NTL and Routers?

Old January 20th 06, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BJH

Default NTL and Routers?

Hi

An old friend of mine has a PC connected to NTLWorld cable via a router and
the NTL supplied ethernet cable modem.

The last time I met up with him he was complaining about a sluggish
connection so I called support for him whilst I was there, spoke to a very
helpful guy who did something at his end which required me to connect the
NTL modem direct to the PC and the problem seemed to have been solved.

After the support call I reconnected the router (which I set to 'spoof' the
MAC code of his PC) and everything seemed OK.

The problem seems to have resurfaced. Is it possible that NTL do something
to the connection if they think a router is fitted that is sharing the
connection? If so, is there a way around it? He only has the one desktop PC
and a laptop that shares via WIFI and its generally only one or the other
so he's not what I would call a 'Power User'!

--
Regards
Barry
Old January 20th 06, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparks

"BJH" wrote in message
[...]

Is his wireless connection secure - maybe someone next door is using it!?

Have you tried rebooting the NTL modem?

Have you tried reconnecting the NTL modem to the PC again?

Sparks...

Old January 20th 06, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweetie Pooh

BJH wrote in
:

The problem seems to have resurfaced. Is it possible that NTL do
something to the connection if they think a router is fitted that is
sharing the connection?

No but there have been reported incompatibilities with some routers and
some SACM's. Check out ntl forums esp chetnet and ntlhell.
Old January 20th 06, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jock Mackirdy

In article , Bjh wrote:

The problem seems to have resurfaced. Is it possible that NTL do something
to the connection if they think a router is fitted that is sharing the
connection? If so, is there a way around it? He only has the one desktop PC
and a laptop that shares via WIFI and its generally only one or the other
so he's not what I would call a 'Power User'!

NTL don't provide technical support for router installations but they don't
actively discourage them. My (wired) Belkin router has worked fine for over 2
years.

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford