DACS & ADSL

Old January 20th 06, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mac

Default DACS & ADSL

I've been helping my bro-in-law upgrade to broadband, and we found that
the 2nd line he had installed for dial-up is via a box (hidden behind
furniture inside the house) labelled DACS2, off the 1st line. I've seen
bad references here to DACS for broadband connections!

Since there seemed to be no joined up way to order broadband &
disconnect the 2nd line all at once I got him to apply to upgrade first
and maybe try to fix things up via the engineer if one came to alter the
lines. I see the email response to the order says a 1Mbs connection
rather than 2 (BT Yahoo Option 1). I suspect this may not be accidental.

Anyone guess how this will play out? If he gets a restricted speed, can
it easily be fixed once the 2nd line is cancelled?
Old January 20th 06, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Mac wrote:

I've been helping my bro-in-law upgrade to broadband, and we found that
the 2nd line he had installed for dial-up is via a box (hidden behind
furniture inside the house) labelled DACS2, off the 1st line. I've seen
bad references here to DACS for broadband connections!

Since there seemed to be no joined up way to order broadband &
disconnect the 2nd line all at once I got him to apply to upgrade first
and maybe try to fix things up via the engineer if one came to alter the
lines. I see the email response to the order says a 1Mbs connection
rather than 2 (BT Yahoo Option 1). I suspect this may not be accidental.

Anyone guess how this will play out? If he gets a restricted speed, can
it easily be fixed once the 2nd line is cancelled?

(Delay)
Engineer needs to call, you get appointment
(possible delay ;-) or loop until )
Engineer arrives and DACS goes away. Possibly some upheaval as they
will reinstate line 2 as pure copper !
Line 1 has BB at 1Mb
Line 2 magically has dial up at 44k not 28k.
Cancel line 2
Line 1 still has BB at 1Mb

Now whether you can avert line 2 being 'reinstated' (or even bother ) I
don't know.

A quick fiddle behind the furniture is less drastic than my parents
installation which took a week of various visits with diggers, cranes
and pumps to complete.

Bill
Old January 23rd 06, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mac

bill wrote:

Mac wrote:

[...]

Just to followup, it went well. An engineer called asking if anyone knew
where the DACS box was, and seemed glad to get in out of the rain! He
got my bro-in-law to call to cancel the 2nd line and meanwhile removed
the DACS box, and - v helpful - rewired the 2nd line cable into their
study as an extension to line 1, so that saves me a small job.

BT's Voyager kit arrived, but the CD didn't seem to do anything (on a
Mac) so I went round and set it up manually. Happy people! I didn't have
time to check the connection speed tho.

Guess they got an engineer with the time & inclination to do the helpful
thing.