BT's broadband

Old January 20th 06, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PL

Default BT's broadband

We decided to opt for the BT broadband next month.

After an initial online enquiry we received this summary:

"Our initial test on your line indicates that you may be able to
have BT Broadband with download speeds up to 512Kbps,
which is up to 10 times faster than dial-up. At the moment,
your telephone line is unable to support our 2Mb speed
broadband package. Also, due to the length of your line,
an engineer visit may be required to set up your broadband
service."

We knew about the speed limit after making enquiries with
Pipex but didn't see any point in paying so much per month
for such a reduced service (and of course Pipex just blamed BT).

Well we don't think that we should pay BT's full monthly charge
(and if we use them they can't pass the buck). Ok, so we live in
the sticks but we can't get a full service because _their_ equipment
can't cope and it seems to me that whatever problems we might
have with any other ISP, they are also going to blame BT.

Has anyone experienced the same problem and if so have you
managed to reduce the BT monthly broadband supply price?

Cheers. Lisa

Old January 21st 06, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Funny KAD

"PL" wrote in message
[...]

Jesus chap , dont be moaning about a 512k service.

It's a damn sight quicker than dial up.
Been on btbroadband for three years , i can say i've never had any problems
what so ever.
Might be a bit more expensive than others , but i've never had a dissconnect
or not been able to collect my e-mail.
Over one thousand days of top dollar service.

Old January 21st 06, 12:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh PL:
[...]

Of course Pipex blamed BT, it is afterall BTs infrastructure, who else could
they blame? Same as any other ISP you want to use that will be using a BT
Wholesale service.

Old January 21st 06, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wab

Funny KAD wrote:
"PL" wrote in message

[...]

I agree there and I been with them longer!

Kind regards

Wab
Old January 21st 06, 01:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

"PL" wrote in message
[...]

Probably virtually no chance of getting reduced price with BT (or more
properly BT Yahoo!)
You are charged for bandwidth usage / limit rather than speed and according
to which BT Yahoo! extras you get

Have you seen the option comparisons for BT?
http://tinyurl.com/8dhjb

Nicola

Old January 21st 06, 07:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gutz

"Funny KAD" [email protected]**** wrote in message

"PL" wrote in message
[...]

Erm ... BT have been illegally obstructing the LLU roll out for years and
now we find out there are areas that dont even have 2mb? This is
disgusting - not an excuse to flame someone :P

Old January 21st 06, 07:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

We knew about the speed limit after making enquiries with
Pipex but didn't see any point in paying so much per month
for such a reduced service (and of course Pipex just blamed BT).

In general, if they tell you that the line is at 512K, because of where you
are situated, don't argue with it. There have been trials to try and make a
512K line faster and the effect has been detrimental. Once your line can be
supported to give higher speeds, this will happen over time.

Most people started with a 512K package and their line just gets upgraded
automatically once technology advances / more work is done at that exchange.

If you wish for things to be looked at specifically for yourself, then it
will be expensive.

I know where you're coming from in thinking that a 512K line would imply
that you are losing out compared to someone getting a 1Mb line for example.
However, these days its not really that true anymore. Anything 2Mb and
under pretty much fall into the same price band or are only at most a quid
in cost difference. The prices usually reflect the possible and likely
usage of the service than the actual line speed.

I would say that the only major detrimental effect that you might experience
is if you do realtime chatting - Skype and all that - where a 1Mb line or
more does reduce latency and breaking up of the conversation over long
distances. Of course, downloads will take longer etc, but its not that big
an issue unless you are a constant downloader.

AMO

Old January 21st 06, 07:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

It is simply a matter of physics. The longer the line the more the signal
degrades. Until more advanced technology is introduced no ISP using BT lines
will be able to offer a higher speed. You have no chance of getting a
reduced price from BT. Having said that there are plenty of ISPS that are
cheaper and better than BT.
Peter Crosland

Old January 21st 06, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

"PL" wrote in message
[...]

Zen do lower speeds:

256 = 15.31 +VAT
500 = 21.27 +VAT
1000 = 25.52+VAT
2000 = 29.78+VAT

Not cheap but excellent service with no caps or traffic shaping, just
download as much as you like all the time any time.

http://www.zenbroadband.com/adsl.aspx

Old January 21st 06, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
news via agent

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 07:14:49 -0000, "Gutz" wrote:

Erm ... BT have been illegally obstructing the LLU roll out for years and
now we find out there are areas that dont even have 2mb? This is
disgusting - not an excuse to flame someone :P

The collapse of the telecom industry around 2001-02 also had a lot to
do with the slow take-up of LLU. The TSR settlement that created
Openreach is intended to kick-start the LLU sector in more equitable
market conditions.

William