and your ISP to BT
Wholesale and eventually it will happen. It was explained to me that as
soon as you take over the account at the new address (whether it is a new
number or not) then all previous provisions on the line, including ADSL,
should cease. Only it isn't perfect and it doesn't always happen straight
away.

Beware - the person you speak to in BT accounts may not have the right
training and might be wrong - the people I spoke to insisted it was up to my
ISP to sort it out. My ISP insisted that BT Wholesale would not deal with
them regarding matters to do with my BT account and I had to get BT accounts
to put the order in to get BT Wholesale to put the order in for someone to
flick a switch at the exchange. The most frustrating thing was ringing BT
accounts, and as soon as the person on the other end heard "broadband" they
put me through to BT Broadband - the ISP. Funnily enough they were the most
helpful people I spoke to in the whole sorry saga even though they aren't my
ISP!

you'll get there eventually.

Old January 20th 06, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RzB

OK - Many thanks to all - yes we did finally manage to
find someone in BT that was able to assist. Took a little
button pressing but hey....

They managed to free the line up there and then...

Thanks for the advice...
Roy

Old January 27th 06, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RzB

"RzB" wrote in message
OK - Many thanks to all - yes we did finally manage to
find someone in BT that was able to assist. Took a little
button pressing but hey....

They managed to free the line up there and then...

Thanks for the advice...
Roy

Hmm - so BT was chosen as the ISP...

Signed up and told we would be connected
on Wednesday 26 - then on Wednesday it's move to
Thursday 27 then on Thursday it's moved to 2nd Feb.

Hmmm....

Roy