How to send mail from Outlook while overseas (receipt is fine)

Old January 24th 06, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Butler

Default How to send mail from Outlook while overseas (receipt is fine)

Which options does a user have these days for sending e-mail (via MS
Outlook) while roaming around various countries?

It's not an option asking the user to reconfigure the SMTP settings to the
local provider at each location.

Access must be via MS Outlook (due to plug-ins to 3rd party apps) - Hotmail,
webmail are not options.

AOL Option
=========

I've spoken to AOL, as one potential option. After a thorougly draining
experience trying to communicate my problem and being given the answers to
different questions altogether, I have this information:

1. We can purchase "AOL's Bring Your Own Access" for 6.99/month - which
provides dialup access overseas.

2. To send e-mail from an overseas location requires that the sender's
address in Outlook is set up as rather than
. (If correct, this option is unacceptable.)

3. I'm unclear if access will be available via network connections at, say,
a hotel, conference center or client site.

Would the AOL account suit our needs?

Other options/thoughts:
================

--- 1 ---
I've looked into running a local SMTP server (supplied with XP), but I know
that some ISPs will block port 25 access to any location but their own SMTP
servers - so, that will probably not be the solution.

--- 2 ---
Dedicate an SMTP server at our UK office location but only accept incomming
connections on an otherwise unused port (not port 25 or other common blocked
ports) with strong passwords and no anonymous relaying, (with a
certificate?).

Is this viable, and what do I need to set it up (any easy-to-use free, or
free demo and purchase when happy, apps that can do this?) - perhaps XP can
do it by setting up some port forwarding on the router/firewall (I can't see
any options in the IIS settings to change the SMTP port)?

Are there any providers of such a service already (i.e. SMTP/port 25
disguises)?

--- 3 ---
Remote Desktop is unlikely to be an option, but we'd try it if it were the
only way.

Any thoughts or links?

Thanks.

Old January 24th 06, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , Joe Butler
writes
Which options does a user have these days for sending e-mail (via MS
Outlook) while roaming around various countries?

It's not an option asking the user to reconfigure the SMTP settings to the
local provider at each location.

Access must be via MS Outlook (due to plug-ins to 3rd party apps) - Hotmail,
webmail are not options.

How about establishing a VPN back to the office. Then use the office
SMTP settings.

There is a VPN client built into W2k & XP. Set up a server at the
office. VPN network icon on the desktop. Once the user has Internet
access (by whatever means), click the icon to establish the VPN.

If you need more security, I am sure there are some token or smartcard
based VPN authentication solutions out there.

Might be fairly slow over a dial-up link, but should work OK from
Hotels, conference centres, WiFi hotspots etc.

Regards
--
Peter R Cook
Old January 24th 06, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant

"Joe Butler" wrote in
message
Which options does a user have these days for sending e-mail (via MS
Outlook) while roaming around various countries?

If all you want is SMTP,
http://www.uk.clara.net/btbroadband/ is ten quid a
year. I've been a happy customer for a couple of years.

If you want connectivity as well, their iPass product was good value at ~50
one-off plus call charges when I last looked:
http://www.uk.clara.net/claraaccess/ipass.php

I've also heard good things about www.maglobe.com

Old January 24th 06, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Joe Butler wrote:

Which options does a user have these days for sending e-mail (via MS
Outlook) while roaming around various countries?

It's not an option asking the user to reconfigure the SMTP settings
to the local provider at each location.

Access must be via MS Outlook (due to plug-ins to 3rd party apps) - Hotmail,
webmail are not options.

There's dial-up available using many ISPs on local numbers, on the
iPass service. I've not used it, but you could do worse than look
around for pricing from a few UK ISPs. Check www.jetset-roam.net
(and then perhaps look for other pricing - I don't know how much a
different ISP might charge - some may require a monthly account to
be able to allow you iPass, so there might be hidden costs).

As for the e-mail, I know Claranet's mail + news (9.99/year) gives
you send a receive, and can allow use of port 2525 as well as 25,
so for outgoing mail, will normally bypass an ISPs trap on 25.

Other services such as mailsnare.net, fastmail.fm, runbox.com also
offer POP/IMAP/SMTP facilities with alternative ports available -
even port 80 is usable on one of them. HTH. Peter M.

Old January 24th 06, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Which options does a user have these days for sending e-mail (via MS
Outlook) while roaming around various countries?

VNC *might* be an option, but I wouldn`t want to leave it online
indefinitely - it could potentially leave your system at home
completely open to anyone able to guess the password...

Other than that, you use a small viewer program to make the connection
and its like you`re sat in front of the remote computer.

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****
Old January 24th 06, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 18:28:58 -0000, "Joe Butler"
wrote:

Which options does a user have these days for sending e-mail (via MS
Outlook) while roaming around various countries?

Any thoughts or links?

Thanks.

a lot of ISPs will allow you to access their smtp server from anywhere
as long as you authnticate. I have access to 2 such servers, one
supplied by my ISP (blueyonder) and another supplied by my domain
host.
Old January 24th 06, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:54:27 +0000, Grant wrote:

"Joe Butler" wrote in
message
Which options does a user have these days for sending e-mail (via MS
Outlook) while roaming around various countries?

If all you want is SMTP,
http://www.uk.clara.net/btbroadband/ is ten quid a
year. I've been a happy customer for a couple of years.

http://www.fastmail.fm has a member account at US$14.95 for life, which
give smtp access + imap + webmail.

Old January 24th 06, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Raven

Joe Butler wrote:
Which options does a user have these days for sending e-mail (via MS
Outlook) while roaming around various countries?

I do that all the time using two methods. The best is to set up a VPN
back to the office network then you can log onto the Exchange Server and
run Outlook as normal. A VPN is a good idea anyway as it gives you
confidence on security which using any available hotspot or hotel
network does not. The other is that Exchange Server has a Web Access
capability so you can log on and do most stuff through any browser. Not
quite as clean and easy as the VPN but allows you to work from Internet
Cafes etc.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old January 25th 06, 09:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

wrote:

Which options does a user have these days for sending e-mail (via MS
Outlook) while roaming around various countries?

snip

Gmail should do everything you need and it has truckloads of storage
space and is free. I can send and receive to/from my Gmail account
from Outlook 2003 and it is completely ISP agnostic -just needs
setting up properly in Outlook. Instructions here....

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=13278

It will also do mail forward while hanging on to the original for you.

HTH,
Tim.

--
To save on your shopping click here - http://www.rpoints.com/?ruid=44653
To sign up with PlusNet click here - http://tinyurl.com/b9wqs
Old January 25th 06, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Slugsie

"Joe Butler" wrote in message
Which options does a user have these days for sending e-mail (via MS
Outlook) while roaming around various countries?

You could always use your own SMTP server on the computer you're using. If
you have XP Pro or 2000 Pro, then you can use MS's one that comes with the
OS. It's dependant however on your connection allowing outgoing SMTP traffix
(port 25), not all do.

--
/Slugsie