Tiscali - can you do wireless and non-wireless broadband

Old January 23rd 06, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Tiscali - can you do wireless and non-wireless broadband

Hopefully someone will think this is a totally silly question but I've
had a bit of a mental block....

Basically my other half and I have laptops each. We also have a (new)
broadband connection with Tiscali which comes with a USB ADSL modem
thingie. My other half's laptop doesn't do wireless but mine does so I
am keen to also get this working at home. So my questions a

What wireless device will work with the Tiscali broadband package?
Is it possible to set the broadband up so that I can use Wireless and
my other half use the non-wireless (not necessarily at the same time
although that would be nice!) without having to fiddle with wires
etc...?

Any advice/suggestions appreciated, especially if in an 'idiot proof'
style format!

Many thanks

nickyking

Old January 23rd 06, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hopefully someone will think this is a totally silly question but I've
had a bit of a mental block....

Basically my other half and I have laptops each. We also have a (new)
broadband connection with Tiscali which comes with a USB ADSL modem
thingie. My other half's laptop doesn't do wireless but mine does so I
am keen to also get this working at home. So my questions a

What wireless device will work with the Tiscali broadband package?
Is it possible to set the broadband up so that I can use Wireless and
my other half use the non-wireless (not necessarily at the same time
although that would be nice!) without having to fiddle with wires
etc...?

Any advice/suggestions appreciated, especially if in an 'idiot proof'
style format!

Many thanks

nickyking

The most ideal solution for you would to be to get a wireless router.

Basically a box that sits on the end of your phone line and permantly
connects you to broadband. As it is wireless, you can connect to it from
within the wireless range whenever you want and when your other half is
about he can connect to it via a ethernet cable. The cable could be near
the router, going between floors or wherever your imagination takes you.
They will generally have 3 or 4 connectors so you could connect 4 wired
computers and many wireless ones.

Also if your other halfs laptop doesnt do wireless, as long as he had a pc
card slot, he should be able to connect a wireless card and be able to pick
up wireless via that.

Old January 23rd 06, 11:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
john

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hopefully someone will think this is a totally silly question but I've
had a bit of a mental block....

Basically my other half and I have laptops each. We also have a (new)
broadband connection with Tiscali which comes with a USB ADSL modem
thingie. My other half's laptop doesn't do wireless but mine does so I
am keen to also get this working at home. So my questions a

What wireless device will work with the Tiscali broadband package?
Is it possible to set the broadband up so that I can use Wireless and
my other half use the non-wireless (not necessarily at the same time
although that would be nice!) without having to fiddle with wires
etc...?

Any advice/suggestions appreciated, especially if in an 'idiot proof'
style format!

Many thanks

nickyking

Get something like a DLINK DSL904 ADSL modem with wireless router and 4 port
outlet. You can use wireless and also plug a lead between a PC and the
router. So it does both at the same time.

Old January 24th 06, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nickyking

Yes I'm an existing subscriber to oddpost.com I think it's about $5 per
year although thinking about it they haven't charged me since the
Yahoo! deal....!
I really like Oddpost although I'm thinking of changing as I get a lot
of spam now I've had the email address for about 4 years and use it a
lot to register on websites - Oddpost has a quite good system for
putting the spam in a separate folder but I just find it depressing
that I get more messages offering me replica rolex than from my
friends!

Thanks to everyone for the messages about the wireless connection.
Plenty for me to be researching!

Take care

nickyking