Zen just aren't doing it

Old January 22nd 06, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

Default Zen just aren't doing it

"Boss Hog" wrote in message
I'm very disappointed with my Zen connection, and the lack of support
from them.

I am getting less than 1000k speeds, and they haven't responded to my
requests for help, save to say they advised I change filters. As the
line in question /only/ has a router connected, I don't need filters,
but I did put one in place to do as I was asked.

My 'back-up' 14.99 Plusnet connection on another line at the premises
- which incidentally is the same wire from the pole - works
flawlessly.

Anyone suggest what I can do to get this problem acknowledged as
needing attention by Zen? 20 quid a month more for something
considerably less is not going to continue.

Where did you test speed?

Because Zen's tester is broken at the moment.

Old January 22nd 06, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:21:18 +0000, Boss Hog
wrote:

I'll give support another try, because at this rate, I'm going to
cancel the connection with them anyway, it's not worth 35 quid a
month.

so its a 2M connection ? what speeds do you typically get, what
exchange are you on, does the router show lots of CRC errors or
errored seconds, what's the RWIN and MTU set at, what are the
attenuation and snr/noise margin statistics ?

Phil

Old January 22nd 06, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ctl

"Boss Hog" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 13:15:46 -0000, "It's Me" wrote:

Where did you test speed?

Because Zen's tester is broken at the moment.

This has been occurring since i migrated to them, at the end of
December.

I have run speed tests via adslguide.org and Zen's tester. I have also
logged into the BT test connection and tried that.

Admittedly, sometimes, the speed increases to something acceptable,
but most of the time, it just crawls.

I'll give support another try, because at this rate, I'm going to
cancel the connection with them anyway, it's not worth 35 quid a
month.

Now we're getting to the real problem! You're annoyed that other services
are cheaper and you didn't research before being stuck paying 35 a month !
Why didn't you just say you wanted to get out of a contract early and go
elsewhere, it would have been easier for people to advise you. That's well
over the top, you can get the same speed from Tiscali for half of that.
Saying about the company ignoring you isn't right as you state they haven't
and they give you advice. But is there really a technical fault! Then you
state the speed is slow but sometimes OK. So it isn't slow, it's probably a
limit being placed on any peer2peer connections you have and maybe some of
the sites you use are slow.
The ISP can't fix a problem if it doesn't exist. Why pay for TWO ADSL
lines and connections, cancel the one you found you dont want now and stick
to one. Save yourself a lot of money. It pays to research.

Old January 22nd 06, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

No peer to peer down/uploads here.
Email, surfing, rare gaming, web cam occasionally.

Well I do all that and more on a 512K connection.

Dave
Old January 22nd 06, 07:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 17:10:27 +0000, Boss Hog
wrote:

All figures are well within range, and acceptable. The other line I
have (which is simply another pair in the same cable) is absolutely
perfect. There are no noticeable differences in the router 'stats'
when I plug the router onto the other [Plusnet] line.

if the exchange has a contention problem it can affect one path and
not another, it may not be the ISP.

The BT Speedtest login tests the line independant of the ISP, if its
purely a Zen issue you should see good results from that despite the
poor ones from Zen. If its as bad there's a common factor which isn't
the ISP.

Phil

Old January 23rd 06, 12:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

All figures are well within range, and acceptable. The other line I
have (which is simply another pair in the same cable) is absolutely
perfect. There are no noticeable differences in the router 'stats'
when I plug the router onto the other [Plusnet] line.

Its only aanother pair in the same cable as far as the first cabinet. When I
had two lines I believe that they took different routes to the exchange.
They certainly showed differnt stats even thought they were with the same
ISP the performance was albeit, slightly different between trhe two.