BT Internet e-mail - problem setting up Outlook Express

Old January 20th 06, 01:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default BT Internet e-mail - problem setting up Outlook Express

(Sorry if I've posted this message more than once, Google Groups is
playing up and constantly doing its notorious 'Not Found' error (as
usual), so this is about my fifth attempt to post...)

A friend of mine is having terrible trouble getting Outlook Express to
download his BTInternet e-mail. I have been right through the account
set-up with him and everything is set up as per the instructions,
including specifying his full e-mail address in the User Name box
- although we have tried omitting the
' as well), correct password in the password box, SSL
unchecked, correct POP3/SMTP servers and settings and all the rest of
it.

However, when he tries to access his e-mail, he gets constantly
challenged for his password. Even if he then TYPES IN the correct
password, after about 1 second the authentication box just pops up
again, no matter what he types in.

I really am stuck now, and can think of only three possible causes:

1. Incorrect password. Highly unlikely, as he can access his e-mail
through the BT Yahoo webmail system using the SAME password that we try
when using Outlook. So unless, somehow, Outlook is expecting a
DIFFERENT password (which I can't see being the case), then I think I
can discount this.

2. Somehow, his account needs to be set up to allow POP3 (I know you
need to do this in GMail via the web interface before you can use it
with Outlook, but he assures me that there are no
Setup/Settings/Options links anywhere on the BT Yahoo mail web screen -
and I have to take his word on this as I haven't seen it myself).

3. XP or router firewall settings? If this is the cause, I'm hoping
someone who has had the exact same problem with a BT account may be
able to tell me what it is I need to look for...although I've yet to
hear of a domestic firewall blocking a basic e-mail account to be
honest.

Any suggestions from anyone who has experienced this would be most
welcome!

Old January 20th 06, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Has SMTP authentication been set up?
http://btybb.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt...0&p_faqid=1273

Otherwise, it is possibly an account issue for which your friend would have
to call the helpdesk on 0845 600 7030

Sometimes it will just start working again all on it's own

Nicola

Old January 20th 06, 02:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I'll double-check with him Nicola, but I'm pretty sure I set it up
exactly as specified in the online instructions...the one thing we
haven't tried is the automatic client setup facility, which may be
worth a go.

Old January 20th 06, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Soap

ups.com:

try www.pop3now.com - type in a/c details, see if it can access the server

--
Joe Soap.
JUNK is stuff that you keep for 20 years,