NTL query

Old January 20th 06, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cuprager

Default NTL query

Hi,

I am planning ahead here...

I am getting NTL BB installed and have a question. I am going to be
installing a wifi router straight away, will I have to register its MAC
address with NTL? Will i have to enter a username and password into the
router ala ADSL or will it connect automagically?

Thanks

Gerry
Old January 20th 06, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparks

"Cuprager" wrote in message
Hi,

I am planning ahead here...

I am getting NTL BB installed and have a question. I am going to be
installing a wifi router straight away, will I have to register its MAC
address with NTL? Will i have to enter a username and password into the
router ala ADSL or will it connect automagically?

Thanks

Gerry

Just connect the router to the NTL modem or set top box, then on one of your
PC's try to go to any *root* web address (for example www.ntl.com rather
than www.ntl.com/whatever
The NTL provisioning page should appear and ask you for your PID and
password - this will register the MAC address of the router to NTL - you
shouldn't need to do anything to the router (other than setting your WiFi
SSID name and Encryption keys (Don't forget this or anyone near by will be
able to use your connection and possibly access stuff on your PC's!

Sparks...

Old January 20th 06, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Sparks wrote:
"Cuprager" wrote in message
Hi,

I am planning ahead here...

I am getting NTL BB installed and have a question. I am going to be
installing a wifi router straight away, will I have to register
its MAC address with NTL? Will i have to enter a username and
password into the router ala ADSL or will it connect automagically?

Thanks

Gerry

Just connect the router to the NTL modem or set top box, then on
one of your PC's try to go to any *root* web address (for example
www.ntl.com rather than www.ntl.com/whatever
The NTL provisioning page should appear and ask you for your PID and
password - this will register the MAC address of the router to NTL
- you shouldn't need to do anything to the router

Shouldn't even have to do all that, just turn the CM off, connect up
the router & PC turn on the CM let it settle, then turn on your router
then your PC after the router has done it's self test cycle.

If I remember correctly NTL allow 2 changes of MAC within one lease
period, but if they're playing up you could do what I did (many moons
ago) finish with the connection one evening, turn everything off
&connect everything up, go to bed & when you want to go back on go
thru what I have suggested (it worked for me & for every one who has
asked me for suggestions).

It's a different matter with Blueyonder though...

Old January 21st 06, 07:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gutz

"kraftee" wrote in message

Sparks wrote:
"Cuprager" wrote in message
Hi,

I am planning ahead here...

I am getting NTL BB installed and have a question. I am going to be
installing a wifi router straight away, will I have to register
its MAC address with NTL? Will i have to enter a username and
password into the router ala ADSL or will it connect automagically?

Thanks

Gerry

Just connect the router to the NTL modem or set top box, then on
one of your PC's try to go to any *root* web address (for example
www.ntl.com rather than www.ntl.com/whatever
The NTL provisioning page should appear and ask you for your PID and
password - this will register the MAC address of the router to NTL
- you shouldn't need to do anything to the router

Shouldn't even have to do all that

If you've never run the CD / provisioning page before you will not be able
to access the internet until you do this as your modem needs to create a
profile associated with you before it will work.

Old January 21st 06, 07:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

"Cuprager" wrote in message
Hi,

I am planning ahead here...

I am getting NTL BB installed and have a question. I am going to be
installing a wifi router straight away, will I have to register its MAC
address with NTL? Will i have to enter a username and password into the
router ala ADSL or will it connect automagically?

Thanks

Gerry

No. I assume that you are using a wireless cable/dsl router? If so, then
this sits between the modem and the PCs, i.e. you are still going to make
use of your modem which is the component that needs to be registered with
NTL.

Connect your broadband to NTL via the given instructions using the cable
modem provided. Once you establish connection, follow the instructions of
the wireless cable/dsl router. It will ask you to sever the connection
between the modem and PC whilst it is working and you are online and place
the wireless cable/dsl router in between.

If you wish for this process to be simple, get a Belkin wireless cable/dsl
router.

AMO

Old January 21st 06, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Gutz wrote:
"kraftee" wrote in message

Sparks wrote:
"Cuprager" wrote in message
[...]

I didn't even get the CD let alone run it & I do know that in the
majority of customers at that time didn't.

So I didn't receive a CD, so I couldn't run the CD & I had (for NTL) a
relatively trouble free connection for over 4 years or so, maybe
that's why??

Old January 21st 06, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Clark

In article ,
"kraftee" writes:
Gutz wrote:
"kraftee" wrote in message
Sparks wrote:
"Cuprager" wrote in message

[...]

I expect it is! I agree it's nearly always a mistake to install
ISP-provided software which tries to insinuate its own branded Trojans
into various parts of your system. For my NTL cable install I had an old
PC handy which - if the engineer insisted - I could install the NTL CD
on and then re-image afterwards to disinfect. The only trouble I had was
when the cable modem failed - NTL replaced it without too much delay
after the usual nightmare of dealing with their customer services.

For the full information you can't do much better than
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/

But for the simplest sure-fire technique, I'd go along with Kraftee's
suggestion:

--
Tim Clark
Old January 22nd 06, 09:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wira One

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:17:06 +0000, kraftee wrote:
Just connect the router to the NTL modem or set top box, then on
one of your PC's try to go to any *root* web address (for example
www.ntl.com rather than www.ntl.com/whatever
The NTL provisioning page should appear and ask you for your PID and
password - this will register the MAC address of the router to NTL
- you shouldn't need to do anything to the router

Shouldn't even have to do all that, just turn the CM off, connect up
the router & PC turn on the CM let it settle, then turn on your router
then your PC after the router has done it's self test cycle.

I've NTL broadband through Samsung STB and everytime I introduce a new
router, the provisioning webpage came up and I need to add the new router
profile into NTL's record. I've no idea if this has to do with Samsung STB
but it surely asked me to do this .. (had 3 routers and they're all
prompted with the same provisioning page).. after that, it is smooth
sailing.