BT Broadband Talk - Which Router?

Old January 22nd 06, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fred Finisterre

Default BT Broadband Talk - Which Router?

Hi,

I want to get BT Broadband Talk. I already have a Netgear DG834G
modem/router and a wirleess network of several PCs.

Which BT device do I need to go alongside this? The Voyager 10V, the
Voyager 220V or the Voyager 2500V. I would prefer to use the
modem/wireless built into the DG834G if possible, and just use the BT
device for the phone.

Yours confused,

Fred.

Old January 22nd 06, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

fred finisterre wrote:
|| Hi,
|| I want to get BT Broadband Talk. I already have a Netgear DG834G
|| modem/router and a wirleess network of several PCs.
|| Which BT device do I need to go alongside this? The Voyager 10V, the
|| Voyager 220V or the Voyager 2500V. I would prefer to use the
|| modem/wireless built into the DG834G if possible, and just use the BT
|| device for the phone.
|| Yours confused,
|| Fred.

Without actually aswering your question (sorry), what attracts you to the BT
offering?

Monthly fees?
Strange 056 inbound number that can't be called from all PSTNs?
3ppm daytime call charges?
Free equipment?

Old January 22nd 06, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
john

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
fred finisterre wrote:
|| Hi,
|| I want to get BT Broadband Talk. I already have a Netgear DG834G
|| modem/router and a wirleess network of several PCs.
|| Which BT device do I need to go alongside this? The Voyager 10V, the
|| Voyager 220V or the Voyager 2500V. I would prefer to use the
|| modem/wireless built into the DG834G if possible, and just use the BT
|| device for the phone.
|| Yours confused,
|| Fred.

Without actually aswering your question (sorry), what attracts you to the
BT offering?

Monthly fees?
Strange 056 inbound number that can't be called from all PSTNs?
3ppm daytime call charges?
Free equipment?

Best get yourself off to the BT site and look what it is. I wouldn't use it
as I prefer not to use the same phone at home as the one I use when out and
about. I also think the cost of doing that and having BT broadband is way
over the top. It would be cheaper to have a basic BT landline, then use a
PAYG mobile unless a contract is really required, then ADSL from someone
like Tiscali and finally if cheap calls are required - use one of the prepay
systems.
Save a fortune and still have the same things. Then you don't get tied to
one company and can change.
Some people that don't know much will tend to go for the all in one package,
that's what BT relies upon. It makes them feel safer for some reason! They
trade off being made to feel safe for higher costs.

Old January 22nd 06, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fred Finisterre

Without actually aswering your question (sorry), what attracts you to the
BT offering?

Monthly fees?
Strange 056 inbound number that can't be called from all PSTNs?
3ppm daytime call charges?
Free equipment?

Well truth be told, I'm asking on behalf of a friend who has already signed
up for it, but has lost the instructions for the Voyager 10V BT sent. I've
had trouble setting it up without these, and I'm not even sure this was the
right device to go alongside his Netgear DG834G, hence my question.

Is anybody using a 10V alongside a DG834G?

Thanks,

Fred.

Old January 22nd 06, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

john wrote:
|| "Jono" wrote in message
|| . ..
||| Without actually aswering your question (sorry), what attracts you
||| to the BT offering?
||| Monthly fees?
||| Strange 056 inbound number that can't be called from all PSTNs?
||| 3ppm daytime call charges?
||| Free equipment?
|| Best get yourself off to the BT site and look what it is. I
|| wouldn't use it as I prefer not to use the same phone at home as the
|| one I use when out and about. I also think the cost of doing that
|| and having BT broadband is way over the top. It would be cheaper to
|| have a basic BT landline, then use a PAYG mobile unless a contract
|| is really required, then ADSL from someone like Tiscali and finally
|| if cheap calls are required - use one of the prepay systems.
|| Save a fortune and still have the same things. Then you don't get
|| tied to one company and can change.
|| Some people that don't know much will tend to go for the all in one
|| package, that's what BT relies upon. It makes them feel safer for
|| some reason! They trade off being made to feel safe for higher
|| costs.

Yep, I know what it is, I just didn't want to openly slate it!

I'm intrigued as to what you think it is........

from BT's site:
"Talk through your broadband using a normal touch-tone phone"

How do you go about taking your normal touchtone phone with you to use when
you're out & about?

There are many other VoIP services available at lower cost.

I was interested to learn what attracted the OP to their service, with the
abundance of alternatives.

Old January 22nd 06, 11:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Jono wrote:

much SNIPPED

I'm intrigued as to what you think it is........

How do you go about taking your normal touchtone phone with
you to use when you're out & about?

I suspect that John is thinking of the BT Fusion device, which,
from memory, goes from GSM to using Bluetooth once within your
home and in range of their special router, so it can then use
IP for the call. I'm probably quite wrong, and anyone who's
thinking of this would need to do lots of further reading!!

Old January 22nd 06, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Fred Finisterre wrote:

Is anybody using a 10V alongside a DG834G?

How about asking on uk.telecom.voip ????