Recommended Wireless Gaming Adapter for Xbox

Old January 22nd 06, 01:13 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.games.video.xbox,uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

Default Recommended Wireless Gaming Adapter for Xbox

I'm looking to get a wireless gaming adapter for my XBox.

E.g.

Does anyone recommend any particular gaming adapter (sold in the U.K.)? I
assume that they're all pretty much easy to use.

Any in particular to be good value?

Thanx.

AMO

Old January 22nd 06, 02:39 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.games.video.xbox,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Logan

any wireless gaming adaptor which connects to the ethernet port will work on
xbox and xbox 360

i have the new version you displayed from amazon good choice !!!

Old January 22nd 06, 05:19 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.games.video.xbox,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 13:13:21 -0000, "AMO"
wrote:

I'm looking to get a wireless gaming adapter for my XBox.

E.g.

Does anyone recommend any particular gaming adapter (sold in the U.K.)? I
assume that they're all pretty much easy to use.

Any in particular to be good value?

Thanx.

AMO

I have the Netgear WGE111 and it shas been very reliable, works well
with WPA encryption enabled.

PC World have it for 48.51 if you reserve it online then pick it up
from the store. It is actually cheaper than a lot of online shops...

http://tinyurl.com/cmqkr
Old January 22nd 06, 06:10 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.games.video.xbox,uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

"Dave Logan" wrote in message
any wireless gaming adaptor which connects to the ethernet port will work
on xbox and xbox 360

i have the new version you displayed from amazon good choice !!!

Hi Dave. Thanx for that and to all else who replied. At least I know that
I'm not getting ripped off or anything.

For what seems such a basic device, I don't see why it should cost more than
20.

AMO

Old January 22nd 06, 08:03 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.games.video.xbox,uk.telecom.broadband
Grebo

One warning, things like this :

will not fit in the USB slot in the back of the XBox due to the way the case
around the USB slot is designed

Graeme

Old January 23rd 06, 08:28 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.games.video.xbox,uk.telecom.broadband
flyingflea

Just use a USB extension cable. They cost next to nothing.

Old January 23rd 06, 09:27 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.games.video.xbox,uk.telecom.broadband

Using a USB cable or otherwise would be a waste of money. USB wireless
adapters all need drivers to work properly, and the 360 has no support
for anything other than the official USB adapter.

Any ethernet gaming adapter/ethernet bridge will work, because as far
as the thing it's plugged into is concerned it looks like a wired
connection, and needs no drivers installed (you may need to plug it
into a PC first to set up appropriate IP addresses and such).

www.nickknows.com sell a cheap SMC super-g ethernet bridge for about
30.

Old January 23rd 06, 04:48 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.games.video.xbox,uk.telecom.broadband
DCA

flyingflea wrote:
Just use a USB extension cable. They cost next to nothing.

The guy is asking about the xbox - not the 360. The xbox only has an
RJ45 ethernet plug
The post suggesting the WGE111 is a good one - it will fit both
Old January 24th 06, 02:04 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.games.video.xbox,uk.telecom.broadband
Stroller

In article ,
"AMO" wrote:

"Dave Logan" wrote in message
any wireless gaming adaptor which connects to the ethernet port will work
on xbox and xbox 360

i have the new version you displayed from amazon good choice !!!

Hi Dave. Thanx for that and to all else who replied. At least I know that
I'm not getting ripped off or anything.

For what seems such a basic device, I don't see why it should cost more than
20.

It may seem like it's fulfilling quite a basic task, but its cleverness
is in that it hides all the complexity away from the user. There's a
wireless card in there, a little computer, a TCP/IP stack, everything
needed to do the wireless encryption and usually a web-server, too (so
you can set the WEP key). A wireless adaptor (PCI, cardbus or USB) has
no built-in software component - most of the functionality is done in
the PC, so that has to be recreated in hardware for an adaptor box like
this.

Although I haven't used this particular model, I like the Netgear stuff.
I've used other bridges by them & they're dead easy to set up, but
that's probably the case of the Linksys & of any other model, too.
http://tinyurl.com/atx6u

Stroller.
Old January 24th 06, 07:25 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.games.video.xbox,uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

"Stroller" wrote in message
[...]

Thanx Stroller and to all else who replied. The Netgear one is the one I'm
going to go for. Glad that I get quite a bit for my money! ;0)

AMO