BT - awful service

Old January 20th 06, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
marcb

Default BT - awful service

I posted this in a BT support group but am not hopeful of any replies.
I'd particularly like to check if what I was told about a speed upgrade
is correct.

Marc

------------------

I've experienced the following in the last few days:

I moved office recently and the DSL is working fine on the moved line.
But trying to get through to billing to change the address is almost
impossible - I got through once and they changed the address wrongly
(left out the company name and the address is wrong - it was luck the
bill came through). Now billing won't answer - left it for 15 mins just
now.

And I've realised we are paying 30 a month for a 512 line . I did get
through to someone who said they couldn't upgrade the line to 2MB and I
should do it myself online - but you have to take out a new contract. Is

this really correct? I have a Blueyonder line at home and recently they
automatically upgraded it to 4Mb for the same price without me doing
anything.

I think it's time to dump BT - can anyone recommend a better DSL
provider? (we can't get cable in the office or I'd get Blueyonder - it's

been excellent).

Marc

Old January 20th 06, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

marcb wrote:

I moved office recently and the DSL is working fine on the moved line.
But trying to get through to billing to change the address is almost
impossible - I got through once and they changed the address wrongly
(left out the company name and the address is wrong - it was luck the
bill came through). Now billing won't answer - left it for 15 mins just
now.

If it's a commercial line then you need to speak with billing directly,
I believe. It is generally more expensive, but when it's finally set up
properly you get better contention rates and generally a better service.

--
The Caretaker .........
Old January 20th 06, 12:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
marcb

The Caretaker wrote:

If it's a commercial line then you need to speak with billing directly,
I believe. It is generally more expensive, but when it's finally set up
properly you get better contention rates and generally a better service.

Yes, it's a business line but their billing people won't pick up. I've
always had very good service from BT before but I fear that is now at an
end. I'm also upset that they haven't automatically upgraded the line. We
were one of the first BT ADSL customers.

M.

Old January 20th 06, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
navigator

Have just upgraded a friends business line that I 'look after' for him
and we had to request the upgrade to 2mb (free) but had to sign to
another 12mths contract.

--
navigator
Old January 21st 06, 07:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

"marcb" wrote in message
And I've realised we are paying 30 a month for a 512 line . I did get
through to someone who said they couldn't upgrade the line to 2MB and I
should do it myself online - but you have to take out a new contract. Is
Marc

No, this is not correct. Your line may be limited in speed. However,
switching it over is something that has to be done by a BT Engineer. If
what they are saying is that you need to login to your account to make the
request for the upgraded speed, then this may well be true. I don't see why
they can't do this over the phone, but its probably simpler via your online
account anyway. Not worth arguing over.

The billing cockup is probably just bad luck. BT in general are slightly
more expensive but are fairly good with no hassles unless they have a glitch
in their I.T. systems. Its actually why people stay with them.

AMO

Old January 21st 06, 07:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

"navigator" wrote in message
Have just upgraded a friends business line that I 'look after' for him
and we had to request the upgrade to 2mb (free) but had to sign to
another 12mths contract.
navigator

That's usually not unreasonable if the ISP has to fork out the expense to
get an engineer out to upgrade the line specifically for your account. Its
either that or about a 65 charge which they may subsidise.

AMO

Old January 21st 06, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 07:31:30 -0000, "AMO"
wrote:

"marcb" wrote in message
And I've realised we are paying 30 a month for a 512 line . I did get
through to someone who said they couldn't upgrade the line to 2MB and I
should do it myself online - but you have to take out a new contract. Is
Marc

No, this is not correct. Your line may be limited in speed. However,
switching it over is something that has to be done by a BT Engineer. If
what they are saying is that you need to login to your account to make the
request for the upgraded speed, then this may well be true. I don't see why
they can't do this over the phone, but its probably simpler via your online
account anyway. Not worth arguing over.

The billing cockup is probably just bad luck. BT in general are slightly
more expensive but are fairly good with no hassles unless they have a glitch
in their I.T. systems. Its actually why people stay with them.

Oh come on - BT are staffed by ****wits, they have scripted lies,
incompetent engineers (packet loss stopped when I moved ISP's - proves
my PC, modem, line, exchange, pipe, were all fine, had 3 months of BT
call centre fu**wits and exchange engineers telling me it was my kit,
socket, line, firewall, etc - I knew it was bull****, but they did not
listen i.e tracerouts + pings). They charge a premium for ****ty
service, caps, bull****, and rotten customer service - that's why they
were losing 10'000's customers every month).

AMO

Old January 22nd 06, 12:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

wrote:

"marcb" wrote in message
[...]

Only problem is that they aren't losing that many & even when someone
goes to a LLU service provider they are still running on BT's network
& BT is getting paid for the priviledge of doing so. Unless you are
in a cable franchise area (or Hull), in the end you are still being
carried by BT's network & BT is getting paid for it.

The problems start when you have any network problems & then you have
to complain to the LLU operator who then has to pay BT to get things
fixed.

As for your packet loss disapearing when you change ISP's, you're
still on the same network so it's nothing to do with BT, now if you
are talking about BT Yahoo/Openworld/Broadband etc, these are all
independently run companies & have nothing to do with BT.

Next time aim your shots & don't try the blunderbuss approach it
lessens the impact on what could have been a useful post...

Old January 24th 06, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
marcb

AMO wrote:

If what they are saying is that you need to login to your account to make
the
request for the upgraded speed, then this may well be true.

Well, my main point is why I have to request an upgrade and sign up for a new
contract. Surely, like other providers (eg Blueyonder), BT should migrate its
clients to higher speeds automatcally. It's like the banks that used to let
your savings fester in outdated accounts on low interest before they got a kick
up the backside.

M.

Old January 24th 06, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:07:43 +0000 (UTC), marcb
wrote:

Surely, like other providers (eg Blueyonder), BT should migrate its
clients to higher speeds automatcally.

the terms and conditions are different, it isn't just the speed that
changes there are volume limits. My neighbour is on an unlimited 512k
account with an ISP rather than going for 2M with lots of
restrictions.

Phil
--
http://www.notspot.info/ - if you can't get the Broadband you want.