Changing ISP and risk of losing website

Old January 21st 06, 06:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

Default Changing ISP and risk of losing website

Thanks to people who have given advice and have offered practical
assistance in the matter of changing service provider without risking
loss or damage to my website.

I appear to have lost the received messages so I cannot reply in
detail to individuals. As I said, I am accident prone. ;o)

However I have got the jist of what can be, and ought not be done. It
appears to me, a relative novice, a complicated business.
And I cannot depend on service providers to lubricate the necessary
procedures. It would be better, at present, to postpone any change.

Eventually, I would wish to change to another provider on a 1 to 1
basis (just as I am at present) without the need for intervention by a
third party who would require a small annual payment for doing
something inexplicable to me. All done simultaneously with the
website address being changed to a shorter one.

I do have a grandson who is at university, several hundred miles away,
on a lengthy IT course. At some time in the future he should be able
to show me which computer keys to depress. Or indeed, depress them
himself. If anything should go wrong I can always blame HIM. ;o)

Thanks again for responding to my call for assistance in plain English
with a minum of jargon. I wish you all the best of career prospects.
----
Reg.

Old January 21st 06, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

In case you did not see my posts to your original query.
I have made copy of your web site which can be found he

http://www.hydrogene.co.uk/g4fgq

It can stay on my server for as long as you like.

This means that you can do whatever with your Internet Service

Provider
without losing you website.
Johnn DH

=======================================

Dear John,

I have read your previous correspondence and have taken note of the
address from which my complete website can be recovered. I have tested
it and all is fine.

I have no idea how it is done but perhaps there's no need for me to
understand such technical matters. There must be many people in the
same position as myself.

From my website there are more than 200 visits and downloads,
world-wide, per day. It is a valuable resource in the field of radio
engineering, not just amateur radio. I receive queries from
professional engineers. I am a long retired engineer myself. But it is
strictly non-commercial. I just like to be useful.

So you can appreciate my concern about loss or damage being caused
during transfer from one service provider to another. I have the
impression from newsgroups that service providers couldn't care two
hoots about the reliability of service they are supposed to provide!

My thanks once again for your very real, expert and practical
assistance in case it is needed. You are probably very busy. There's
no need for a reply.
----
Reg.