Wierd ADSL problem

Old January 21st 06, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BristolRenter

Default Wierd ADSL problem

Hello -

I've just signed up with Demon for ADSL over a BT line. Demon Tech Support
aren't answering the phone at present, so here's my problem:

I get a very poor downstream SNR, usually less than 3, frequently negative,
and the connection is dropped frequently.

The wierd thing is that when I make a voice call the SNR magically rises to
about 14 and the ADSL works fine, although the voice line is a bit noisy. As
soon as the voice call ends, the ADSL is rubbish again.

Is there a likely solution for this? Thanks (more details below)

The router (Zoom X3) is plugged into a microfilter, and the microfilter is
plugged directly into the master socket. I've tried diferent microfilters.
The router works fine at another property with an ADSL line. The upstream
SNR is generally 10, the downstream attenuation about 40, and the upstream
attenuation about 25. There's no obvious damage between the master socket
and where the cable goes into the ground

Old January 21st 06, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
barry

BristolRenter wrote:
[...]

try without any microfilters and unplug everything else from the phone
line. see what the snr is. if its ok, then that batch of filters could
be crappy. I know you've tried several filters, but they could all be
rubbish and at least this will really eliminate them
Old January 21st 06, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

BristolRenter wrote:

[...]

It sounds like one of those cases of a bad connection somewhere between your
house and the exchange - where the extra current required for the voice call
'wets' it, and makes ADSL work, too.

You'll have to get Demon to get BT to check the line.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 21st 06, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 17:27:52 -0000, "BristolRenter"
wrote:

The wierd thing is that when I make a voice call the SNR magically rises to
about 14 and the ADSL works fine, although the voice line is a bit noisy. As
soon as the voice call ends, the ADSL is rubbish again.

report a voice fault to 151 or via bt.com if its noisy. The symptoms
are those of a high resistance joint fault / cable break so it needs
BT to fix it.

As its audible 151 can help, if it isn't then Demon need to ask BT for
help with an ADSL problem.

Phil

Old January 21st 06, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Tiscali Tim used his keyboard to write :
It sounds like one of those cases of a bad connection somewhere between your
house and the exchange - where the extra current required for the voice call
'wets' it, and makes ADSL work, too.

I would second that diagnosis.

Try the modem plugged directly into the line with no filter and if you
still have a problem the cause is most likely a problem on your line to
the exchange or at the exchange itself. Otherwise your problem is
internal/or an extension.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old January 22nd 06, 12:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Tiscali Tim used his keyboard to write :
It sounds like one of those cases of a bad connection somewhere
between your house and the exchange - where the extra current
required for the voice call 'wets' it, and makes ADSL work, too.

I would second that diagnosis.

Try the modem plugged directly into the line with no filter and if
you still have a problem the cause is most likely a problem on your
line to the exchange or at the exchange itself. Otherwise your
problem is internal/or an extension.

Disconnect the faceplate & test from thair & then you'll know whether
it's your extensions (BT chargable) or the network (BT not chargable)