Belkin Wireless Pre-N Router - variable wireless signal

Old January 19th 06, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim

Default Belkin Wireless Pre-N Router - variable wireless signal

Model F5D8230. Anyone else have a problem with the wireless signal
varying in strength? Nothing to do with walls in the way - happens when
laptop is sitting right next to the router.
Thanks,
Tim

Old January 19th 06, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
phantom

"Tim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Model F5D8230. Anyone else have a problem with the wireless signal
varying in strength? Nothing to do with walls in the way - happens when
laptop is sitting right next to the router.
Thanks,
Tim

What wifi are you using in the laptop?

My setup was fine until I bought a new laptop! - the new laptop has standard
802.11g inside it (the old ones have the belkin pre-n pcmcia cards), and I'm
wondering if, for some silly reason, the router has a problem with the
mix... It does seem to go away when I turn off the inbuilt wireless and use
a pre-n card instead.

unfortunately, mixed into this I have updated the routers firmware and toyed
with BurstACK amongst other settings, so I'm not too sure.

Old January 19th 06, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 19 Jan 2006 08:49:33 -0800, "Tim"
wrote:

Model F5D8230. Anyone else have a problem with the wireless signal
varying in strength? Nothing to do with walls in the way - happens when
laptop is sitting right next to the router.
Thanks,

I encountered a similar condition, though not with rx and tx side by
side, with a Belkin wireless access point, F5D7130UK connected to a
single port router (voyager 205) using BT Broadband. Signal strength
varied from -50db to -65db during the day and -60db to -75db during
the evening, monitored on a Belkin PC Network card by Belkin's
Wireless Configuration Utility - Link Status option.

I changed ISP and the router exhibited a disconnection problem. After
much pd on the disconnects, and in desperation, I purchased a Netgear
DG834G wireless router. That fixed the disconnects, and made the
Belkin access point redundant. The rx signal from the Netgear varies
less. It is currently, varying from -42db to -46db. The router is in
*exactly* the same position as the Belkin Access point was, and the PC
is in the same location.

I wish I knew how to measure the tx power on these two bits of kit
because one of them has a problem!

--
cerberus
Old January 20th 06, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim

phantom wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Model F5D8230. Anyone else have a problem with the wireless signal
varying in strength? Nothing to do with walls in the way - happens when
laptop is sitting right next to the router.
Thanks,
Tim

What wifi are you using in the laptop?

My setup was fine until I bought a new laptop! - the new laptop has standard
802.11g inside it (the old ones have the belkin pre-n pcmcia cards), and I'm
wondering if, for some silly reason, the router has a problem with the
mix... It does seem to go away when I turn off the inbuilt wireless and use
a pre-n card instead.

unfortunately, mixed into this I have updated the routers firmware and toyed
with BurstACK amongst other settings, so I'm not too sure.

Thanks
The laptop has 802.11g but I don't think that's the problem - the
router was bundled with a PCI adaptor (now in my son's PC) and that has
the same problem (without trying to use the laptop at the same time).
Tim

Old January 20th 06, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Tim wrote:

Model F5D8230. Anyone else have a problem with the wireless signal
varying in strength? Nothing to do with walls in the way - happens when
laptop is sitting right next to the router.

The thing you have to remember with WiFi is that it uses the unlicensed
2.4GHz band - so basically any piece of kit can use that spectrum, without
regard to what interference it causes to other users of the band. So,
Bluetooth, WiFi, wireless video cameras, microwave ovens and other
"Industrial, Scientific and Medical" users are in that space, and may be
the cause of what you describe. You could try changing channels, or using
directional antennae to eliminate interference.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
23:40:52 up 5 days, 3:55, 2 users, load average: 0.71, 0.62, 0.52

Old January 23rd 06, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
phantom

The thing you have to remember with WiFi is that it uses the unlicensed
2.4GHz band - so basically any piece of kit can use that spectrum, without
regard to what interference it causes to other users of the band. So,
Bluetooth, WiFi, wireless video cameras, microwave ovens and other
"Industrial, Scientific and Medical" users are in that space, and may be
the cause of what you describe. You could try changing channels, or using
directional antennae to eliminate interference.

DECT telephones too IIRC... although with pre-n mimo technology, this
*shouldn't* be a problem - its always operating on two channels and actively
searches out the best ones available.

Old January 23rd 06, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

phantom wrote:

The thing you have to remember with WiFi is that it uses the unlicensed
2.4GHz band - so basically any piece of kit can use that spectrum,
without regard to what interference it causes to other users of the band.
So, Bluetooth, WiFi, wireless video cameras, microwave ovens and other
"Industrial, Scientific and Medical" users are in that space, and may be
the cause of what you describe. You could try changing channels, or using
directional antennae to eliminate interference.

DECT telephones too IIRC... although with pre-n mimo technology, this
*shouldn't* be a problem - its always operating on two channels and
actively searches out the best ones available.

Nope, DECT is a different band. If your DECT phones affect your Wifi, you
have faulty kit.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
20:27:21 up 8 days, 42 min, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.11, 0.09

Old January 24th 06, 12:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
phantom

DECT telephones too IIRC... although with pre-n mimo technology, this
*shouldn't* be a problem - its always operating on two channels and
actively searches out the best ones available.

Nope, DECT is a different band. If your DECT phones affect your Wifi, you
have faulty kit.

Fair enough, but my point about pre-n still stands... also, a quick google
shows that one can get cordless phones that operate on the 2.4Ghz band
(albeit not DECT standard)

Old January 24th 06, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:15:19 GMT, "phantom"
wrote:

a quick google
shows that one can get cordless phones that operate on the 2.4Ghz band

primarily in the US I suspect, where they don't have DECT

Phil
--
http://www.notspot.info/ - if you can't get the Broadband you want.
Old January 24th 06, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

phantom wrote:

DECT telephones too IIRC... although with pre-n mimo technology, this
*shouldn't* be a problem - its always operating on two channels and
actively searches out the best ones available.

Nope, DECT is a different band. If your DECT phones affect your Wifi, you
have faulty kit.

Fair enough, but my point about pre-n still stands...

Which was? Something that uses a different frequency band shouldn't affect
pre-N wifi?

also, a quick google
shows that one can get cordless phones that operate on the 2.4Ghz band
(albeit not DECT standard)

Type-approved for use in the UK? Doubtful.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:50:36 up 9 days, 2:05, 5 users, load average: 1.17, 0.40, 0.23