What to do about DACS?

Old January 24th 06, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Default What to do about DACS?

A neighbour, with Pipex, is on 512 Mbps, and should definitely be able
to get 1 Meg. I get 1 Meg and I am further from the exchange than he is
- and also his router statistics are better than mine. He is getting
attenuation 49 and noise margin 25.

He does have two phone lines - and I suspect they are DACSed.

What action does he need to take?
Whom should he contact?
What's the best way for him to get results?
--
Chris
Old January 24th 06, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
A neighbour, with Pipex, is on 512 Mbps, and should definitely be able to
get 1 Meg. I get 1 Meg and I am further from the exchange than he is - and
also his router statistics are better than mine. He is getting attenuation
49 and noise margin 25.

He does have two phone lines - and I suspect they are DACSed.

What action does he need to take?
Whom should he contact?
What's the best way for him to get results?
--
Chris

He doesn't have a DACS on his line. If he did, he would not be able to have
any BB provision. Even though you may be further from the exchange (distance
wise) it may be that the route back to the exchange takes a more direct
route than your neighbour. Also you may have good quality copper running
from your house to the exhange, whilst your neighbour may have c**p quality
(or even aluminium instead of copper). His cable route may take a different
path back to the exchange, or it could be spliced with different quality
copper.

The speed at which BB can be relayed over copper ATM lines is determined on
several factors, not just line length.

Old January 24th 06, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sucuba Dude

It's not always as simple as one house having one speed and one another. BT
went through a process of migration a while ago upgrading lines free of
charge. If you were on 512 they went 1Meg, if you were 1 meg they went 2
meg. They never bothered telling anyone much. Some lines could not support
it and when the customer called in to say there broadband was failing they
got regraded. Alot could withstand the extra speed. However, the wholesale
broadband checker has always been crap and will often only allow 512 despite
the DP having faster working connections on it.

There is now a process to do a forced re-grade and I did it with BT to get
my 512 upped to 1meg. And that was with BT as a ISP and they are bloody crap
(that said plusnet refused to ask them so I kissed them goodbye for a second
time).

Some ISP's appear to order 512 as it's the cheapest wholesale option (or so
they believe) and lie to the end user or say nothing about speed.

Hassle your ISP for a forced regrade. It can be done and there is a process
in place in BT to do it. If it fails or becomes unreliable it can always be
undone.

Good luck.

Old January 24th 06, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
john

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
A neighbour, with Pipex, is on 512 Mbps, and should definitely be able to
get 1 Meg. I get 1 Meg and I am further from the exchange than he is - and
also his router statistics are better than mine. He is getting attenuation
49 and noise margin 25.

He does have two phone lines - and I suspect they are DACSed.

What action does he need to take?
Whom should he contact?
What's the best way for him to get results?
--
Chris

Tell your neighbour to come to the group and we'll tell him.

Old January 24th 06, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:08:54 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

A neighbour, with Pipex, is on 512 Mbps, and should definitely be able
to get 1 Meg. I get 1 Meg and I am further from the exchange than he is
- and also his router statistics are better than mine. He is getting
attenuation 49 and noise margin 25.

so he can have 1M if the www.bt.com/broadband checker says so. Why
doesn't he just order it instead of dreaming up complications ? If the
checker says 512k only then visit ADSLguides message boards, General
Chatter section and there's a sticky there on how to get it fixed.

Phil
--
http://www.notspot.info/ - if you can't get the Broadband you want.
Old January 25th 06, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve C

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:08:54 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

He does have two phone lines - and I suspect they are DACSed.

A DACS in the way would mean absolutely no ADSL at all.. so that can't
be true.

However, If he has 2 lines - why not check ADSL availability on the
second line?? - you never know it may be possible to get higher speed
on the one line than on the other.

Regards

Steve