Significant problems with BT Broadband

Old January 22nd 06, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Talintyre

Default Significant problems with BT Broadband

For the last week I've found that we're getting a lot of "The Page cannot be
displayed" errors. This doesn't happen to all sites. For instance
google.co.uk often fails as do pages on home.bt.yahoo.com! But, I've yet to
see any link to bbc.co.uk fail.

I tried the BT technical help line and my expectations were met - they were
hopeless. They insisted on spending about 15 minutes checking my ADSL
connection worked when this was clearly not the problem.

I tried another machine at home with exactly the same problems.

Things that did work:
o Using a pay-as-you go dialup connection - I tried freeukdialup and it
worked fine
o I tried a couple of anonymous proxies and they worked better

Anyone else suffering similar problems?

Cheers, John

Old January 22nd 06, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ctl

"John Talintyre" wrote in message
For the last week I've found that we're getting a lot of "The Page cannot
be displayed" errors. This doesn't happen to all sites. For instance
google.co.uk often fails as do pages on home.bt.yahoo.com! But, I've yet
to see any link to bbc.co.uk fail.

I tried the BT technical help line and my expectations were met - they
were hopeless. They insisted on spending about 15 minutes checking my
ADSL connection worked when this was clearly not the problem.

I tried another machine at home with exactly the same problems.

Things that did work:
o Using a pay-as-you go dialup connection - I tried freeukdialup and it
worked fine
o I tried a couple of anonymous proxies and they worked better

Anyone else suffering similar problems?

Cheers, John

Either the BT DNS servers are haing a fit or the sites you want are off or
incorrectly spelt. That's the only thing I can say! As the pages appear
through ISPs then it must be BT DNS servers. They will never admit this,
just like NTL don't, so you could spend hours with someone saying you need
to reformat your HD, reinstall windows, alter settings etc.
I wouldn't even bother phoning a technical help line - just report the BT
problem via email and wait. Keep refusing to phone them until they listen!
Some ISPs should get a few people in that know about computers rather than
people reading from a script. I am sure you know when your PC is working
you leave it and don't alter all the settings - so if something goes wrong
it is always the ISP at fault in most cases.

Old January 22nd 06, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

"ctl" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, this has been happening to th majority of BT BB users this week.
Firstly there are exchange upgrades happening between 12am and 6am - we are
aware this entails upgrading DSLAM's, but there is other work going on
probably outside these hours which BT don't want to seem to admit to. They
have said that servers are being upgraded / worked on, but which servers we
haven't been told. Could be DNS, RAS anything really. Anyhow, the info is
it should all be completed by Monday.

The frustration is that someone obviously knew somewhere that there was
something happening and if BT had been forthcoming with communications, they
could have saved themsleves getting a lot of calls to the helpdesk (who are
nigh on useless anyway)

Any business customers / resellers / ISP staff out there get any info from
BT on anything happening?

Old January 22nd 06, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Talintyre

Thanks for your thoughts. I wonder if a reverse proxy might be failing. I
thought of DNS, but nslookup and ping were working on sites that were
failing. A couple of questions:
o how do you know that the majority of BT Broadband customers are
affected?
o I would have emailed BT - but couldn't find a suitable email address.

Cheers, John

Old January 22nd 06, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

"ctl" wrote in message

[...]

Posts in bt.broadband.support, on ADSLGuide, elsewhere on forums on the
Internet, from friends and most importantly from BT Broadband support saying
"problem affecting 1000's of users" and experiencing a high number of calls
to the helpdesk.

A problem with an Edge Switch Router at Milton Keynes affected me yesterday
and a MK ATM problem on 19th Jan.