AOL old Silver service using IP router

Old January 20th 06, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ian

Default AOL old Silver service using IP router

Hi;

Reading the lists, I see there are several folks using routers to
replace the BT Voyager USB modem, but are these on the 17.99/moi
(SIlver) service?

I tried a D-Link 904 some time ago and gave up as I could not get it to
go on this service.
I guess if I can get this to go, I will not need the AOL install to get
out to the internet.

I was talked out of persuing IP instead of USB by AOL service as they
said I needed the 24.99 Gold or better service.

Anyone got the cheaper AOL service running on an IP router?

Regards
Ian

Old January 21st 06, 07:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Anyone got the cheaper AOL service running on an IP router?

Regards
Ian

If you mean by IP an ethernet ADSL router, then yes I set up a friend a
while ago using an ADSL router so she did not have to use AOL's awful
software. Theres plenty of advice on web sites about doing this if you
google on AOL router.

HTH

Dave
Old January 21st 06, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

ian wrote:
Hi;

Reading the lists, I see there are several folks using routers to
replace the BT Voyager USB modem, but are these on the 17.99/moi
(SIlver) service?

I tried a D-Link 904 some time ago and gave up as I could not get it to
go on this service.
I guess if I can get this to go, I will not need the AOL install to get
out to the internet.

It will work with the silver, but you wont be able to login to the aol
software more then one at a time, but since you are not using it, it wont
make a difference.

It is simple to set up aol (however, if there is a problem, you will recieve
no support from them). the username is
the password is your password, check though, as there are restrictions about
the length of your username and password, and the use of none alphanumeric
characters.

make sure you change the mtu to 1400 or 1450. This is where is falls down.
You should be ok following that.

Gaz

Old January 22nd 06, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ian

Hi;
then yes I set up a friend a while ago using an ADSL router

But was this this the chgeap SILVER service your so kinkly setup for UR
friend?

Regards
Ian

Old January 23rd 06, 05:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 09:16:14 -0800, ian wrote:

Hi;
then yes I set up a friend a while ago using an ADSL router

But was this this the chgeap SILVER service your so kinkly setup for UR
friend?

Regards
Ian

Must confess have no idea which service, but I cant really see that should
make any difference. A ethernet connection is an ethernet connection.

kinkly ??????

Dave

Old January 24th 06, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Orson Cart

On 20 Jan 2006 15:15:51 -0800, ian wrote:

Hi;

Reading the lists, I see there are several folks using routers to
replace the BT Voyager USB modem, but are these on the 17.99/moi
(SIlver) service?

I tried a D-Link 904 some time ago and gave up as I could not get it to
go on this service.
I guess if I can get this to go, I will not need the AOL install to get
out to the internet.

I was talked out of persuing IP instead of USB by AOL service as they
said I needed the 24.99 Gold or better service.

Anyone got the cheaper AOL service running on an IP router?

Regards
Ian

Ian,

I'm on AOL Silver and I'm using a router.

You need to set the router's MTU to 1400. Or you can change the MTU on your
PC. Aol says this about the MTU setting-

quote
What is an MTU setting and how can I change it?

MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit) defines the largest data packet size you can
transmit in one go across a network. Any messages larger than the MTU are
divided into smaller packets before being sent. The industry standard
follows the principle that in order to transmit the largest amount in one
go, an MTU should be set to a high value, such as 1500.

However, the AOL network runs at an MTU of 1400. Many routers have inbuilt
auto-configurations where the hardware identifies that the AOL traffic has
an MTU of 1400 and dynamically adjusts. If the router hardware does not
have this facility, the MTU setting can manually be changed on the PC.

This manual adjustment can be achieved by using DrTCP, a software utility
which is basically a shortcut to editing your registry and is available
online at the following Web site: http://www.broadbandreports.com/drtcp.
/quote

I have a D-Link DSL-504 router and had to fiddle around with HyperTerminal
in order to set the MTU. Perhaps you have to do the same on the 904? As a
matter of interest, other routers - Netgear 834 series, for example - let
the user set the MTU via the web interface.

A final point - I suggest that you set up another screenname that you use
exclusively with the router. You can then use your main screenname when/if
you need to (prolly for account maintenance). IIRC the password for the
router's screenname should be no more than 8 alphanumeric characters.
--
Steve