BT Answers

Old January 18th 06, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maciej

Default BT Answers

Dear Sir / Madam

Please accept my apologies for the delay in replying to you and for any
inconvenience this may have caused.

If you are still experiencing an issue in setting up the Voyager
wireless system is you can call the helpdesk directly on 0870 243 3204.

I hope this information has been useful to you.
Please do not hesitate to get back to me should you need any further
assistance.

Yours sincerely,

Steven

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Hi BT,

I would like to make a query on behalf of our customer. The end customer
has a BT Voyager 205 Router with an ADSL connection from BT. Although
unsafe, he wants to create a simple GRE tunnel following the diagram shown
below.

ADSL ---- [A] Voyager 205 [b] ---- [C] Server (Linux) [D] ---- [E] PC

[A] - is the IP obtained from the ISP (ppp-0) i.e. 90.90.90.90
[b] - is the "private" zone IP address on Voyager i.e. 192.168.2.254/24
[C] - is the "public" zone IP address on server i.e. 192.168.2.1/24
[D] - is the "private" zone IP address on server i.e. 10.10.10.1/24
[E] - is the "public" zone IP address on a PC box i.e. 10.10.10.2/24

1) The server is on DMZ zone (as set up on Voyager) all traffic is forwarded
2) The PC box has a default route 10.10.10.1
3) The server does the NAT routing between two internal ranges (iptables)
4) The server has a default route 192.168.2.254
5) The Voyager has the following static route: destination 10.10.10.0/24
via 192.168.2.1

Suppose we have the Remote Desktop set up on PC. If additional port
forwarding rules are issued on the DMZ server, it is possible to connect
to the PC via Remote Desktop or any other service (as far as the right
forwarding rules are set up).

Nevertheless if we have the following situation:

[a] Remote [b] ---gre--- [A] Voyager 205 [b] --- [C] Server [D]

and we have the following setting:

[a] - IP from internal remote range i.e. 192.168.1.1/24
[b] - IP from external remote i.e. 80.80.80.80
[A-D] - same as above

If we set the following rules:

on Remote:
ip tunnel add tun0 mode gre remote 90.90.90.90 local 80.80.80.80 ttl 255
ip addr add 192.168.1.253 dev tun0
ip link set tun0 up
ip link set tun0 mtu 1514
ip route add 10.10.10.0/24 dev tun0

on Server:
ip tunnel add tun0 mode gre remote 80.80.80.80 local 192.168.2.1 ttl 255
ip addr add 10.10.10.253 dev tun0
ip link set tun0 up
ip link set tun0 mtu 1514
ip route add 192.168.1.0/24 dev tun0

PS: I've noticed that Voyager has the mtu set up to 1500...

These settings with the routing entries should work quite fine I believe.
The tunnel does not work with none of the following: "local 192.168.2.1"
or "local 90.90.90.90" settings on "Server tunnel setting". As far as I
concern GRE is a protno 47. I am not sure if it can be or is it set by
default while doing DMZ on the Voyager router. Can you please advise about
the GRE/DMZ issues on 205 Voyager router.

Looking forward to contact from you,

Kind regards,
Old January 18th 06, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Faulkner

In message , Maciej
writes
Dear Sir / Madam

Please accept my apologies for the delay in replying to you and for any
inconvenience this may have caused.

If you are still experiencing an issue in setting up the Voyager
wireless system is you can call the helpdesk directly on 0870 243 3204.

I hope this information has been useful to you.
Please do not hesitate to get back to me should you need any further
assistance.

Yours sincerely,

Steven

I made a complaint in September and received a reply a week later:

"Our records show that you have an outstanding enquiry with BT?s
e-Customer Services team.

We are currently experiencing exceptionally high volumes of emails,
hence the extended delay in responding to your enquiry. Please accept
our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

While waiting you may have called us to discuss your enquiry, or found
what you need on BT.com and no longer require an email response. If
however, you still do require assistance, please let us know by replying
with 'Please Action Urgently' on the Subject line.

If you do still need our help, please be reassured that we have
increased the number of customer services advisors working on email
enquiries and will be in touch as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience during these extremely busy times.

Sincerely
BT eCustomer Services team"

Replied and heard f**k all !!

--
Richard Faulkner
Old January 19th 06, 07:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

Maciej wrote:
snip complicated support question

How much technical support do other ISPs provide in this situation? This
sounds like more than your average user requirements.

Old January 19th 06, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Molesworth

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 07:15:01 -0000, Grumps wrote:

This sounds like more than your average user requirements.

Quite agree, I don't see the point of the posting.

--
Nigel M
Old January 19th 06, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maciej

Grumps wrote:
Maciej wrote:
snip complicated support question

How much technical support do other ISPs provide in this situation? This
sounds like more than your average user requirements.

You are right that it is above the average, but:

1) They could reply me back giving the details on the Voyager support.
2) Did you compare my query with the answer. I did not ask ANYTHING
about Wireless :

My question: Can you please advise about the GRE/DMZ issues on 205
Voyager router.

Their answer: If you are still experiencing an issue in setting up the
Voyager wireless system

ROTFL .